Home & Garden

Home Automation

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 1:35 am
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
Some Pi cases have a fan + heat sink and some just have a heat sink. Is the fan necessary?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
blexann wrote: Some Pi cases have a fan + heat sink and some just have a heat sink. Is the fan necessary?
For home automation, you don’t need the heat sink or fan. It doesn’t run hot. My Pi running Home Assistant doesn’t have anything and runs perfectly fine.

A fan is required if you’re running Kodi and if you’re running retroPi, then you should use the heat sinks.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4506 posts
2548 upvotes
Thornhill
Notice that smartthings shop now redirects to Samsung, and it no longer ships to Canada.
So no more $50 hub sale?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
nosnoop wrote: Notice that smartthings shop now redirects to Samsung, and it no longer ships to Canada.
So no more $50 hub sale?
If you want a commercial hub, you’re better off with the Hubitat
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
nosnoop wrote: Notice that smartthings shop now redirects to Samsung, and it no longer ships to Canada.
So no more $50 hub sale?
An alternative is the Samsung Connect mesh router. These routers incorporate SmartThings capability, including Zigbee/Z-Wave interfaces. You can get the individual units at Lowes.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
bubuski wrote: Has anyone tried the new native Mi integration in Google home to link the Xiaomi robot vac? I heard only v1 works and can’t seem control my v2 (roborock)

"Start the [vacuum name]"
"Start vacuuming"
"Is the [vacuum name] running?"
“Stop vacuum”
"Stop the [vacuum name]"
"Stop vacuuming"
“Pause vacuum”
"Pause the [vacuum name]"
“Dock”
"Dock the [vacuum name]"
"Send the [vacuum name] home"
“Charge the [vacuum name]"
“Is the [vacuum name] charging?”

Lightbulb and smart plugs now also link natively
BenK wrote: works great on my v1
v2 now links to Google home

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)