Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24402 posts
2447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
RCGA wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:13 pm
That's pretty much exactly what I want.

Before I google further, do I need a hub to control this? Or is it plug and play?
All smart devices need a hub. The sensor gathers the information and it has to report it to some sort of hub. A Single hub can control 232 Z-Wave devices
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
810 posts
23 upvotes
Gee wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:24 pm
All smart devices need a hub. The sensor gathers the information and it has to report it to some sort of hub. A Single hub can control 232 Z-Wave devices
Would a Samsung Smartthings work?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24402 posts
2447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hello99 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 1:16 pm
I'm thinking of installing the Lutron Caseta bridge and switches for the switches first. Not sure what to do about the others? Which temperature sensors are you thinking of?
I would skip the Lutron switches and just stick to Z-Wave. I think ZigBee is a better protocol but there is definitely more support for Z-Wave. Switches are typically around $40 - $60 Canadian. It is simple to install too.

See my response to RCGA for the temperature sensor
hello99 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:34 pm
Would a Samsung Smartthings work?
Yes it will work, SmartThings support Z-Wave. I just prefer to build my own

When you look at the whole picture, the sensors show you the state of the device, you can then create actions based on conditions. These actions are controlled by the hub. The hub basically gathers the state of each sensor (on, off, temperature, etc) and stores it on the hub. The hub has a web server built in. You use any browser to view the state of each device. There are even remote apps for Android and iOS to access the web server (need to port forward on your router or setup a VPN)

The SmartThings hub supports Samsung's protocol as well as Z-Wave, if you build your own, you will need to buy a Z-Wave Radio to receive the data from all your Z-Wave devices
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
810 posts
23 upvotes
Gee wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:35 pm
I would skip the Lutron switches and just stick to Z-Wave. I think ZigBee is a better protocol but there is definitely more support for Z-Wave. Switches are typically around $40 - $60 Canadian. It is simple to install too.

See my response to RCGA for the temperature sensor

Yes it will work, SmartThings support Z-Wave. I just prefer to build my own

When you look at the whole picture, the sensors show you the state of the device, you can then create actions based on conditions. These actions are controlled by the hub. The hub basically gathers the state of each sensor (on, off, temperature, etc) and stores it on the hub. The hub has a web server built in. You use any browser to view the state of each device. There are even remote apps for Android and iOS to access the web server (need to port forward on your router or setup a VPN)

The SmartThings hub supports Samsung's protocol as well as Z-Wave, if you build your own, you will need to buy a Z-Wave Radio to receive the data from all your Z-Wave devices
Wow, you are going to build your one Z-Wave hub? How are you going to put that together? What hardware and software?

Which Z-wave switches would you recommend? Lutron Caseta was recommended on this thread so I was just thinking of buying a that system.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24402 posts
2447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hello99 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:52 pm
Wow, you are going to build your one Z-Wave hub? How are you going to put that together? What hardware and software?

Which Z-wave switches would you recommend? Lutron Caseta was recommended on this thread so I was just thinking of buying a that system.
I am building my own based on Home Assistant or OpenHAB. Both Home Assistant and OpenHAB are open source software that collects data and display it through their web server. The hardware is really cheap. For a small system, you can use a Raspberry Pi and a Z-Wave Radio. I plan to use a NUC like computer with a Celeron and 4 Gigs (it's over kill). I will probably try it first on a Pi but I have read that the MicroSD cards gets trashed because of all the writes.

Lutron is a Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz) based protocol and so is SmartThings. Z-Wave is a mesh network based on 900 MHz frequency. You don't need long range for these devices and each device is a repeater. You also need to pair all your Z-Wave devices with the hub so it is secure.

Both GE and Leviton makes Decora type Z-Wave switches. Basic on / off switches sell for $60 Canadian

https://store.leviton.com/collections/z-wave

SmartThings can be used just for the radios as it supports both 2.4 and 900 and you can use OpenHAB or Home Assistant to pull the data off the SmartThings hub
Oct 6, 2012
65 posts
16 upvotes
edmonton
Is there a way to get smartthings hub cheaper in Canada ? The cheapest I see is $199 with Amazon and Aartech charges $299.00 for hub and couple switches. Thanks
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
810 posts
23 upvotes
Gee wrote:
May 19th, 2017 5:00 pm
I am building my own based on Home Assistant or OpenHAB. Both Home Assistant and OpenHAB are open source software that collects data and display it through their web server. The hardware is really cheap. For a small system, you can use a Raspberry Pi and a Z-Wave Radio. I plan to use a NUC like computer with a Celeron and 4 Gigs (it's over kill). I will probably try it first on a Pi but I have read that the MicroSD cards gets trashed because of all the writes.

Lutron is a Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz) based protocol and so is SmartThings. Z-Wave is a mesh network based on 900 MHz frequency. You don't need long range for these devices and each device is a repeater. You also need to pair all your Z-Wave devices with the hub so it is secure.

Both GE and Leviton makes Decora type Z-Wave switches. Basic on / off switches sell for $60 Canadian

https://store.leviton.com/collections/z-wave

SmartThings can be used just for the radios as it supports both 2.4 and 900 and you can use OpenHAB or Home Assistant to pull the data off the SmartThings hub

I was thinking of first setting up everything with a Samsung Smart Things hub and then when I get more familiar with an OpenHAB, use that. That is why I was thinking of getting the Lutron Caseta as the bridge would take care of all the Z-wave communication if I went with OpenHab?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24402 posts
2447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hello99 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 3:52 pm
I was thinking of first setting up everything with a Samsung Smart Things hub and then when I get more familiar with an OpenHAB, use that. That is why I was thinking of getting the Lutron Caseta as the bridge would take care of all the Z-wave communication if I went with OpenHab?
Do it right the first time, don't bother with Wi-Fi. It's an extra investment.
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
810 posts
23 upvotes
Gee wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 5:17 pm
Do it right the first time, don't bother with Wi-Fi. It's an extra investment.
Hmm...what other alternatives do I have for Zwave hub with OpenHAB if I don't build one myself? Or is the Zwave radio off the shelf?

Also, any thoughts on the Ring Doorbell?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24402 posts
2447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hello99 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 6:27 pm
Hmm...what other alternatives do I have for Zwave hub with OpenHAB if I don't build one myself? Or is the Zwave radio off the shelf?

Also, any thoughts on the Ring Doorbell?
You can use SmartThings as a hub for Z-Wave. OpenHAB is just an interface. You still need a Z-Wave radio. The best part about Z-Wave is that it is off the shelf and not tied to a cloud service. The easy solutions are Wi-Fi and tied to cloud services.

I think the Ring Doorbell is great, but it is Wi-Fi and tied to a cloud service. That makes it a non starter for me. My solution is to get an IP camera with two way voice and a Z-Wave doorbell. It's more hassles to use but I won't have some third party company with access to my doorbell
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
810 posts
23 upvotes
Gee wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 6:40 pm
You can use SmartThings as a hub for Z-Wave. OpenHAB is just an interface. You still need a Z-Wave radio. The best part about Z-Wave is that it is off the shelf and not tied to a cloud service. The easy solutions are Wi-Fi and tied to cloud services.

I think the Ring Doorbell is great, but it is Wi-Fi and tied to a cloud service. That makes it a non starter for me. My solution is to get an IP camera with two way voice and a Z-Wave doorbell. It's more hassles to use but I won't have some third party company with access to my doorbell
Sorry, just to clarify...I will need a Z-wave radio only if I only choose to use the OpenHAB option.

If I go with SmartThings I won't need a Z-wave radio correct?

Have you an external web camera with 2 way voice and a z-wave doorbell in mind?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24402 posts
2447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hello99 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 7:54 pm
Sorry, just to clarify...I will need a Z-wave radio only if I only choose to use the OpenHAB option.

If I go with SmartThings I won't need a Z-wave radio correct?

Have you an external web camera with 2 way voice and a z-wave doorbell in mind?
The SmartThings hub has a Z-Wave radio built in. If you build a computer or use a Raspberry Pi, you will need a Z-Wave radio. If you decide to start with SmartThings and then move to OpenHAB, you can use the existing radio in the SmartThings hub with OpenHAB and you don't have to invest in a Z-Wave Radio. It is like an internet modem with a built in router. If you want to use your own router, you simply put it in bridge mode.

The Z-Wave door bell is easy to find, it is the camera system and I am trying to decide between HikVision or Axis