• Nov 10th, 2017 11:47 am
[OP]
Aug 21, 2008
59 posts
17 upvotes
Winnipeg,Manitoba

Home Audio Advice - Bookshelf Speakers

Rfder's.

Looking for some advice on bookshelf speakers to replace my old Energy speakers. All equipment sits on a 78" wide stand. Usage is 80% TV, 20% Movies.

Current setup is:

Panasonic G15 Plasma (probably be replaced soon)
Denon AVR-1913
Energy bookshelf speakers
Velodyne CHT-10 (I think the plate amp auto on is going)
Harmony Smart home and hub
Raspberry Pi 3
Cable box

Look for new bookshelf speakers budget is $600-$800. I could go 3.0. I am headed to the U.S. for Black Friday so I could order something to the border.
Subwoofer will come later.

Looking at:

SVS Prime
NHT SuperOnes (no center available at a reasonable price in Canada)

Used might be an option.

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

MbMike
16 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12172 posts
992 upvotes
Toronto
I recommend checking canuckaudiomart.com for quality, used items too.
May 2, 2011
734 posts
95 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Are you going without a center speaker? I would suggest looking at the KEF Q series if you can still find last year's model. I believe they have replaced them with a new (and higher priced) model. You could also try looking at Canuckaudiomart forums for someone selling something locally that fits your budget.
Aug 14, 2011
159 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary
I have my eye on some Wavecrest Hvl-1's because they are front ported $229 pair and you can add a third for $110

I also was going to get some Philharmonic affordable accurracy monitors but they are rear ported and won't work for me, but I think they might be better than the wavecrest's in the bass department.

Great bang for the buck on both those bookshelves and I wouldn't look anywhere else
[OP]
Aug 21, 2008
59 posts
17 upvotes
Winnipeg,Manitoba
These look interesting, not to sure how I feel about the look of the 3 bookshelves as a front 3.

MbMike
SAVINGSTAR wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:57 pm
I have my eye on some Wavecrest Hvl-1's because they are front ported $229 pair and you can add a third for $110

I also was going to get some Philharmonic affordable accurracy monitors but they are rear ported and won't work for me, but I think they might be better than the wavecrest's in the bass department.

Great bang for the buck on both those bookshelves and I wouldn't look anywhere else
Aug 14, 2011
159 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary
MbMike wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:00 pm
These look interesting, not to sure how I feel about the look of the 3 bookshelves as a front 3.

MbMike
If you are using a subwoofer you don't really need tower speakers. That is the biggest secret the audio industry doesn't want you to know. With a sub you cross over your main speakers at 80hz. Bookshelves easily do down to 60hz even the bad one's.

You spend all that money on tower's but you don't end up using the frequencies below 80hz that you paid the extra money for.

Now having said all that, I personally still love the look of tower speakers, just as a pride of ownership thing.

So I can relate to what you are saying about having bookshelves as your LCR, I am considering getting 7 of the Hvl-1's for my new home theater that I am building so I will have a perfectly matched system, but for some reason I can't pull the trigger on it because I want some tower's.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2008
59 posts
17 upvotes
Winnipeg,Manitoba
I agree, my comment was related the vertical center channel, although sonically its the best option.

MbMike
Nov 5, 2017
79 posts
19 upvotes
Bookshelf? I would go with Klipsch or Paradigm for Quality
Something likeeee... Paradigm Prestige 15but then you would need a stronger receiver something like SR6011

Otherwise - go with Paradigm mini monitors which should work well with your receiver.

Depending on exactly what your looking for.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10597 posts
1682 upvotes
Ottawa
MbMike wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:46 pm
I do like this idea and I can get them on Amazon.ca. also a match center channel is available.
They are fantastic speakers, easily one of the best choices below $1K nowadays for a high quality bookshelf. Above that, you would head straight to the KEF LS50 (and put one on its side for a centre speaker).

If you don't want to even spend that much, go for the Elac Debut which is well reviewed. But if you can afford the UB5, it's worth the upgrade.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
[OP]
Aug 21, 2008
59 posts
17 upvotes
Winnipeg,Manitoba
warpdrive wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:10 pm
They are fantastic speakers, easily one of the best choices below $1K nowadays for a high quality bookshelf. Above that, you would head straight to the KEF LS50 (and put one on its side for a centre speaker).

If you don't want to even spend that much, go for the Elac Debut which is well reviewed. But if you can afford the UB5, it's worth the upgrade.
Hopefully they are cheaper when I'm in the US or they come down in Canada.
Sep 16, 2006
666 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
You realize the audio output on the ras pi is worse than decaying seagulls in a pool of vomit, right? (even via HDMI)...NOT a good media server.
Get yourself a proper streaming box

Also I like how you didn't list how many watts your AVR pumps into 4/8Ohms respectively so I have to google it myself, which I'm not going to do, so I won't be helping you choose speakers.

Is everyone on this forum ********? I'm starting to wonder.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1751 posts
744 upvotes
Saint John
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:37 pm
You realize the audio output on the ras pi is worse than decaying seagulls in a pool of vomit, right? (even via HDMI)...NOT a good media server.

Also I like how you didn't list how many watts your AVR pumps into 4/8Ohms respectively so I have to google it myself, which I'm not going to do, so I won't be helping you choose speakers.

Bitstreamed audio output from RPi over HDMI is the same as anything else. Sure it doesn't support the latest 11-speaker DolbyTrueAtmosUltraXHD+ (or whatever) codecs, but whose "film collection" is encoded with those anyway.

I certainly agree that the 3.5" jack outputs terrible sound, but you can buy a decent sounding USB or custom DAC designed to work with the Pi for pretty cheap if you want to use it as a music streamer.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2008
59 posts
17 upvotes
Winnipeg,Manitoba
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:37 pm

Sorry if I didn't include all the information, I believe that most of the manufacturers inflate these numbers anyway. The Elac Uni-fi bookshelves are not the most efficient but for the most part we are just watching regular TV and the occasional movie at average volumes.

These are in our open living room and we have a projector setup downstairs.

Denon, AVR-1913
Watts per Channel
(8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08 %)
(6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)

95W / 125W

MbMike