• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 1:35 am
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2509 posts
323 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:21 pm
Thanks alot this is very usefull information. I am surprised I didnt get this with my switch when it was new. I only have installation instructions, nothing about adjustments.
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:21 am
What bulbs are you using?

C
I tried ge, Philips and some other brand of LEDs
Jun 11, 2010
681 posts
347 upvotes
ottawa
Hey RFD, does anyone here use homeassistant and smartthings hub?

If so, is there a way to pass devices from homeassistant to smartthings? Example would be my tp link switch which cannot be added to smartthings but which can be added to homeassistant.

Secondly, if you have a device like ecobee that can be added to both, is the best way to add it to smartthings then pass the info to homeassistant, or just add it to both?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7095 posts
4061 upvotes
Edmonton
Just added a Google Home and 2 x GHM's to our system last night, after picking them up on the BF sale. GF was literally dancing as she was turning lights on and off with voice commands. Dead easy to add the Wink hub to the GH system.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2509 posts
323 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 12:01 pm
Just added a Google Home and 2 x GHM's to our system last night, after picking them up on the BF sale. GF was literally dancing as she was turning lights on and off with voice commands. Dead easy to add the Wink hub to the GH system.

C
Happy girlfriend = Happy man lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8918 posts
8426 upvotes
barqers wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 11:39 am
Hey RFD, does anyone here use homeassistant and smartthings hub?

If so, is there a way to pass devices from homeassistant to smartthings? Example would be my tp link switch which cannot be added to smartthings but which can be added to homeassistant.

Secondly, if you have a device like ecobee that can be added to both, is the best way to add it to smartthings then pass the info to homeassistant, or just add it to both?
I use Google Assistant on my phone to talk to my Ecobee3 Lite. I don't have smartthings hub.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $41 6GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1033 posts
28 upvotes
I'm new to this whole home automation thing.

I have a Samsung Smarthings hub, ecoobee lite thermo, (Samsung) 2 water sensors, (Xiaomi) a few door sensors, two body sensors and a humidity/temp sensor. I have them all working however I really want to get into automating switches/lights .

I'd like to start with a switch that lights up the lights outside n both sides of the garage and my entrance door.

What I'd really like to do is have these 3 lights turn on as I drive up the drive way (200 feet).

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks in advance
Jun 11, 2010
681 posts
347 upvotes
ottawa
fogo wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 9:16 pm

I have a Samsung Smarthings hub, ecoobee lite thermo, (Samsung) 2 water sensors, (Xiaomi) a few door sensors, two body sensors and a humidity/temp sensor. I have them all working however I really want to get into automating switches/lights .

I'd like to start with a switch that lights up the lights outside n both sides of the garage and my entrance door.

What I'd really like to do is have these 3 lights turn on as I drive up the drive way (200 feet).

Thanks in advance
I would go with Home Assistant on a raspberry pi using owntracks for tracking your gps. You can connect your smartthings hub to it!
Sep 30, 2008
847 posts
525 upvotes
Pickering
Are there any switches that can control ceiling fan /lights. I have a ceiling fan wired to a single dimmer switch and it controls the lights only. The fan is controlled via the chain on the fan itself. From what I've seen there isn't any switch out there that can work for this type of application. Even if just the lights, can I use a regular dimmer switch and continue to control the fan via the chain?
Jan 15, 2010
454 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
fogo wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks in advance
You will first need to get a switch that works with smartthings. I personally use the wemo switches and they work well, but you can look around for others that would work. Once you do that you just need to use presence detection to automate the lights.

Presence detection with the SmartThings app is very iffy but you can try use the SmartThings app on your phone for presence detection. Just add your phone via the marketplace/sensors/presence sensors. It will use the phones GPS to determine if your in range. Then you can setup an automation to turn on the lights as you drive into the range.

If you have issues with its reliability, look into using life360 app and then integrating that into smartthings. It seems to be a lot more reliable.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1033 posts
28 upvotes
GavinCampbell wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:27 am
You will first need to get a switch that works with smartthings. I personally use the wemo switches and they work well, but you can look around for others that would work. Once you do that you just need to use presence detection to automate the lights.

Presence detection with the SmartThings app is very iffy but you can try use the SmartThings app on your phone for presence detection. Just add your phone via the marketplace/sensors/presence sensors. It will use the phones GPS to determine if your in range. Then you can setup an automation to turn on the lights as you drive into the range.

If you have issues with its reliability, look into using life360 app and then integrating that into smartthings. It seems to be a lot more reliable.
This sounds like a better and easier solution. Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8918 posts
8426 upvotes
I have a Chamberlain opener with MyQ Wifi built-in and a Chamerlain remote light switch installed to control front and garage door lights. I can link the outside light on/off with the garage door open/close. This means the outside lights will be on/off during day time. Instead, I programmed one button on my 3 buttons remote to turn on the outside lights independent of the garage door open or close.

I am waiting for the my free Chamerlain Home Bridge to tie my Chamberlain stuff to Apple HomeKit. I have not commit to any system yet. I like the OpenHAB system which is local base system without the delay of the web based system like HomeKit, Goolge Assistant etc.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $41 6GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone