• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 1:35 am
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5513 posts
1318 upvotes
Montreal
What's the consensus on the August smart lock? Anyone here have one?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5495 posts
9286 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
psyko514 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 12:05 am
I have one. It was really easy to install. The app setup was frustrating somewhat but that was resolved after redoing it a 2nd time.
I really want to recommend it - it works as described MOST times - but It's those times when you walk up to your door and it hasn't automatically unlocked and you have to get your phone out and 'manually' open the lock with the phone app that can be really annoying.
I have never had it not respond so that I was locked out. (I have an iphone so don't know about Android phones)
And it always auto- re-locks itself after I leave in the time I specified (for example, 2 min after I leave).

I have it setup in Apple Homekit as well but I don't really use Apple Home much.
Another consideration is how the significant other and/or family members will use/tolerate it. Of course, they can still use their key if they want.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1386 posts
212 upvotes
Deevusone wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 10:06 am
I'm trying to look for a 3-way smart wifi light switch (dimmer not required) to control some lights in my house. The only switch i found that i can easily get from HD was the Decora Smart Switch with Wi-Fi Technology, but i have to get the decora companion light switch for the other the end of the 3-way, which HD doesn't carry. What are my other options for a 3-way smart light switch? I currently don't have a hub, and would like to stay away from getting one. TIA!
Lutron has this other smart switch (non dimmer) that can be used with your existing 3 way (so just replace on one side). Yes, you will need hub, but you save cost for the 2nd switch. Also, I am sure, once you add 1 switch and get used to the smart features, you will want to add more later on :). Hub is one time investment, if you think it that way
Your text to link here...

Or if you can find this product, you do not need additional switch or hub -
Zooz
Sep 1, 2015
140 posts
48 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
psyko514 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 12:05 am
I bought a 3rd gen one recently, unlocking from Bluetooth is instant, doing it from zwaves seems to have a 0.5s delay.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
936 posts
28 upvotes
Has anyone put a z-wave based main water valve/shutoff? For floods and such?
Jun 11, 2010
963 posts
496 upvotes
ottawa
finnoob wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 3:36 pm
I bought a 3rd gen one recently, unlocking from Bluetooth is instant, doing it from zwaves seems to have a 0.5s delay.
Is this only the 3rd gen one that has the zwave and bluetooth? I bought a kwikset 912 off amazon and so far so good but the August does have a sweet look :P
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
1971 posts
324 upvotes
finnoob wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 3:36 pm
How's Bluetooth working so far? I have read some comments saying some occasions Bluetooth didn't work and they had to take out their phones. This kinda defeats purpose of convenience factor for me. When I am loaded with groceries, I would not like to put down my bags and take out my key (or my phone) to enter. I would just walk up to the door and wait for it unlock.
Sep 1, 2015
140 posts
48 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
barqers wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 7:08 pm
Is this only the 3rd gen one that has the zwave and bluetooth? I bought a kwikset 912 off amazon and so far so good but the August does have a sweet look :P
I think only 3rd gen pro has z-wave, all other models relies on Bluetooth.
barqers wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 7:08 pm
I think only 3rd gen pro has z-wave, all other models relies on bluetooth.
rapashoo wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 8:12 am
How's Bluetooth working so far? I have read some comments saying some occasions Bluetooth didn't work and they had to take out their phones. This kinda defeats purpose of convenience factor for me. When I am loaded with groceries, I would not like to put down my bags and take out my key (or my phone) to enter. I would just walk up to the door and wait for it unlock.
It has a very long range, I was able to unlock doors 50 meters away.
my auto unlock was trigger by my WiFi AP detects my phone joins home Wifi, I don't like enable geofence on August or Smarthings app, those were inaccurate and battery hog in my option.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5495 posts
9286 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
finnoob wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 9:20 am
my auto unlock was trigger by my WiFi AP detects my phone joins home Wifi, I don't like enable geofence on August or Smarthings app, those were inaccurate and battery hog in my option.
How do you setup this trigger by wifi AP? Is this Android based? (I have an iphone.)
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
936 posts
28 upvotes
hello99 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 2:47 pm
Has anyone put a z-wave based main water valve/shutoff? For floods and such?
Anyone?
Sep 1, 2015
140 posts
48 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
hello99 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 11:23 pm
Anyone?
I installed an Econet zwave value yesterday on my main valve, It's working great and just wait for my leak sensors arrrive
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
936 posts
28 upvotes
finnoob wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 10:59 am
I installed an Econet zwave value yesterday on my main valve, It's working great and just wait for my leak sensors arrrive
Which leak sensors are you going to buy? Where are you putting them all?

How strong is the Econet? My main water valve is kind of stiff.
Sep 1, 2015
140 posts
48 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
hello99 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 12:06 pm
Which leak sensors are you going to buy? Where are you putting them all?

How strong is the Econet? My main water valve is kind of stiff.
Most of them are xiaomi ones in washrooms/under kitchen sink/dish washer/washing machines, and one Zwave plus model just to extend zwave network coverage.
I got this valve from Amazon(http://a.co/aMMOBci ) it's stronger than I expected. It pushes valve level slowly but steadily in a shut off operation, and keeps pushing it for a while to ensure it's completely shut off.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
936 posts
28 upvotes
finnoob wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 12:39 pm
Most of them are xiaomi ones in washrooms/under kitchen sink/dish washer/washing machines, and one Zwave plus model just to extend zwave network coverage.
I got this valve from Amazon(http://a.co/aMMOBci ) it's stronger than I expected. It pushes valve level slowly but steadily in a shut off operation, and keeps pushing it for a while to ensure it's completely shut off.
Which Xiaomi ones did you buy and from where, if you don't mind me asking...Did you ever consider buying those other type ones like this:

http://www.fortrezz.com/water-valves/