• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2020 3:54 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1217 posts
294 upvotes
Gee wrote: @tatung

Here is the code to monitor your Pi or computer running Home Assistant

Put this in your configuration.yaml. I have mine in sensors.yaml to keep it clean

Sorry about the formatting. The quotes doesn't keep the proper formatting
Thanks worked. Now to get LoveLace configured. I still have those ugly circle on the top for all the sensors.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31304 posts
5507 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tatung wrote: Thanks worked. Now to get LoveLace configured. I still have those ugly circle on the top for all the sensors.
Are you using groups? If you're still using states, arrange them into a group and it will display as an card instead of a sensor. Try this code in your groups.yaml
default_view:
name: Home
view: yes
icon: mdi:home-assistant
entities:
- group.Home_Assistant_Status

Home Assistant Status:
entities:
- sensor.uptime
- sensor.memory_use
- sensor.memory_free
- sensor.disk_use_home
- sensor.disk_free_home
- sensor.processor_use
- sensor.memory_use_percent
- sensor.disk_use_percent_home
- sensor.last_boot
To create a group, just give it a title. I called mine Home Assistant Status, then included the entities you want to see. Once that is done, it will create an entity called

group.Home_Assistant_Status

Then just include that into the default view. No more circles. It will be placed in its own card.

I should point out that Lovelace does not support groups in the same manner. When you're ready to move to Lovelace, this will be done completely in Lovelace and groups will not be necessary
Dec 19, 2006
299 posts
16 upvotes
OP, can you list the devices in your system? Are you able to roughly estimate the total cost?

Also, what was your goal from a security perspective? My goal will be security and privacy. I'd probably not use a google home.
Gee wrote: Home Assistant is an automation hub. It's open source, runs locally and maintains your privacy. It will run on a Raspberry Pi, a Virtual Machine, a NAS, Linux, Windows etc. Currently it supports over 1330 components (as of March 24th).

Why would you want this?

1. Control or monitor: lights, appliances, thermostat, alarm system, video cameras, garage doors, people, locks, televisions, door bells
2. Create automation rules
3. Use your cell phone, tablet or voice to control anything even when you're not at home. No need to run apps, works from any browser
4. It is cool (Warning: It is very addictive)

The purpose of this thread is to share automation ideas. Here is a glimpse of my setup

Main Page

0.PNG

Alarm Panel (Not sure why the numbers are so small)

3.PNG

Thermostat

4.PNG

Weather

5.PNG

Sample Automations

7.PNG

I am no expert, but I will be happy to help where I can. My setup is 99% Z-Wave, the only WiFi device I have is the doorbell. Voice is done with Google Home (you can see it on the main screen). It also works with Alexa but I don't own one.

I ran it on a Raspberry Pi 3B initially and moved to a 3B+ when it was released. I currently have it running on a spare Intel NUC. The hub is constantly monitoring the state of each component and I can trigger events based on weather, time, presence, motion.

For example, I can have the lights turn on in the drive way 15 minutes after the sun sets or I can have my garage door close once it detects my car is parked for more than 2 minutes.
Mar 9, 2016
41 posts
11 upvotes
Gee wrote: Have you tried to unpair the plugs from your hub? If you have a Aeotec Z-Stick, push the button till it is flashing yellow. Then exclude the Leviton plgus by turning the lamp on. You should see the lights flash rapidly on the Z-Stick. Then try pairing it again. If you get no feed back, the radio on your plugs are not working.
Yeah, they work for a few days and then go dead again. I might just replace them since I only need 2 dimmable plugs.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1217 posts
294 upvotes
Gee wrote: Are you using groups? If you're still using states, arrange them into a group and it will display as an card instead of a sensor. Try this code in your groups.yaml

To create a group, just give it a title. I called mine Home Assistant Status, then included the entities you want to see. Once that is done, it will create an entity called

group.Home_Assistant_Status

Then just include that into the default view. No more circles. It will be placed in its own card.

I should point out that Lovelace does not support groups in the same manner. When you're ready to move to Lovelace, this will be done completely in Lovelace and groups will not be necessary
Ok I'll try to group those tonight if I have time. I wasn't going to group things knowing that I was eventually going to Lovelace. What do you mean that Lovelace won't use groups? It's all done thru the new UI?
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1217 posts
294 upvotes
Asmegin wrote: I'm currently using HA with an Intel NUC as well.

Here is a recent video of my custom interface:

Awesome. What lights/switches are you using? That seems to be quite responsive.
Mar 9, 2016
41 posts
11 upvotes
sluggy wrote: OP, can you list the devices in your system? Are you able to roughly estimate the total cost?

Also, what was your goal from a security perspective? My goal will be security and privacy. I'd probably not use a google home.
To estimate the total cost is going to be hard since every house is different and the cost will be dependable on how many light switches you do. My favourite light switches are the Homeseer ones which cost about $53 for the regular switch and $59 for dimmable. They have the double tap and triple tap feature which makes it easier to activate other lights/automations in the house.

Ecobee - $300
Schlage Door Locks - $200
Light Switchs - $53
Dimmers - $59
Plugs - $40
Zwave Controller - $65
MYQ Garage Doors

You can easily spend a few thousand dollars, but you can upgrade in stages and not have to do everything at once.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1217 posts
294 upvotes
sluggy wrote: OP, can you list the devices in your system? Are you able to roughly estimate the total cost?

HA is local only so its just as secure as your PC/Laptop/Phone on your home network. Unless you open it up to the internet, via your router or the HA cloud service. I'm using Google home via its local API (and maybe thats what Gee is doing too.) to "cast" text to it for it to say. For example whenever someone is at my door bell my google home can announce that someone is there. So the communication to the Google Home is one way.

Now if you want to use your Google home to access your HA server to turn on a light, script, access status's then you would have to make it available outside your local network. I don't feel the need to open my HA up, as my lights are still controlled via my Wink hub, and other smart home products are wifi and are already controllable via google home. The only thing I would be gaining is access to statues within HA if I were to open it up to the internet.

Price?? It will be at least the price of what you run HA on. And then the price of all the lights, switches, thermostats, doorbells. So really it can be free if you already have smart home products and something to run HA on, and it could be in the $1000 range if you want to outfit your whole home with Hue bulbs and Nest. If you visit this site often you can score some deals on smart home stuff. I've found some great deals on some things, albeit none of my stuff is the latest versions.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30923 posts
16702 upvotes
Ottawa
Lots of good stuff here, but I see more remote access than actual automation?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2950 posts
235 upvotes
What type of automations do people have in their homes?
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1217 posts
294 upvotes
crimsondr wrote: What type of automations do people have in their homes?
Honestly there are endless automation's you can do. I listen to the HA podcast and there is always new ideas I have never thought of before. Some people have their home automated so much they do not need flip any light switches while in their house. There are even bed sensors that can detect if you and your wife have lied down and bed and turns on the lights and turns the alarm on.

I just got into this and the best automation I have setup so far is that when I'm watching a Movie (not TV) after 7 pm in my home theatre the lights in the home theatre turn off when the movie starts, 1 bulb near the stairs turns on at min brightness when the movie is paused, and turn back on again when the movie is done or stopped. And side note with the Logitech Harmony Hub and Plex I can even control everything with Alexa, even selecting the movie.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30923 posts
16702 upvotes
Ottawa
crimsondr wrote: What type of automations do people have in their homes?
I have several, but will list the more complicated ones that needed webCoRE with Samsung ST.
At a certain time (let's call it bedtime)...
-all doors are locked (even if locked)
-garage doors are closed (even if already closed)
-temperature set to desired temp
-all closet lights, hallway lights and basement lights are turned off (even if already off)
-Ring Pro set to detect motion and if positive, front porch light automatically turns on (allows better night recording) and a notification is pushed to my phone

There are thousands of triggers/actions that can be set and I'm trying different things everyday.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2950 posts
235 upvotes
I have several automations.

1. Lock the door if it has been closed and unlocked for 5 minutes. This is useful for me when walking in and out of the house, like when bringing in groceries or getting the kids into the car one by one. The door will remain unlocked as I keep opening and closing the door. Once it's been closed and unlocked for 5 minutes then the auto lock kicks in.
2. Office lights turn on when motion detected and off after 5 minutes of no motion. Manually turning off the light will force the light to remain off for at least 15 minutes before motion triggers it on again. If the printer is on turn it off after 5 minutes of no motion and on for at least 15 minutes (sometimes I work in the dark).
3. Exhaust fans in bathroom automatically turn on when humidity detected. The trigger point is an offset of a control point elsewhere in the house where I consider it the "normal" humidity level which varies throughout the year.
4. Flood sensors in the laundry room and by the water heater. If they detect water a notification is sent to my phone. I was thinking of adding a siren or something in the house but haven't done it yet.
5. All doors are keypad entry only and alert me when a unlocked/locked. If a PIN is used then it tells me who unlocked the door as everyone has a unique PIN.
6. Connected to Alexa and Google Assistant so I can issues commands verbally such as "downstairs off" or "downstairs 50%".

I also have an android tablet mounted on my bedroom wall next to my bed which has a composite indicator that is green if all doors are locked, windows closed, doors closed etc. Also serves as a more convenient light switch for the bedroom. I use imperihome for this and configured dashboards for various uses.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30923 posts
16702 upvotes
Ottawa
crimsondr wrote: I have several automations.

1. Lock the door if it has been closed and unlocked for 5 minutes. This is useful for me when walking in and out of the house, like when bringing in groceries or getting the kids into the car one by one. The door will remain unlocked as I keep opening and closing the door. Once it's been closed and unlocked for 5 minutes then the auto lock kicks in.
2. Office lights turn on when motion detected and off after 5 minutes of no motion. Manually turning off the light will force the light to remain off for at least 15 minutes before motion triggers it on again. If the printer is on turn it off after 5 minutes of no motion and on for at least 15 minutes (sometimes I work in the dark).
3. Exhaust fans in bathroom automatically turn on when humidity detected. The trigger point is an offset of a control point elsewhere in the house where I consider it the "normal" humidity level which varies throughout the year.
4. Flood sensors in the laundry room and by the water heater. If they detect water a notification is sent to my phone. I was thinking of adding a siren or something in the house but haven't done it yet.
5. All doors are keypad entry only and alert me when a unlocked/locked. If a PIN is used then it tells me who unlocked the door as everyone has a unique PIN.
6. Connected to Alexa and Google Assistant so I can issues commands verbally such as "downstairs off" or "downstairs 50%".

I also have an android tablet mounted on my bedroom wall next to my bed which has a composite indicator that is green if all doors are locked, windows closed, doors closed etc. Also serves as a more convenient light switch for the bedroom. I use imperihome for this and configured dashboards for various uses.
I'm planning to add a Dome main water shutoff actuator.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1217 posts
294 upvotes
crimsondr wrote:
Are you using Home Assistant if you use imperihome? Is there a fee with Imperihome?