• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 6:52 pm
Aug 15, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
+1 for Z-wave. Stay away from proprietary stuff. Z-wave works with a lot of things and there are a ton of devices available. Use Samsung SmartThing to connect to your Google Home or Echo.
I think there was a sale thread on hot deals a bit ago for a SmartThings deal.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3781 posts
235 upvotes
leafygreen wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 12:00 pm
+1 for Z-wave. Stay away from proprietary stuff. Z-wave works with a lot of things and there are a ton of devices available. Use Samsung SmartThing to connect to your Google Home or Echo.
I think there was a sale thread on hot deals a bit ago for a SmartThings deal.
+1, smart things hub has been $50 USD multiple times this year
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2138 posts
231 upvotes
I need some z wave dimmers and a good thermostat can anyone recommend me something.
Apr 10, 2017
380 posts
100 upvotes
Does anyone have water sensors here?

I bought an Aeotec branded one but it doesn't detect water (I dipped the sensor head in water). It still says dry. The Youtube video-demo does work flawlessly though.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2565 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
EEE2 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 7:03 pm
I need some z wave dimmers and a good thermostat can anyone recommend me something.
watch amazon.ca for switches
I've got several GoControl and GE switches/dimmers around the house, and scored them for between $35 - $50 depending on sales
with smartthings, mixing brands is no issue

for thermostat, i'd recommend Ecobee
Ecobee is an open platform, and doesn't require any additional apps to intergrate into the smartthings hub
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2138 posts
231 upvotes
gq_fuzion wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 12:52 pm
watch amazon.ca for switches
I've got several GoControl and GE switches/dimmers around the house, and scored them for between $35 - $50 depending on sales
with smartthings, mixing brands is no issue

for thermostat, i'd recommend Ecobee
Ecobee is an open platform, and doesn't require any additional apps to intergrate into the smartthings hub
Whats the difference between ecobee 3 and the lite version?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
7068 posts
7541 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 2:35 pm
Whats the difference between ecobee 3 and the lite version?
The ecobee3 lite does not support accessories (HRVs, ventilators, humidifiers, and dehumidifiers). However, you still get all the same smart functions offered by the ecobee3, such as Smart Recovery and scheduling.

Both version supports up to 32 room sensors. The Lite version does not come with room sensor.

I have my Ecobee Lite with 1 room sensor for 2 days.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
1x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Zoomer $94.50 family plan for 3 numbers, 1x Zoomer $16.20 plan
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2138 posts
231 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 2:48 pm
The ecobee3 lite does not support accessories (HRVs, ventilators, humidifiers, and dehumidifiers). However, you still get all the same smart functions offered by the ecobee3, such as Smart Recovery and scheduling.

Both version supports up to 32 room sensors. The Lite version does not come with room sensor.

I have my Ecobee Lite with 1 room sensor for 2 days.
Are the sensors to better detect the climate?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
7068 posts
7541 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 7:13 pm
Are the sensors to better detect the climate?
Room sensor measures the temperature and detects whether someone is at that location. Google room sensor for more details
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
1x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Zoomer $94.50 family plan for 3 numbers, 1x Zoomer $16.20 plan
Temp. Banned
Apr 6, 2016
277 posts
8 upvotes
If I lived in silicon valley I am sure these system would be much less complicated
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2138 posts
231 upvotes
Anyone got experience with installing a sensor In a room that will turn on the light when you enter. I want to do this to my laundry room.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3781 posts
235 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 9:06 am
Anyone got experience with installing a sensor In a room that will turn on the light when you enter. I want to do this to my laundry room.
If that's all you need, go to home depot and get a motion activated light switch. Should be around $20. I have this in my mud room.

If you do want it as part of a HA system, then get some bulbs like this (Sengled Element Classic Dimmable Smart Bulb, A19 Zigbee Bulb, Compatible with Samsung SmartThings and Wink Hub, Requires Hub for Alexa and Google Assistant, 3 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N7I4X94/ref ... -zbZVTWA66), get a xiaomi motion sensor from a place that sells the "best gear" (around $10) and set them both up in smart things or equivalent hub.

I have this is my son's room, set to go on for 5 minutes when motion detected, except after sunset
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2138 posts
231 upvotes
joshmxpx wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 9:12 am
If that's all you need, go to home depot and get a motion activated light switch. Should be around $20. I have this in my mud room.

If you do want it as part of a HA system, then get some bulbs like this (Sengled Element Classic Dimmable Smart Bulb, A19 Zigbee Bulb, Compatible with Samsung SmartThings and Wink Hub, Requires Hub for Alexa and Google Assistant, 3 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N7I4X94/ref ... -zbZVTWA66), get a xiaomi motion sensor from a place that sells the "best gear" (around $10) and set them both up in smart things or equivalent hub.

I have this is my son's room, set to go on for 5 minutes when motion detected, except after sunset
Would this work with a philips hue light, do I require their hub.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1395 upvotes
Richmond
EEE2 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 10:27 am
Philips uses the Zigbee wireless protocol for their Hue bulbs, so you need a hub that supports Zigbee. That could be either the Philips hub, or one of the others like Wink or SmartThings that incorporates Zigbee support.

The thing is that Zigbee is an open standard run by a working group, and everyone feels free to customize it a little. You may find that some features of the Philips Hue bulbs are not fully supported or work erratically with a non-Philips hub - at least for a little while until the firmware catches up.

Z-Wave on the other hand is a proprietary protocol, with everyone required to use approved chips and firmware from one of the few licensed sources. That makes it slightly more expensive for manufacturers, but slightly more inter-operable.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3781 posts
235 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 10:27 am
You are not required to use philips hub, but it is best practice and only way it's officially supported by SmartThings