• Jul 24th, 2017 3:34 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7202 posts
1367 upvotes
Brampton
hello99 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 12:06 am
Any place you recommend in the GTA to buy the Lutron switches and bridge? Is there a difference between using the Lutron Z-wave or Wemo's wifi? When are the Wemo's dimmers going to launch?
Quick off the shelf purchase with a good return policy? Home Depot.
You won't get the best price like you would waiting for a sale on Amazon but Home depot is nearly hassle free.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4995 posts
693 upvotes
hello99 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 12:06 am
Any place you recommend in the GTA to buy the Lutron switches and bridge? Is there a difference between using the Lutron Z-wave or Wemo's wifi? When are the Wemo's dimmers going to launch?
If you're going to buy some switches and a hub, you might as well go all z-wave+ with smartthings or wink or similar. HD only carries the old Leviton z-wave switches, not the new z-wave+. Aartech has them
Aartech Canada Inc
1129 Wentworth St W, Unit 2B
Oshawa, ON
L1J 8P7

Wemo wifi dimmer switches have already launched at the laughably overpriced sum of $129.99/switch. That's right, TWICE the price of a comparable switch from manufacturers with significantly more experience making home automation products than Belkin. Even Belkin's routers are second or third tier. I don't know if it matters to you but it's a push button switch, not a rocker switch.
http://www.staples.ca/en/WeMo-Dimmer-Li ... CA_1_20001
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Nov 7, 2012
530 posts
164 upvotes
TORONTO
Just saw this from a BB email: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/rin ... 50525.aspx?

The price is fairly hefty for one camera/flood light but it kind of solves my non commitment to buy a full fledged camera system. I have sensor light right by my doorway and have a regular doorbell. I was thinking about getting the ring pro but I didn't have a good place to mount it by my door. This will kind of knock that off my needs. Maybe if the light came in a regular sconced light instead of flood lights i'd hop right on it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23603 posts
2195 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I'm about to venture into home automation. I want nothing in the cloud and it seems OpenHAB is the way to go.

I am looking for a garage door opener that's not cloud based. Is MyQ the only option? There has to be something that can be localized. What about video door bells? Anything besides Ring?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7202 posts
1367 upvotes
Brampton
Gee wrote:
May 12th, 2017 10:07 am
I'm about to venture into home automation. I want nothing in the cloud and it seems OpenHAB is the way to go.

I am looking for a garage door opener that's not cloud based. Is MyQ the only option? There has to be something that can be localized. What about video door bells? Anything besides Ring?
MyQ is cloud based and IMO fkin terrible but they have the market cornered.
If GDO control is all you're looking for. The best one that's LAN of things-able with OpenHAB support is https://garageio.com/
The alternative is build an ardunio controlled relay to click your opener switch on the wall and build some ESP8266 based hall sensor equipped pieces to detect door status. (I mentioned this as you seemed to be more of the DIYer).

Also My reply to you in Computers & Elect was moderated by the mods, it wasn't supposed to come off like a smarta**.
I had included links to my write ups on my site but they removed them.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4995 posts
693 upvotes
For non-cloud based, semi-smart, your only option is the Skylink. You set a time of 2-20 minutes, after which the unit will attempt to close the door. There's no cloud, no wifi, no app, just a hardware button. I've since replaced it with a MyQ. It's really only useful if you're forgetful, like me, and forget to close the garage door. My neighbours have left their garage doors open in -30C weather for the entire weekend. Fortunately for them, we're in a decent area with little property crime (for now).

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.skyl ... 65804.html
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
805 posts
23 upvotes
Does anyone know the difference between the Lutron Caseta and Lutron Caseta pro products?

I'm going to buy some switches and bridge and was wondering which one to get?
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
805 posts
23 upvotes
Gee wrote:
May 12th, 2017 10:07 am

Have you found anything else for Garage Door openers and anything else besides Ring?

I was thinking, would a motion sensor outside the door work and an a camera? Also the motion sensor can be used to turn out the exterior light and exterior pot lights if someone comes to the door at night? Or perhaps it can sense a car pulling into the driveway and turn on?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23603 posts
2195 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hello99 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 3:45 pm
Have you found anything else for Garage Door openers and anything else besides Ring?
I don't think there is a solution to replace Ring if you want video. Z-Wave doesn't have the bandwidth to transmit video.

For the garage, the best solution I've found is

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-garage-door-controller

It is currently vapor ware, but it is scheduled to be released this year.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
805 posts
23 upvotes
Gee wrote:
May 19th, 2017 1:14 am
I don't think there is a solution to replace Ring if you want video. Z-Wave doesn't have the bandwidth to transmit video.

For the garage, the best solution I've found is

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-garage-door-controller

It is currently vapor ware, but it is scheduled to be released this year.
Would a outdoor camera with motion sensor work instead?

I want to put some cameras on the exterior of the house anyways, not sure how well cameras integrate with openHAB or samsung smartthings?

Have you looked into smoke/CO detectors?
Nov 9, 2008
879 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
hello99 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:43 am
Does anyone know the difference between the Lutron Caseta and Lutron Caseta pro products?

I'm going to buy some switches and bridge and was wondering which one to get?
Looking into these as well for my basement (line voltage pot lights, LED bulbs, 3-way circuits) and main floor (magnetic low voltage pot lights, Halogen bulbs, 3 way circuits) and have the same question. I think the Pro version supports Electronic and Magnetic Low Voltage lighting, and has a neutral wire??
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
805 posts
23 upvotes
jacquesstrap wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:49 am
Looking into these as well for my basement (line voltage pot lights, LED bulbs, 3-way circuits) and main floor (magnetic low voltage pot lights, Halogen bulbs, 3 way circuits) and have the same question. I think the Pro version supports Electronic and Magnetic Low Voltage lighting, and has a neutral wire??
Not sure...From what I'm reading the PRO bridge supports other Lutron products. Then they have a PRO switch as well. Typically the switch requires a neutral to work but the PRO switch says it doesn't need a neutral. The pro switch also says it also supports 240V as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23603 posts
2195 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hello99 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:54 am
Would a outdoor camera with motion sensor work instead?

I want to put some cameras on the exterior of the house anyways, not sure how well cameras integrate with openHAB or samsung smartthings?

Have you looked into smoke/CO detectors?
I'm planning on 8 IP cameras with an NVR to cover the perimeter of the house and garage. I don't think the security cameras need to be part of Z-Wave network. I can access the cameras through a VPN directly by IP. Good cameras will send alerts via email but I don't want to be bombarded with emails every time something moves.

I haven't looked at smoke or carbon monoxide sensors. I think it is easier to get a temperature sensor for fire and I don't need alerts for carbon monoxide unless I am at home. The problem with these detectors are the elements used to detect the smoke or gas wears out.

For my first go, I plan on

Honeywell thermostat
Light switch for outdoor pot lights
Garage door
Back yard light switch
Temperature sensors on all floors
Door locks for front door and garage
Door sensor for kitchen door to backyard

I don't see a need to do indoor lights. I plan to use PIR (mention sensing) switches for bathrooms and I may try a Z-Wave bulb in a few rooms.

I'm also investigating Home Assistant as an alternative to OpenHAB
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
805 posts
23 upvotes
Gee wrote:
May 19th, 2017 1:02 pm
I'm planning on 8 IP cameras with an NVR to cover the perimeter of the house and garage. I don't think the security cameras need to be part of Z-Wave network. I can access the cameras through a VPN directly by IP. Good cameras will send alerts via email but I don't want to be bombarded with emails every time something moves.

I haven't looked at smoke or carbon monoxide sensors. I think it is easier to get a temperature sensor for fire and I don't need alerts for carbon monoxide unless I am at home. The problem with these detectors are the elements used to detect the smoke or gas wears out.

For my first go, I plan on

Honeywell thermostat
Light switch for outdoor pot lights
Garage door
Back yard light switch
Temperature sensors on all floors
Door locks for front door and garage
Door sensor for kitchen door to backyard

I don't see a need to do indoor lights. I plan to use PIR (mention sensing) switches for bathrooms and I may try a Z-Wave bulb in a few rooms.

I'm also investigating Home Assistant as an alternative to OpenHAB
Thanks...I have not heard of Home Assistant, I'll look into it also.

Your list is pretty much in line with mine.

I'm thinking of installing the Lutron Caseta bridge and switches for the switches first. Not sure what to do about the others? Which temperature sensors are you thinking of?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3469 posts
278 upvotes
St. John's
Is there anything out there that's available in Canada that will give you reports of the temperature (and humidity) in your house?
Let's hug it out
Flickr