• Nov 14th, 2017 6:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7794 posts
1874 upvotes
Brampton
hello99 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 1:50 pm
Anyone recommend a good z-wave switch to replace my 3 way switch?

I have been using the levition z-wave switches for simple on/off switch but I'm not sure if they have something for 3-way switches?

Thanks.
Levinton, GE and GoControl all have multiway switches.

Theyre broken down as load control(main) and remote switches(slaves).
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
826 posts
24 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 3:09 pm
Levinton, GE and GoControl all have multiway switches.

Theyre broken down as load control(main) and remote switches(slaves).
Sorry...had to edit as i thought you meant lutron.
Right now I've been using a samsung smartthings and just some zwave leviton switches but I don't see which switch would be used as a slave? Maybe not googling correctly?
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
826 posts
24 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 2:06 pm
I've just put in the start of my HA system, with a Wink hub. The Lutron Caseta switches work, and the Pico switches work as the "remote" switch.

C
Does the Wink Hub work with the Lutron switches? Or did you need to get the lutron bridge as well?

Care to share your setup? Or what you plan to do?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2305 upvotes
Edmonton
hello99 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 4:46 pm
Does the Wink Hub work with the Lutron switches? Or did you need to get the lutron bridge as well?

Care to share your setup? Or what you plan to do?
I'm just starting out, and learning as I go...

I had put in the Lutron Caseta switches awhile ago as a cheap/fast way to add "4 way" functionality to our bedroom lights. One on each side of the bed and a master switch at the door. Worked great, and every switch was a dimmer.

Then I picked up the Wink hub at HD for $30, more just to play with it. Connected the master switch to the hub, and can control the light from my phone. It "broke" the remote switches, but I found out I just needed to add them to the hub too. It's either/or.

Then I ordered the GE lamp dimmer and a Lutron Connected Bulb remote. It looks like the Pico remote, but I think it's more generic. With these, I connected our under cabinet LED strings (the $20 lights from Amazon, and stuck the remote switch to the wall beside a receptacle, and put on a 2 gang switch cover. Worked like a damn, and I can move it anywhere I like.

Next was an outdoor plug, like the GE lamp. That has our outdoor LED strings on it (HomeDepot specials). On the Connected Bulb remote, the top and bottom buttons control the on/off for the UC lights, and the middle two buttons control the outdoor lights. I have an extra remote, but since all the buttons are programmable and the lights are in close proximity, I'm just using the one for now.

The only "gotcha" besides the first set of remotes getting disconnected from the Lutron switch is that there's a delay when turning on the GE devices (the UC and outdoor lights), and even though the GE indoor receptacle is a dimmer switch, it doesn't dim. Not the end of the world, though.

I also have a Sensi thermostat that I could connect, but haven't bothered to yet, as it has its own app for mobile devices.

Future plans...
Doorbell and video at front/back of house.
Garage door control and sensors (possibly video there too).
Connecting a remote switch up for the garage lights in the house (detached garage).
Smoke/CO sensor.
Potentially moving my security system to the HA system. We just have a basic system, but why pay for the high-end system?

C
Feb 3, 2006
967 posts
19 upvotes
rf134a wrote:
May 29th, 2017 4:19 pm
No, I only ordered the Aqara sensors 4 days ago. They probably won't leave China for another week. The regular round Xiaomi sensors work fine for about the same price. They feel better built than my GoControl/ Linear z-wave sensors.
Where did you buy these sensors?
Jan 15, 2013
697 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SmartThin ... B010NZV14U

Is this "starter" kit solid?

At the moment, I would need the following:

Hub

5 door and window sensors

1 dimmer/light switch

1 alarm that can be set remotely through phone

Perhaps 2 cameras that I can watch through in real time

SkyBell HD

I don't know how much I'm looking at (I'm guessing around $1500~). Looking for the most cost effective places/website on the internet.

I believe Monoprice has sensors for an excellent price but I'd love to buy local. Any idea where?
Nov 18, 2016
40 posts
28 upvotes
Brookside05 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 10:47 pm
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SmartThin ... B010NZV14U

Is this "starter" kit solid?
The price on Amazon.ca for these kits is waaaayyyyy too high. FYI, it was 125USD a little less than a week ago on Amazon.com. Moreover, there is still a 99USD deal going on smartthings.com including a hub, motion sensor and 2 connected bulbs that ships to Canada for a flat fee of 15 USD. It makes me think I haven't seen it on RFD so I will post it as soon as I finish this message.

Good luck
Apr 23, 2014
670 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Would anybody know where to get z-wave door/window sensors that would work with wink hub?

I would need 3. Would the above mentioned Aqara sensors work with Wink?
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1493 posts
193 upvotes
What is the cheapest and easiest to use set that I should start with?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3758 posts
223 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 8:45 pm
What is the cheapest and easiest to use set that I should start with?
SmartThings. Best community for help, and hub can be had for $50 regularly. Very compatible with most existing services (IFTTT, Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant, etc)
Apr 10, 2017
377 posts
98 upvotes
x-posted @ the Smartthings thread

Question:

I have 2 x 3 way gang switch in my home

- 1 serves as a switch to my porch, sconce and livingroom potlights
- other 1 serves as a switch for my kitchen, livingroom and I forgot the other one

1. Is there a 3 way gang switch that works with Smartthings? Preferably from a reputable manufacturer. I've seen a ton from Alibaba but I can't trust it

2. Is there a 3 way gang switch that has a dimmer?

I'm thinking to just have a 1-3 way gang switch that works with Smartthings and I''ll have the other 1-3 way switch with a manual dimmer

Actually need another 2-2 way gang switch but let me tackle this first
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5032 posts
709 upvotes
You're getting your terminology wrong. "Gang" refers to the number of switch placed in a row. 2 or more switches controlling a single source is 3/4/5+ way.

The cheapest is to use the Lutron Caseta, then cap off a switch and place the pico remote in its place. The mounting bracket is around $20. This is fine until you decide to sell the house. Also takes some getting use to since the Caseta is flush, and requires a gateway.

The GE/Jasco z-wave plus support n-way switches by using a master switch ($60) and multiple slave switches ($30). These are standard decora switches, so there's no change in the way you turn the lights on and off.

Aartech.ca is your best source for ULc/CSA certified gear. Or roll the dice with imported stuff. It's your house and family's life, so you decide how much that's worth.
Biscayne05 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 9:06 am
x-posted @ the Smartthings thread

Question:

I have 2 x 3 way gang switch in my home

- other 1 serves as a switch for my kitchen, livingroom and I forgot the other one

1. Is there a 3 way gang switch that works with Smartthings? Preferably from a reputable manufacturer. I've seen a ton from Alibaba but I can't trust it

2. Is there a 3 way gang switch that has a dimmer?

I'm thinking to just have a 1-3 way gang switch that works with Smartthings and I''ll have the other 1-3 way switch with a manual dimmer

Actually need another 2-2 way gang switch but let me tackle this first
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Apr 10, 2017
377 posts
98 upvotes
rf134a wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:40 am
You're getting your terminology wrong. "Gang" refers to the number of switch placed in a row. 2 or more switches controlling a single source is 3/4/5+ way.

The cheapest is to use the Lutron Caseta, then cap off a switch and place the pico remote in its place. The mounting bracket is around $20. This is fine until you decide to sell the house. Also takes some getting use to since the Caseta is flush, and requires a gateway.

The GE/Jasco z-wave plus support n-way switches by using a master switch ($60) and multiple slave switches ($30). These are standard decora switches, so there's no change in the way you turn the lights on and off.

Aartech.ca is your best source for ULc/CSA certified gear. Or roll the dice with imported stuff. It's your house and family's life, so you decide how much that's worth.
I dont think I am, let me clarify:

I have 2 x 3 gang switch in my main floor, looks like this

they control

I just didn't make it clear. I have a total of 6 buttons, 2 of which controls the living room lights, the other 4 controls other light sources

My plan:

for the 1st set that controls the living room, porch and garage sconce - I get a smart 3 way gang switch

for the 2nd set that controls the livingroom, kitchen and another area - I get a manual switch (is there a 3 way gang switch where 1 is a dimmer? I certainly need a dimmer for my livingroom)

Hope this clears it up
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5032 posts
709 upvotes
Ah, I see. :) The plate simply hides 3 separate switches. You can use any z-wave, zigbee, bluetooth or wifi switch, they'll all work. However, most are the newer decora style, so you'll need to change the faceplate as well.
For dimming purposes, the Leviton dimmer has a little rocker on the side so you don't have to use an app to dim the lights. These can be found at your local Home Depot. I use a Leviton switch and 2 regular non-controlled Leviton switches in a 3-gang position just like you have shown. You just replace whichever switch you want to control with another one, assuming there's enough space in the box AND a neutral wire.

It looks like GE makes a z-wave toggle switch.
Biscayne05 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:56 am
I dont think I am, let me clarify:

I have 2 x 3 gang switch in my main floor, looks like this

they control

I just didn't make it clear. I have a total of 6 buttons, 2 of which controls the living room lights, the other 4 controls other light sources
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.