• Dec 30th, 2014 10:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes

Home Alarms and VOIP

We have decided to go the route of Omma and VOIP and wondering how this would affect our home alarm system?

I am currently on Rogers Home phone, and will be porting our home phone number over once satisfied with the service. Our home alarm is not monitored over the phone line it is a typical set up, but do I need to do anything with it to continue it's use? Confused by what I am reading...
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
3097 posts
1514 upvotes
QC, Canada
??? If you're not monitored over phone line its won't change anything.. If you are that another story ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
koontzy wrote: ??? If you're not monitored over phone line its won't change anything.. If you are that another story ;)
well we are hooked in through our phone line to them, etc, but from what I am reading if you go on VOIP you have to make changes, etc? It's not the voice activated alarm like Alarm Force, should have explained myself better.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
Call your alarm company to find out what they can do for you first. I just recently switched to ooma and had my alarm upgraded to the wireless monitoring for $3 more for 2 years.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
redsfan wrote: well we are hooked in through our phone line to them, etc, but from what I am reading if you go on VOIP you have to make changes, etc?
VOIP is not reliable with your home alarm service. If you go VOIP, you have a couple options (need to be supported by your alarm company):

1. Broadband Adapter - Sends alarm signals over internet
2. Native Main Board Upgrade with Internet Monitoring
3. GSM Backup (Ideal and Most Secure)
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
k, thanks for the replies. Probably worth a phone call asap.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)