• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 1:35 am
Jan 20, 2017
85 posts
38 upvotes
Does anyone have any experience with the Sylvania Smart+ Dimmer Switch? It occurs to me that this may be a decent solution for anyone who doesn't have a neutral wire for setting up most the other z-wave and zigbee light switches.
AKA Bum_Gravey. Not sure why I can't log in to that account anymore...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2588 posts
336 upvotes
LooseMovements wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 2:50 pm
Does anyone have any experience with the Sylvania Smart+ Dimmer Switch? It occurs to me that this may be a decent solution for anyone who doesn't have a neutral wire for setting up most the other z-wave and zigbee light switches.
This seems like a nice solution, but guessing only works with non dimmable regular light switches.
Jan 20, 2017
85 posts
38 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 3:26 pm
This seems like a nice solution, but guessing only works with non dimmable regular light switches.
No idea. I'm having issues finding ANY documentation on these, even from Sylvania.

Best I can find is this PDF. I'm still unclear how this would dim a light but for simple on off it could work.
AKA Bum_Gravey. Not sure why I can't log in to that account anymore...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2588 posts
336 upvotes
LooseMovements wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 3:30 pm
No idea. I'm having issues finding ANY documentation on these, even from Sylvania.

Best I can find is this PDF. I'm still unclear how this would dim a light but for simple on off it could work.
Why not try the ones I found that work really nice without neutral wire.
Lutron Caseta Wireless In-Wall Dimmer, White
no neutral needed, downside you need to buy a kit that comes with the bridge, but after that you can add as many as you want.
Second downside you need to buy qualified led bulbs.
May 22, 2007
866 posts
108 upvotes
I'm trying to look for a 3-way smart wifi light switch (dimmer not required) to control some lights in my house. The only switch i found that i can easily get from HD was the Decora Smart Switch with Wi-Fi Technology, but i have to get the decora companion light switch for the other the end of the 3-way, which HD doesn't carry. What are my other options for a 3-way smart light switch? I currently don't have a hub, and would like to stay away from getting one. TIA!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7337 posts
4239 upvotes
Edmonton
You could do the Lutron Caseta switches, but they are dimmers as well. Or you could look to order the companion switch online.

C
May 22, 2007
866 posts
108 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 10:39 am
You could do the Lutron Caseta switches, but they are dimmers as well. Or you could look to order the companion switch online.

C
Thanks. I did look into that option of ordering the companion switch online directly from Decora, but it's going to end up costing me almost, if not over $100 for both switches. I'll take a look at the lutron caseta switches, but the only problem is that my light fixture is not dimmable.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7337 posts
4239 upvotes
Edmonton
Deevusone wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 10:45 am
Thanks. I did look into that option of ordering the companion switch online directly from Decora, but it's going to end up costing me almost, if not over $100 for both switches. I'll take a look at the lutron caseta switches, but the only problem is that my light fixture is not dimmable.
The switches have "Off/On" and then "Up/Down" buttons. If you just use the Off/On buttons, you should be ok.

C
May 22, 2007
866 posts
108 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 10:51 am
The switches have "Off/On" and then "Up/Down" buttons. If you just use the Off/On buttons, you should be ok.

C
I just looked up the caseta switch and it looks like i need to buy a hub/wireless kit to work.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7337 posts
4239 upvotes
Edmonton
Nope. You can get a hub, if you want. But you definitely don't need one. When we first set ours up, it was to provide 2 remote switches on either side of the bed to control the main bedroom light. Worked fine, didn't have a hub. Since then, I put in a Wink hub, which can talk directly to the Caseta switches. Now I can turn on the bedroom light from anywhere in the house.

C
May 22, 2007
866 posts
108 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 11:25 am
..... Worked fine, didn't have a hub. Since then, I put in a Wink hub, which can talk directly to the Caseta switches. Now I can turn on the bedroom light from anywhere in the house.

C
That's my end goal, is to have the light controlled anywhere via phone. so i guess a hub is needed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7337 posts
4239 upvotes
Edmonton
Deevusone wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 11:29 am
That's my end goal, is to have the light controlled anywhere via phone. so i guess a hub is needed.
Keep in mind that you can only control the Caseta switches directly with a Wink or Wink 2 hub. I believe if you want to connect them to a SmartThings hub (or any other hub), you need to get the Caseta hub too.

C
May 22, 2007
866 posts
108 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 11:46 am
Keep in mind that you can only control the Caseta switches directly with a Wink or Wink 2 hub. I believe if you want to connect them to a SmartThings hub (or any other hub), you need to get the Caseta hub too.

C
That's what i was afraid of, having to purchase hubs for the light switch to work. And with the added costs, it seems paying the $100 for both the smart switch and companion switch seems the best (at the moment) solution for me. Unless someone else here knows of a better and cheaper solution.
Sep 30, 2008
861 posts
534 upvotes
Pickering
Deevusone wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 11:49 am
That's what i was afraid of, having to purchase hubs for the light switch to work. And with the added costs, it seems paying the $100 for both the smart switch and companion switch seems the best (at the moment) solution for me. Unless someone else here knows of a better and cheaper solution.
TP-Link should be releasing their HS210 3 way switch soon (if not out already). Like their other switches, it's wifi so no hub required.
May 22, 2007
866 posts
108 upvotes
Phat$ wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 2:29 pm
TP-Link should be releasing their HS210 3 way switch soon (if not out already). Like their other switches, it's wifi so no hub required.
Cool, i guess I'll just wait for them to release it.