• May 27th, 2017 10:51 pm
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6933 posts
1219 upvotes
Brampton
hello99 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 2:32 pm
I'm not a Java programmer but I am a programmer...so I was thinking of giving OpenHAB a shot...have you made your own modifications to the code? So, I don't have experience with NEST but I assume that you can use the NEST app to monitor or you use the OpenHAB to monitor it? Both work?

How is the DSC Alarm? What do you have connected to it? Can you see each of your sensors via OpenHAB?
I'm a work PC so I can't log in to show you the OH interface I Have.

Yes you can monitor Nest via just openHAB. You use a process/system of OAUTH tokens to link up to the Nest cloud. Like I said As much as I could LAN of things this and the MYQ system can't be moved to LAN online. Yes Both work. That's the beauty of OH you don't give up existing functionality ever you just enhance it.

Have I modified the code of OH. In a matter of speaking yes. The OH Project and OH community is huge. Each integration point is someone's personal project.
Sometimes to get the functionality I want or to support something someone abandoned I had to clone their project, edit it and compile it. But a lot of the time you're wiresharking something to see how communication happens, then you use NodeJS to issue some JSON.

Envisalink works awesome with my DSC and with OpenHAB. It has been my most troublefree piece of kit. Works reliably 100% of the time and yes I can monitor every sensor with minimal delay <1 second. It's a testament to DSC and Envisalink
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
792 posts
23 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 2:41 pm
I'm a work PC so I can't log in to show you the OH interface I Have.

Yes you can monitor Nest via just openHAB. You use a process/system of OAUTH tokens to link up to the Nest cloud. Like I said As much as I could LAN of things this and the MYQ system can't be moved to LAN online. Yes Both work. That's the beauty of OH you don't give up existing functionality ever you just enhance it.

Have I modified the code of OH. In a matter of speaking yes. The OH Project and OH community is huge. Each integration point is someone's personal project.
Sometimes to get the functionality I want or to support something someone abandoned I had to clone their project, edit it and compile it. But a lot of the time you're wiresharking something to see how communication happens, then you use NodeJS to issue some JSON.

Envisalink works awesome with my DSC and with OpenHAB. It has been my most troublefree piece of kit. Works reliably 100% of the time and yes I can monitor every sensor with minimal delay <1 second. It's a testament to DSC and Envisalink
Still googling many of the things you said...not being a java programmer and hearing NodeJS is making me rethink this Java thing :)

Are there alarms that work with OpenHAB that don't need Envisalink? Envisalink looks like a module you plug into DSC because DSC does not have the LAN capabilities?

It would be cool to see screenshots of your system especially for the alarm?

Hmm....the smartthings sounds interesting and do does OpenHAB?

I guess the OpenHAB app is accessing your Raspberry Pi 3 at home?

What I want is the capability to:

- turn on and off lights
- dim on and off lights
- wired smoke/CO alarms (maybe wireless)
- control some plugs
- have a security camera system in with dvr/ndvr
- also thinking if I want a seperate door bell camera?
- have a security system with window/door sensors, motion sensors, glass break sensors?
- have temperature and water leak detectors

- how much are automatic blind/curtain control systems?
- can my garage door opener be modified?
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6933 posts
1219 upvotes
Brampton
hello99 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 3:49 pm
Still googling many of the things you said...not being a java programmer and hearing NodeJS is making me rethink this Java thing :)

Are there alarms that work with OpenHAB that don't need Envisalink? Envisalink looks like a module you plug into DSC because DSC does not have the LAN capabilities?

It would be cool to see screenshots of your system especially for the alarm?

Hmm....the smartthings sounds interesting and do does OpenHAB?

I guess the OpenHAB app is accessing your Raspberry Pi 3 at home?

What I want is the capability to:

- turn on and off lights
- dim on and off lights
- wired smoke/CO alarms (maybe wireless)
- control some plugs
- have a security camera system in with dvr/ndvr
- have a security system with window/door sensors, motion sensors, glass break sensors?
- have temperature and water leak detectors

- how much are automatic blind/curtain control systems?
- can my garage door opener be modified?
I amateur blogged about my smarthome adventure here.

https://thelazycouple.com/tagged/thelazycouplesmarthome

It doesn't have all the details as sometimes I'll get so in to doing it I forget to document it.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
792 posts
23 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 3:53 pm
I amateur blogged about my smarthome adventure here.

https://thelazycouple.com/tagged/thelazycouplesmarthome

It doesn't have all the details as sometimes I'll get so in to doing it I forget to document it.
Thanks, I will take a look at it your blog, if you have snap shots of your dashboard that would be cool.

So, I have a dumb question, where is your data hosted? Does the Apps access your OpenHAB server at home?
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6933 posts
1219 upvotes
Brampton
hello99 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 1:04 pm
Thanks, I will take a look at it your blog, if you have snap shots of your dashboard that would be cool.

So, I have a dumb question, where is your data hosted? Does the Apps access your OpenHAB server at home?
The rpi3 runs OpenHAB so it's a lower power see server. I have a script that does a full backup to my main server so if the SD dies I just reimage a new one and I'm off. Or I can move the the OH to a VM on my main server.

I love OH because it doesn't rely on a cloud it's all a secured hook up to my OH install at home.

I'm running an older (read more supported and developed version of OH) so the dashboard looks more basic than what's possible than the newer version.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6933 posts
1219 upvotes
Brampton
Just some quick shots of my control panel via the OS app.

I don't need to use it very often because of Alexa integration and automation rules(whole point of automation is to interact less right?)
Images
Last edited by tebore on May 1st, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
792 posts
23 upvotes
tebore wrote:
May 1st, 2017 1:14 pm
The rpi3 runs OpenHAB so it's a lower power see server. I have a script that does a full backup to my main server so if the SD dies I just reimage a new one and I'm off. Or I can move the the OH to a VM on my main server.

I love OH because it doesn't rely on a cloud it's all a secured hook up to my OH install at home.

I'm running an older (read more supported and developed version of OH) so the dashboard looks more basic than what's possible than the newer version.
Oh wow, it does not rely on a cloud? That's really good. But I guess your NEST thermostats would probably be on the NEST cloud?

I'm also wondering if your wifi switch are non-dimmer? I was going to buy the caseta hub and switch but they all look like they are dimmer switches. my external pot lights and external lights are not really dimmable.
Sep 8, 2014
27 posts
18 upvotes
Oakville, ON
hello99 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 3:28 pm
I'm also wondering if your wifi switch are non-dimmer? I was going to buy the caseta hub and switch but they all look like they are dimmer switches. my external pot lights and external lights are not really dimmable.
Caseta also has regular switches, they're just annoyingly more expensive than the dimmers and harder to find. You can pick up the new neutral wire switches on Amazon, the older non-neutral wire switches are harder to find.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B017LRCG3 ... ct_details
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6933 posts
1219 upvotes
Brampton
hello99 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 3:28 pm
Oh wow, it does not rely on a cloud? That's really good. But I guess your NEST thermostats would probably be on the NEST cloud?

For Nest yes I need to rely on the Nest cloud same with MyQ. Otherwise the other things are all on the LAN. Eg Envisalink will still work without their cloud, the RGB light controllers and the other Wifi Only plugs.

Yes all the switches right now are non dimmer, so I have a bit of a disconnect on setting up the perfect scene at my place. I was hoping for a sale on the Wemos Dimmers or at this rate I might just get Zwave enabled ones. It's all a matter of cost right now for me. Personally even tho the Castea system is great, that's not the direction I would go in because I want to avoid another bridge (Eg use a Wemo wifi type switch) or use a technology that has a wider amount of support (Zwave)
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
792 posts
23 upvotes
tebore wrote:
May 1st, 2017 4:25 pm
For Nest yes I need to rely on the Nest cloud same with MyQ. Otherwise the other things are all on the LAN. Eg Envisalink will still work without their cloud, the RGB light controllers and the other Wifi Only plugs.

Yes all the switches right now are non dimmer, so I have a bit of a disconnect on setting up the perfect scene at my place. I was hoping for a sale on the Wemos Dimmers or at this rate I might just get Zwave enabled ones. It's all a matter of cost right now for me. Personally even tho the Castea system is great, that's not the direction I would go in because I want to avoid another bridge (Eg use a Wemo wifi type switch) or use a technology that has a wider amount of support (Zwave)
Oh, I see, what switches are good quality without the use of a bridge?
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6933 posts
1219 upvotes
Brampton
hello99 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 5:47 pm
Oh, I see, what switches are good quality without the use of a bridge?
I personally like the Wemos and haven't had any problems with them. The set up sometimes has a hiccup but once it's up and on the network Ive had 0 trouble integrating and controlling them and theyre relatively responsive.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
792 posts
23 upvotes
Has anyone heard of Home Assistant? It's python based.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
792 posts
23 upvotes
tebore wrote:
May 1st, 2017 5:57 pm
I personally like the Wemos and haven't had any problems with them. The set up sometimes has a hiccup but once it's up and on the network Ive had 0 trouble integrating and controlling them and theyre relatively responsive.
Thinking more, I need a combination of both on/off switches and dimmer switches...should I just go with the Lutron Caseta? Or Should I mix the Lutron (with the bridge) and the Wemo switches? Wemo only uses Wifi correct?
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6933 posts
1219 upvotes
Brampton
hello99 wrote:
May 4th, 2017 2:01 pm
Thinking more, I need a combination of both on/off switches and dimmer switches...should I just go with the Lutron Caseta? Or Should I mix the Lutron (with the bridge) and the Wemo switches? Wemo only uses Wifi correct?
For the sake of not having your switches look mismatched I'd go Lutron or Decora style Zwaves.

Or hold on to see what price the Wemo dimmers launch at
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
792 posts
23 upvotes
tebore wrote:
May 4th, 2017 4:23 pm
For the sake of not having your switches look mismatched I'd go Lutron or Decora style Zwaves.

Or hold on to see what price the Wemo dimmers launch at
Any place you recommend in the GTA to buy the Lutron switches and bridge? Is there a difference between using the Lutron Z-wave or Wemo's wifi? When are the Wemo's dimmers going to launch?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel