• Jul 22nd, 2018 1:35 am
Jan 15, 2010
455 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 2:15 pm
Except that it is still finnicky.
The most consistent setup that I have read about is wifi presence detection.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/rel ... ence/37802
This is finicky as well. I've done this.

The problem is you have to have a strong enough wifi to reach far outside your house, at least into the driveway. Then your phone has to be fast enough to see the wifi and connect while the script pings your phone and updates the sensors. It works as well but just not 100%. Sometimes phones don't even connect until they are actually inside the house. I've tried this with multiple phones. Life360 has actually been more reliable as you can set the radius and it will have time to do whatever you want it to do before you reach your front door. However its also still not perfect. Better but not perfect. Smartthings also sells a presence detection thing but it runs off zigbee and needs to be in the range on the hub for you to be detected. Again this range will have to be far enough if you want things to happen before you reach your front door. The smartthings app has presence detection built in, but also not reliable. Sometimes they get stuck at a location or don't update until you actually unlock your phone.

Currently I'm doing a combination of both gps and network to make success much better. Seems to be working well so far but not easy to implement.
Sep 26, 2006
654 posts
130 upvotes
GavinCampbell wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 2:41 pm

The problem is you have to have a strong enough wifi to reach far outside your house, at least into the driveway. Then your phone has to be fast enough to see the wifi and connect while the script pings your phone and updates the sensors. It works as well but just not 100%. Sometimes phones don't even connect until they are actually inside the house. I've tried this with multiple phones. Life360 has actually been more reliable as you can set the radius and it will have time to do whatever you want it to do before you reach your front door. However its also still not perfect. Better but not perfect. Smartthings also sells a presence detection thing but it runs off zigbee and needs to be in the range on the hub for you to be detected. Again this range will have to be far enough if you want things to happen before you reach your front door. The smartthings app has presence detection built in, but also not reliable. Sometimes they get stuck at a location or don't update until you actually unlock your phone.

Currently I'm doing a combination of both gps and network to make success much better. Seems to be working well so far but not easy to implement.
To extend the zigbee device, put another zigbee device in between. Better yet, just buy a motion light since the only thing you want it to do is turn on when you are in your driveway.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23134 posts
9596 upvotes
Ottawa
GavinCampbell wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 2:41 pm

I have no luck with life360 on Andorild or iOS and will be trying wifi presence; as I'm able connect right at the end of my driveway.
As a personal preference, I prefer this smaller radius as I have to be right in front of my house and can then see the garage door open and lights turn on etc...
Jan 15, 2010
455 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
BaboSo wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 2:48 pm
To extend the zigbee device, put another zigbee device in between. Better yet, just buy a motion light since the only thing you want it to do is turn on when you are in your driveway.
Its funny how we can over complicate things with home automation. A motion light is the easiest thing for their needs. lol

The extra zigbee device is an option too. But from what I was reading it must be a hard wired device. Battery powered devices don't repeat the signal.
Jan 15, 2010
455 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 2:49 pm
I have no luck with life360 on Andorild or iOS and will be trying wifi presence; as I'm able connect right at the end of my driveway.
As a personal preference, I prefer this smaller radius as I have to be right in front of my house and can then see the garage door open and lights turn on etc...
I find everyone has different experiences. At least the life360 is a much simpler setup at first. If it doesn't work delete the device and move on. I use to have my garage setup that way, but I eventually had to widen the gps radius and if I was driving by my place it would open as well so I got stopped that. I also don't like the GPS because if I'm at my neighbours it doesn't detect away. But at the same time, my wifi is spotty at my neighbours so it kicks in and out as well.

You just got to try them all and see what works for you. I'm having the best luck combining multiple services and some extra logic.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23134 posts
9596 upvotes
Ottawa
GavinCampbell wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 3:00 pm
I find everyone has different experiences. At least the life360 is a much simpler setup at first. If it doesn't work delete the device and move on. I use to have my garage setup that way, but I eventually had to widen the gps radius and if I was driving by my place it would open as well so I got stopped that. I also don't like the GPS because if I'm at my neighbours it doesn't detect away. But at the same time, my wifi is spotty at my neighbours so it kicks in and out as well.

You just got to try them all and see what works for you. I'm having the best luck combining multiple services and some extra logic.
GPS should be more consistent and is very mind boggling!
Jan 20, 2017
85 posts
38 upvotes
Hi All. I've searched this thread (although admittedly just skimming through) and I can't really find the answer I'm looking for.

I have a Wink 2 hub, SmartThings hub, Google Home and various other smart home devices through the house. What I'm looking for are cost effective, ceiling mounted wireless PIR sensors and cost effective window and door sensors. I'd PREFER to have them ST or WINK compatible and EASY to set up without having to jump through hoops. I've looked at some sites out there but either my search lingo is lacking, their search engine is lacking or it just doesn't exist on those sites. Any help pointing me in the right direction?
AKA Bum_Gravey. Not sure why I can't log in to that account anymore...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2572 posts
332 upvotes
Gents on my iPad,iPhone and Android devices. The Samsung SmartThings app sometimes takes a long time to open. It opens but the actual items to show takes a while like 20-30 seconds. Is this normal behaviour?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40686 posts
2097 upvotes
Richmond Hill
LooseMovements wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:37 am
Hi All. I've searched this thread (although admittedly just skimming through) and I can't really find the answer I'm looking for.

I have a Wink 2 hub, SmartThings hub, Google Home and various other smart home devices through the house. What I'm looking for are cost effective, ceiling mounted wireless PIR sensors and cost effective window and door sensors. I'd PREFER to have them ST or WINK compatible and EASY to set up without having to jump through hoops. I've looked at some sites out there but either my search lingo is lacking, their search engine is lacking or it just doesn't exist on those sites. Any help pointing me in the right direction?
Get the Xiaomi sensors, that's what we all use. About $10 for the door sensors and $13 for the motion.
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Jan 20, 2017
85 posts
38 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 12:49 pm
Get the Xiaomi sensors, that's what we all use. About $10 for the door sensors and $13 for the motion.
Perfect. But where from? I can't seem to find any $10 Xiaomi sensors anywhere. My search skills are somewhat apprentice like.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8979 posts
8492 upvotes
People are not turning off the light in the mud room connected to my garage. It was 2x 4' fluorescent tube fixture. I converted it to accept 4' LED tubes. That light is controlled by two 2-way switches at the 2 entrances to the mud room. I cannot find any IoT 2-way switch. The ideal solution is to wire a motion sensor in series with the light fixture without getting a loT 2-way switch. Any suggestion...
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $41 6GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40686 posts
2097 upvotes
Richmond Hill
LooseMovements wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 1:03 pm
Perfect. But where from? I can't seem to find any $10 Xiaomi sensors anywhere. My search skills are somewhat apprentice like.
Gear Best. We can't link it as RFD blocks links to that site.
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Jan 20, 2017
85 posts
38 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 1:15 pm
Gear Best. We can't link it as RFD blocks links to that site.
Thanks for the help.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1988 posts
619 upvotes
Mississauga
embguy wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 1:08 pm
People are not turning off the light in the mud room connected to my garage. It was 2x 4' fluorescent tube fixture. I converted it to accept 4' LED tubes. That light is controlled by two 2-way switches at the 2 entrances to the mud room. I cannot find any IoT 2-way switch. The ideal solution is to wire a motion sensor in series with the light fixture without getting a loT 2-way switch. Any suggestion...
Leviton has wifi 3-way switches but will cost you about $100 for a set. Use DW15S as the master and DD0SR-1Z or DD0SR-DLZ as the second switch