• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 6:52 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4731 posts
2309 upvotes
Edmonton
I've used the Caseta switches for 3 (or more) way light control (with dimmers). They work pretty slick. And they connect directly to a Wink hub (no Caseta gateway required).

Con is that when they're connected to an HA system, there's a delay between pressing the button and the light changing.

The Pico and Connected Bulb remotes work slick, and can work with other z-wave devices. I use a Connected Bulb remote to control two GE lamp modules (one inside, one outside), and put the remote on the wall in a faceplate, so it looks like a hard-wired switch. Because the lights I have plugged into the modules are not actually dimmable, I use one remote to control two sets of lights (there's 4 buttons on the remote; usually one is off, one is on, one is dim, one is brighten).

If you're interested, I can get more details.
Connected Bulb remote: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014ST ... UTF8&psc=1
Caseta switch with Pico remote: https://www.amazon.ca/Lutron-P-PKG1W-WH ... rds=caseta
Inside GE lamp module: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00PYM ... UTF8&psc=1
Outside GE lamp module: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0013V ... UTF8&psc=1

C
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
7058 posts
7538 upvotes
I got my Chamberlain GDO with built-in WiFi and MyQ about 2 years ago. When HD was clearing out the MyQ switch and lamp control last year, I purchased a few. I basically got them free after I sold the key chain remotes which came with the switch and lamp control.

I am going to get a free Ecobee thermostat from Alberta Energy efficiency program in near future.

When I did my research on Chamberlain MyQ system, I registered to their community forum to ask questions. I am getting a free Chamberlain Home Bridge for Apple Homekit from Chamberlain in couple of months.

Now, my job is to link them together. I am interested in the DIY OpenHAB used by tebore. I am a SCADA system analyst and programmer specialized in making boxes to communicate with each other. With proper API documentation, I can make them work together.

Newbie questions:
1. Is Apple HomeKit a hardware box which can be purchased like the Google home box? When I search for Apple HomeKit on BB or apple.ca, lots of HomeKit compatible device shows up.
2. Can I use my Chamberlain HomeBridge with OpenHAB?
3. Chamberlain charges $1/m to use their server with Google Home and IFTTT. I am going to read more about the OpenHAB to monitor/control MyQ opener and accessories.
4. Google Home(GH) uses Google Assistant to control things. My Android phone has Google Assistant(GA). What features which my phone GA cannot do and GH can do? Can I use an old Android phone to do the job of GH?

TIA
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
1x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Zoomer $94.50 family plan for 3 numbers, 1x Zoomer $16.20 plan
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1879 upvotes
Brampton
embguy wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 12:40 pm
I got my Chamberlain GDO with built-in WiFi and MyQ about 2 years ago. When HD was clearing out the MyQ switch and lamp control last year, I purchased a few. I basically got them free after I sold the key chain remotes which came with the switch and lamp control.

I am going to get a free Ecobee thermostat from Alberta Energy efficiency program in near future.

When I did my research on Chamberlain MyQ system, I registered to their community forum to ask questions. I am getting a free Chamberlain Home Bridge for Apple Homekit from Chamberlain in couple of months.

Now, my job is to link them together. I am interested in the DIY OpenHAB used by tebore. I am a SCADA system analyst and programmer specialized in making boxes to communicate with each other. With proper API documentation, I can make them work together.

Newbie questions:
1. Is Apple HomeKit a hardware box which can be purchased like the Google home box? When I search for Apple HomeKit on BB or apple.ca, lots of HomeKit compatible device shows up.
3. Chamberlain charges $1/m to use their server with Google Home and IFTTT. I am going to read more about the OpenHAB to monitor/control MyQ opener and accessories.
4. Google Home(GH) uses Google Assistant to control things. My Android phone has Google Assistant(GA). What features which my phone GA cannot do and GH can do? Can I use an old Android phone to do the job of GH?

TIA
Bolded = That was my journey.

Yes MyQ bridge will work with Openhab (Provided Chamberlain doesn't break the API again, the Pay for use signals that they might).

If you're a SCADA system analyst you may already be somewhat familiar with the concept of MQTT, which a lot of DIY HA "Stuff" support. OpenHAB supports this pretty well.

Homekit sucks no ifs and or buts about it. Mostly because Siri is a terrible assistant for the most part. But to answer your question HomeKit is your iOS device (any of them that support Homekit) but for remote access and You need the ATV4 to act as your hub. Homekit for the most part works over BT and Wifi, the devices need a specific encryption chip by broadcom to work.

Yes. The integration happens in the cloud via their API not locally. You may notice that your MyQ switches have a lag in response time when controlled over the MyQ App.

Openhab and most of the non-official integration use an unofficial API to do it this includes the unofficial skill via Alexa. Wink, IFTTT, GA/GH, Homekit are as far as I know using the official integration methods.
My OH setup has full control of my opener, switches and lamp control.

I have a love hate relationship for GH/GA because GA is not consistent across the board. GA on your phone is slightly different than on GH. There's also this annoying thing it does where if both are in ear shot of each other they either both respond or both don't bother responding. I know it doesn't 100% answer your question, but I wanted you to know GA on your phone vs GH isn't the same experience.

I use Echo Dots as my Home Automation front end. I enabled the Google Search Skill on it. I found in my testing the Dots have the best sensitivity and response in all the listening speakers (Note: Not sound quality for music). The DOT has 7 mics and I have them all over the house. I just have to talk in my normal speaking volume and one of them will pick it up.
Here's another weakness for Homekit they don't have a Home Automation front end outside of your iOS devices which is really bad at picking up your commands. Hey Siri was trash in iOS10, it's tolerable now but it's still not as good as a dedicated listening speaker like a Dot or a GH.
Nov 7, 2012
659 posts
233 upvotes
TORONTO
tebore wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 1:49 pm

Homekit sucks no ifs and or buts about it. Mostly because Siri is a terrible assistant for the most part. But to answer your question HomeKit is your iOS device (any of them that support Homekit) but for remote access and You need the ATV4 to act as your hub. Homekit for the most part works over BT and Wifi, the devices need a specific encryption chip by broadcom to work.

You don't 'need' and ATV4 to be the hub.
Get started

Set up your HomeKit accessories in the Home app on your iOS device.
To control your accessories remotely, you need an Apple TV (3rd generation)* or an Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 9.0 or later.
To set up automations and user permissions, you need an Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 10 or an iPad with iOS 10 or later.

I have an ipad Mini 2 as my current hub. I do have an ATV 3rd gen. But depending on the homekit devices you have it can be cumbersome. More specifically BT devices where line of site is preferred. This is the case with my Schlage Sense, though it does work when my ipad is moved around and not too many walls are in the way. I like being able to use my ipad as the hub as it rarely leaves my house.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1879 upvotes
Brampton
akswun wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 2:55 pm
You don't 'need' and ATV4 to be the hub.

I have an ipad Mini 2 as my current hub. I do have an ATV 3rd gen. But depending on the homekit devices you have it can be cumbersome. More specifically BT devices where line of site is preferred. This is the case with my Schlage Sense, though it does work when my ipad is moved around and not too many walls are in the way. I like being able to use my ipad as the hub as it rarely leaves my house.
Sorry you're right. You could use an (supported) iPad or an ATV3. As you've discovered tho with the BT HK devices you need line of site for best functionality.
This is why I don't even consider anything but the ATV4 to be the hub because it supports the latest BT protocol (and AC Wireless but this is less important due to the hardwire) and has the best range out of all the products as well as a Wired network connection.

I tend to end to just skipping what just works when talking HA.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
7058 posts
7538 upvotes
Great. When I receive my free HomeBridge from Chamberlain, I will test it with my iPad to control my GDO, wall switch and light control devices. I don't plan on getting an ATV. As the same time, I can play with the openHAB before deciding which system is for me.
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
1x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Zoomer $94.50 family plan for 3 numbers, 1x Zoomer $16.20 plan
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1611 posts
446 upvotes
Mississauga
embguy wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 3:25 pm
Great. When I receive my free HomeBridge from Chamberlain, I will test it with my iPad to control my GDO, wall switch and light control devices. I don't plan on getting an ATV. As the same time, I can play with the openHAB before deciding which system is for me.
How did you score one for free?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
7058 posts
7538 upvotes
bubuski wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 8:54 pm
How did you score one for free?
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/chamberl ... v-2131162/
Dec 15, 2013
150 posts
29 upvotes
TORONTO
I have a Caseta Wireless Plug-In Lamp Dimmer and a Pico Remote. I also have a Homekit-enabled iPad. Does anybody know if I can just use my iPad to control my dimmer (if I want to use Siri for example and not use my remote) or do I still need to get the bridge from Lutron?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2136 posts
231 upvotes
I got my first home and want to automate it. Not sure where to start. I was looking at insteon. But their devices get horrible reviews. Especially their hub. I am mainly looking at alarm and dimmers. And some cameras. I also use android and got Amazon echos.
Thank you
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25422 posts
2757 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
No system is perfect. I personally don't like anything in the cloud. My automation choice is Z-Wave
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4731 posts
2309 upvotes
Edmonton
EEE2 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:05 pm
I got my first home and want to automate it. Not sure where to start. I was looking at insteon. But their devices get horrible reviews. Especially their hub. I am mainly looking at alarm and dimmers. And some cameras. I also use android and got Amazon echos.
Thank you
I started with the Caseta switches (mainly for doing 3 way switches easily), and added a Wink hub later. Pretty happy with it so far. It's Z-Wave compatible as well, and I've got a couple of GE switches thrown in for good measure (indoor and outdoor).

C
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1879 upvotes
Brampton
EEE2 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:05 pm
Thank you
Gee wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:39 pm
No system is perfect. I personally don't like anything in the cloud. My automation choice is Z-Wave
Z-Wave is definitely the way to go in my experience. It's the least shackled down protocol to settle on. Devices can be found cheap, the protocol is very reliable (can be finicky at times) and it allows you to intermix brands no problem.

The only point for improvement is Apple support is relatively poor because Homekit doesn't have a native tap in to Zwave. I assume the ATV5 will focus more heavily on HA and will include the zigbee and Z-wave radios. But for now your only way in would be through a hub like Wink or Casteta. Which relies on a cloud connection to call on the APIs.

That all said. Insteon isn't terrible at least not as bad as the reviews make it out to be. They did have some serious teething issues in theearly Hubs. The latest Generation hub with Homekit support is really good. The Devices themselves have also really improved as well. The issue here is if you're starting with Insteon is you're kinda "locked" in to using insteon for everything.

My personal HA setup is OpenHAB and using all sorts of protocols. Zwave, Wifi, BT and some Cloud.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7380 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 4:01 pm
High Wife Approval factor is key.
Lol, wife approval factor. I didn't read all 8 pages but just seeing the thread title made me chuckle: just be careful guys and don't turn your home into that one from the movie Demon Seed lmao.

Carry on. :D
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1879 upvotes
Brampton
tranquility922 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 11:12 am
Lol, wife approval factor. I didn't read all 8 pages but just seeing the thread title made me chuckle: just be careful guys and don't turn your home into that one from the movie Demon Seed lmao.

Carry on. :D
That's how I know i'm on the right track :D
When my SO says "well that was handy" the automation doesn't need to be the most complex thing in the world.
Literally the most helpful thing is making sure the hallway and kitchen lights are on when she comes back from Grocery shopping. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)