Home Automation Using Home Assistant

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 12:34 am
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2130 posts
2048 upvotes
Vancouver
Evil Baby wrote: That's really cool that you were able to do that. Now I feel a little silly for not jumping in on the deal when it was originally posted.
The Primecables zigbee hub+dimmer for $20 and the motion sensor for $8 are still available, but the door/window sensors for $7.49 are OOS - too many people buying at that low price since they are also compatible with SmartThings.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1051 posts
31 upvotes
Looking to purchase a thermostat, smoke detectors, door bell camera and some security cameras.

Currently I have samsung smartthings with leviton switches (which are so glitchy). I also have some Xiaomi water, temperature and motion sensors. Also, in the future a water valve to shut off my main water supply?

Question will the connector of the valve affect my water pressure? Even thought it says 3/4 inch I don't want my water pressure to be affected? Do people test this regularly? I don't want the solenoid to sieze as most water valves do over time?

I do want to move over to open source. What should I run Home Assistant on? a Raspberry Pi?

What thermostat would you recommend? I was going to buy NEST thermostat, NEST doorbell and NEST smoke alarms but then I read that google is going to stop supporting the API? Did they do that already?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19194 posts
2416 upvotes
Niagara Falls
hello99 wrote: Looking to purchase a thermostat, smoke detectors, door bell camera and some security cameras.

Currently I have samsung smartthings with leviton switches (which are so glitchy). I also have some Xiaomi water, temperature and motion sensors. Also, in the future a water valve to shut off my main water supply?

Question will the connector of the valve affect my water pressure? Even thought it says 3/4 inch I don't want my water pressure to be affected? Do people test this regularly? I don't want the solenoid to sieze as most water valves do over time?

I do want to move over to open source. What should I run Home Assistant on? a Raspberry Pi?

What thermostat would you recommend? I was going to buy NEST thermostat, NEST doorbell and NEST smoke alarms but then I read that google is going to stop supporting the API? Did they do that already?
Do you already have a Pi at home or an old PC? I'd start with either of those if you have one. The Pi is good enough but I ended up running it on a VM on my PC just in case I ever need more power, however that does mean I have to boot the VM up once a month after Windows updates.

I'm not sure if Google has closed off the API to new users yet but if you're starting fresh I'd stay away from them if you plan on using any other service. Just not worth the headache. Pretty upset they decided to do that. Really hope it back fires on them.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31323 posts
5538 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hello99 wrote: I do want to move over to open source. What should I run Home Assistant on? a Raspberry Pi?

Sorry for the long absence. I was away for most of the summer and just got back

A Raspberry Pi will be a good start if you want to get your feet wet. I found that I out grew the Pi in a relatively short time. I suggest you get a cheap PC. I run mine on an i3 NUC. You can get a Celeron or Pentium NUC for a little more than the cost of a Pi and it will work a lot better.

I am not a big fan of WiFi and I like the security of Z-Wave Plus.

For thermostats, I would look at a Radio Thermostat CT30. You can usually find them on eBay for ~30$ USD.
I use a Uniden WiFi doorbell that is hooked up to my DVR and accessible to Home Assistant using RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol)
I have found Z-Wave smoke detectors but nothing that offers Z-Wave Plus
Security Cameras, get a professional system and run it separately from Home Assistant. Don't buy the cheap consumer crap.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1051 posts
31 upvotes
Gee wrote: Sorry for the long absence. I was away for most of the summer and just got back

A Raspberry Pi will be a good start if you want to get your feet wet. I found that I out grew the Pi in a relatively short time. I suggest you get a cheap PC. I run mine on an i3 NUC. You can get a Celeron or Pentium NUC for a little more than the cost of a Pi and it will work a lot better.

For thermostats, I would look at a Radio Thermostat CT30. You can usually find them on eBay for ~30$ USD.
I use a Uniden WiFi doorbell that is hooked up to my DVR and accessible to Home Assistant using RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol)
Security Cameras, get a professional system and run it separately from Home Assistant. Don't buy the cheap consumer crap.
For Doorbell, I was thinking of Ring or Honeywell Skybell...for security cameras, anything you would recommend? TVI or IP camaera?

I'll take a look at the thermostat. Any thoughts on the honeywell lyrics t6?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31323 posts
5538 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
hello99 wrote: For Doorbell, I was thinking of Ring or Honeywell Skybell...for security cameras, anything you would recommend? TVI or IP camaera?

I'll take a look at the thermostat. Any thoughts on the honeywell lyrics t6?
Depends on your needs. I generally tell people to buy TVI as it is a lot cheaper and easier to setup. But you wont get all the features you would from IP and TVI currently doesn’t integrate into Home Assistant. Has to be done through the DVR. IP will give you individual camera access.

I am against anything that uses someone else’s cloud. That rules Ring out. I’ve heard good things about the SkyBell, but I don’t know enough to make an informed decision. But if it uses a cloud service, I am out.

The Honeywell T6 uses a cloud so that’s out for me. I think thermostats are the least important in any automation system as you typically can program a schedule in the thermostat. There really is no need to automate it. The Radio Thermostat has a 4 program 7 day schedule built in. But it also allows you to add two modules. You only need one and it supports everything (Z-Wave, ZigBee and WiFi). No cloud, and integrates with Home Assistant
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2130 posts
2048 upvotes
Vancouver
Gee wrote: Depends on your needs. I generally tell people to buy TVI as it is a lot cheaper and easier to setup. But you wont get all the features you would from IP and TVI currently doesn’t integrate into Home Assistant. Has to be done through the DVR. IP will give you individual camera access.

I am against anything that uses someone else’s cloud. That rules Ring out. I’ve heard good things about the SkyBell, but I don’t know enough to make an informed decision. But if it uses a cloud service, I am out.

The Honeywell T6 uses a cloud so that’s out for me. I think thermostats are the least important in any automation system as you typically can program a schedule in the thermostat. There really is no need to automate it. The Radio Thermostat has a 4 program 7 day schedule built in. But it also allows you to add two modules. You only need one and it supports everything (Z-Wave, ZigBee and WiFi). No cloud, and integrates with Home Assistant
The Honeywell thermostats can be controlled locally by Home Assistant without the cloud service. I've tested it by disconnecting internet to make sure it's completely local.

I have a Ring doorbell, but I don't think I'd recommend it to someone considering choices. The advantage of specialized doorbell cams is that they mount in place of an existing doorbell and can potentially use the doorbell wiring for power. Drawbacks: annual subscription fee for recording, inflexible placement, lag in response, potentially vulnerable to theft. But any cam with motion detection can substitute for their function, as long as you place the cam where it will see motion at the front door and you can run power to it. You can put the cam higher up, out of the way of casual theft, and angle it for a better view. Just so long as you can use 2-way voice with someone at the door.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31323 posts
5538 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Scote64 wrote: The Honeywell thermostats can be controlled locally by Home Assistant without the cloud service. I've tested it by disconnecting internet to make sure it's completely local.

I have a Ring doorbell, but I don't think I'd recommend it to someone considering choices. The advantage of specialized doorbell cams is that they mount in place of an existing doorbell and can potentially use the doorbell wiring for power. Drawbacks: annual subscription fee for recording, inflexible placement, lag in response, potentially vulnerable to theft. But any cam with motion detection can substitute for their function, as long as you place the cam where it will see motion at the front door and you can run power to it. You can put the cam higher up, out of the way of casual theft, and angle it for a better view. Just so long as you can use 2-way voice with someone at the door.
The reason why I choose the Uniden is because it doesn’t require batteries and uses your existing door bell wiring. It is WiFi (drawback) but I think it is really hard to fine a PoE doorbell. It integrates easily with my DVR for recordings and I can use RTSP to integrate it into Home Assistant

I checked the Honeywell Thermostat integration on Home Assistant and it asks for your cloud login and password. So I assumed you need to go through the Honeywell cloud. If it works locally without the account, then I am all for it. But you can do anything you want with the Radio Thermostat CT30 and it costs a lot less than the Honeywell. It is just not as pretty
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19194 posts
2416 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Anyone using Node-RED in HA? Anyone using Node-RED to send a TTS to their Google Home?
Oct 18, 2001
656 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
I am. I have my alarm which sends MQTT to HA when the door opens, and it says something like " Have a nice day Spencer at shool" and "Welcome home" something in those lines.

Evil Baby wrote: Anyone using Node-RED in HA? Anyone using Node-RED to send a TTS to their Google Home?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8124 posts
2381 upvotes
Gee wrote: Sorry for the long absence. I was away for most of the summer and just got back

I'm starting from scratch and was wondering about the differences between the pi and a NUC? any power consumption concerns by using a NUC?
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19194 posts
2416 upvotes
Niagara Falls
digiital wrote: I am. I have my alarm which sends MQTT to HA when the door opens, and it says something like " Have a nice day Spencer at shool" and "Welcome home" something in those lines.
I was having issues getting it working but managed. My wife was happy when my note telling her the dryer was done...

Now I just need my father in law to come over with his cell phone so I can get his identifier and make the speaker fart when he opens the door.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19194 posts
2416 upvotes
Niagara Falls
blexann wrote: I'm starting from scratch and was wondering about the differences between the pi and a NUC? any power consumption concerns by using a NUC?
It's going to use more power, you'd have to determine if that's an issue for you. Some people like to keep their power consumption as low as possible. A pi would be considerably cheaper to purchase and cheaper to run, that being said if you have a spare NUC or don't mind spending the additional money on one, might as well go for more power.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31323 posts
5538 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
blexann wrote: I'm starting from scratch and was wondering about the differences between the pi and a NUC? any power consumption concerns by using a NUC?
The NUC will definitely use more power than a Pi.

Pi ~15 Watts - Less than 20$ per year to operate. Closer to 7$ per year
NUC ~45 Watts - Less than 60$ per year to operate. Closer to 20$ per year

That assumes that it is running at 100% CPU. The NUC will be idle most of the time and the CPU usage is generally less than 10%. Same goes for the Pi, it rarely goes beyond 15%. Power consumption is negligible.

If you are just running a base system with no add ons and turn off the log and history, the Pi should be fine. If you want a log and history and use add ons, you will need something more powerful. Once you get your feet wet, you will probably run MQTT, NGINX, Let's Encrypt, Pi-Hole etc
Mar 13, 2013
229 posts
75 upvotes
LONDON
while I have a RPI3 B+ at home, I am debating if I should buy a cheap android box based on amlogic S9xx chipset? Currently leaning towards amlogic x912 (oct-core, 3/16GB) for about $45CAD.

any thoughts on RPI vs amlogic (with armbian installed)?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)