• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 6:52 pm
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1505 posts
193 upvotes
I'm a newbie in home automation. What is the best kit to get atm that is not ridiculously priced? Is there some sort of beginner's guide? Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3769 posts
230 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 12:54 pm
I'm a newbie in home automation. What is the best kit to get atm that is not ridiculously priced? Is there some sort of beginner's guide? Thanks.
SmartThings when it goes on sale for $49 USD. Then gradually build up your components. Great starting resources on their website...
Jul 5, 2004
22207 posts
2099 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 12:54 pm
Depends what you want to start with
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
May 10, 2013
538 posts
151 upvotes
I'm also new to this HA thingy and really want to explore more things.

list of what i have bought so far:

Ecobee 3 w/ 1 sensor
Philips Hue A19 Starter Kit(got 4) - Planning to put it on my dining room
TP LINK Bulb LB100
TP Link Smart Light Switch
Nest Indoor Camera

I'm planning to purchase next is Google Home or Alexa, HD Arlo outdoor camera and maybe Nest Protect? :)

I'm open to suggestion xD
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2136 posts
231 upvotes
I just discovered my house doesn't have neutral wire. Can I still get any smart switch or dimmers?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1611 posts
445 upvotes
Mississauga
What is the best way to automate two tp-link switches?

If switch 1 is turned on then turn on switch 2, if If switch 1 is turned off then turn off switch 2, and vice versa.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5269 posts
383 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 10:58 pm
I just discovered my house doesn't have neutral wire. Can I still get any smart switch or dimmers?
I think you are out of luck. Almost every switch or dimmer on the market requires a neutral wire. I heard about one old model that doesn't require one but not sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2136 posts
231 upvotes
golden wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:37 am
I think you are out of luck. Almost every switch or dimmer on the market requires a neutral wire. I heard about one old model that doesn't require one but not sure.
Most house don't have the natural wire. Someone told me I can just ground the natural but. I don't confortable being agsisnnt buidlingncode.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1879 upvotes
Brampton
EEE2 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:43 am
Most house don't have the natural wire. Someone told me I can just ground the natural but. I don't confortable being agsisnnt buidlingncode.
Actually most homes do have Neutrals. And yes do not hook in to the ground. It is illegal and could be bad for anyone working on your house later.

If you're looking for a switch that doesn't require Neutrals you'd be looking:

The Chamberlain MyQ
The Lutron Caseta switches/dimmers (So do some don't, their site lists the models).
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2136 posts
231 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:00 am
Actually most homes do have Neutrals. And yes do not hook in to the ground. It is illegal and could be bad for anyone working on your house later.

If you're looking for a switch that doesn't require Neutrals you'd be looking:

The Chamberlain MyQ
The Lutron Caseta switches/dimmers (So do some don't, their site lists the models).
The lutron doesnt seem to work with led bulbs.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2136 posts
231 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:42 am
Who said that?

They work great with LED bulbs. Probably the best smart dimmers on the market.
I got one of these, they work without neutral but they do not work with led. Already installed, the leds wont go off or dim. Even says in the manual only incandescent bulbs.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1879 upvotes
Brampton
EEE2 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:55 pm
I got one of these, they work without neutral but they do not work with led. Already installed, the leds wont go off or dim. Even says in the manual only incandescent bulbs.
Are you sure the bulb is a dimmable?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4731 posts
2309 upvotes
Edmonton
EEE2 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:55 pm
I've installed several of these in our place, and all we have is LED's. They work fine.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.case ... 20941.html

I suspect I might be your LED's that aren't dimmable, not the switch.

If you look here: http://reader.mediawiremobile.com/Lutro ... r?page=147
You can see that they don't require a neutral, and they work with dimmable LED's And that's been my experience as well.

C
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1879 upvotes
Brampton
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:06 pm
I've installed several of these in our place, and all we have is LED's. They work fine.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.case ... 20941.html

I suspect I might be your LED's that aren't dimmable, not the switch.

If you look here: http://reader.mediawiremobile.com/Lutro ... r?page=147
You can see that they don't require a neutral, and they work with dimmable LED's And that's been my experience as well.

C
That's the same I've used and had the same experience. Im curious why it doesn't work for him.
He says it doesn't turn off either.
I wonder if it's also a wiring issue.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)