Home & Garden

Home Automation Using Home Assistant

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2020 3:54 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2951 posts
235 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I'm planning to add a Dome main water shutoff actuator.
That's a good idea. May consider that for the future.
tatung wrote: Are you using Home Assistant if you use imperihome? Is there a fee with Imperihome?
I'm using openhab at the moment.

I also have google calender integration I use to restrict internet access for the kids. ie YouTube, Netflix, Roblox, fortnite, etc are enabled/disabled. More for the scheduling aspect of it.
Sep 30, 2017
54 posts
12 upvotes
- I have water sensors in the bathrooms, basement, laundry etc, as soon as the sensor detects a leak it shuts off the main water valve and sends a notification to me and my wife.
- If my garage has been open for more than 15 minutes it keeps on notifying every 5 minutes.
- Notifies about open doors and locks after 8 pm and auto locks them.
- After me and my both leave home, it locks all the doors (Even if locked) , shuts off the main water valve, and sets the alarm to away mode.
- When me or wife come home it automatically opens up the garage door
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1217 posts
294 upvotes
Which door locks are you guys using?

Aren't you guys afraid of being locked out with your auto lock automation's? Or locking your kids out.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11034 posts
5423 upvotes
Brampton
crimsondr wrote: That's a good idea. May consider that for the future.

I'm using openhab at the moment.

I also have google calender integration I use to restrict internet access for the kids. ie YouTube, Netflix, Roblox, fortnite, etc are enabled/disabled. More for the scheduling aspect of it.
Have you looked at Habpanel?

A home dashboard is next on my list of things to do.

I also like the integration with DSC. So I know when areas of the house have been accessed or set the AC to eco if a window or door has been opened for 10 mins.

Integration for Geofencing thru iOS to lock and set alarms.

I like OpenHab and HASS because it allows you to mishmash cheap but quality pieces together and not lock in to a closed ecosystem.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8124 posts
2381 upvotes
Subscribed. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19194 posts
2416 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Cool thread. I'm really enjoying playing with HA. Haven't done too much tweaking but the ultimate goal is to get a tablet in the living room on the wall for some control and use HA to automate a bunch of things. This is my current basic setup.

edit: sorry about the layout below, that is not how it looks when I do a preview.
Main.png

Each of glances are setup with a custom popup. If you click on me or my wife's icon you get Openmap location of where that person is. The label below our badges also changes if either of us are in a know location (grocery store, work, parents house, daycare, etc).
Ricahrd.png

My sons badge opens the webcam we have in his room.
Connor.png

The thermostat opens the control for our Nest
nest2.png

Then I have our front door cam, this is updated every 5 seconds unless you click on the image and then its live.

Right now I only have 3 plugs setup and two Lutron Caseta switches.

Just got my sonoff switch in the mail so I can turn my garage door into a 'smart' garage door opener. Sensors should be in tomorrow so I'll know when the door is open or closed. (I've left my garage door open over night probably about 7 times in the last year. Need to wait on the USB to serial adapter though so I can flash the switch.

Other than that, I'll just keep adding as I replace light switches. Much of my house is aluminum wiring so I have to wait till I get around to re-wiring. Not enough space for the proper pigtails and caseta switches I don't think.

Ultimately I think I'd like to copy how this guy has done his tablet, but I'm not positive yet.
copy.png

I also have my harmony hub connected to HA, so I'll be playing with when everyone is out of the house, make sure all the lights are off and the TV is off as well.
Last edited by Evil Baby on Mar 26th, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8124 posts
2381 upvotes
right off the bat....is a NUC overkill for this kind of set-up? how does one decide NUC vs pi vs ?
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19194 posts
2416 upvotes
Niagara Falls
blexann wrote: right off the bat....is a NUC overkill for this kind of set-up? how does one decide NUC vs pi vs ?
I think it would depend on how many automations and how many devices you have setup. With my simple setup the pi was more than powerful enough. I ended up running in a VM instead just because I have the spare cpu/ram and I can use my pi elsewhere, but with my pi interactions with the Lovelace UI were instantaneous.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1217 posts
294 upvotes
Wow! I really have to get Lovelace going.

What cameras do you have for front door and baby monitor? What exact items did you order for your garage door? Also what are you using for presence detection on your phone?
Last edited by tatung on Mar 26th, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30957 posts
16725 upvotes
Ottawa
blexann wrote: Subscribed. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
+1, this is the stuff I was looking to read.
@repatch needs to join the convo, as his HA is at the next level.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11034 posts
5423 upvotes
Brampton
blexann wrote: right off the bat....is a NUC overkill for this kind of set-up? how does one decide NUC vs pi vs ?
The largest functional difference is the ability to use a real storage solution when using PC based hardware vs a Rpi.

An Rpi is more than powerful enough from a CPU perspective. RAM maybe lacking depending on your graphing and charting and logging and that depends on your integrations and data/sensor feeds.

If you want to log granular historic data. That'll kill most MicroSDs in a couple months tops. You could move it to another PC but at that point you might as well put it in to a NUC or in to a VM.

Personally I use a RPi3b+ with a USB MSata convertor and MSATA SSD. This is for power reasons as I want everything to sleep as much as possible and use the pi to power everything back up (turn on smart power bars or wake the server with WOL)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19194 posts
2416 upvotes
Niagara Falls
tatung wrote: Wow! I really have to get Lovelace going.

What cameras do you have for front door and baby monitor? What exact items did you order for your garage door? Also what are you using for presence detection on your phone?
For camera's my kids room I have a Foscam FI8918W that I ordered in 2015
For my front door I'm using Xiaomi Xiaofang with the defang hack.

For the garage door I'll be following this guide or a similar one. There are a bunch out there that are all very similar. This is cheapest method but will be the most risky because of the work I have to do to the sonoff relay.

I ordered this sonoff switch and this sensor. You can find cheaper sensors but I needed the additional wire and I think you can actually get the sensor from Sonoff cheaper but I was impatient and wanted Prime.

Then I realized I needed a way to flash the custom firmware on the sonoff switch so I ordered this.

There are lots of videos out there that will help with process, but it's certainly not for everyone. All of these things can be had for cheaper if you're willing to wait for shipping from China, I wasn't.

For presence detection, I'm sharing my location with a Google account I created so I can share my location with it. If you're only concerned with Home/Away status it's super easy to get that data from your Router. For most routers that's already build into Home Assistant.

For example, this returns all of the devices attached to my router and is updated every few seconds.

- platform: netgear
host: 192.168.1.1
port: 80
username: !secret Router_username
password: !secret Router_password
new_device_defaults:
track_new_devices: true
hide_if_away: false
Sep 23, 2006
824 posts
116 upvotes
I use an Ecobee with HA but disabled all the smart features. I then re-created the more important ones in HA so I could leverage my non-Ecobee temp/motion sensors and my smart vents. I also use Node Red for all my automations.

1. I created a UI page to easily change settings (work in progress). I added settings for each day as a sort of DIY scheduler (input_booleans for each day)

2. I created house modes in HA (input_select). It uses things like times (input_datetimes) and motion to change house modes:

3. Calculate average temperature of occupied rooms (based on motion in last X amount of minutes)

4. Calculate difference between desired temperate and average occupied rooms temperature. Then I change Ecobee setpoint based on the results.

5. Adjust vents based on room temperature:
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19194 posts
2416 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Asmegin wrote: I use an Ecobee with HA but disabled all the smart features. I then re-created the more important ones in HA so I could leverage my non-Ecobee temp/motion sensors and my smart vents. I also use Node Red for all my automations.
Looks amazing, but you need to find a way to line up sliders in the Auto Vent section unless you're the kind of person that likes that kind of chaos.
5. Adjust vents based on room temperature:
Which vents are you using? I've seen a couple on Bestbuy but they're so damn expensive. I would love to do this but my hobby hasn't taken over that much yet :). I'd also like to sync up smart blinds and perhaps even Windows if possible so they could open/close depending on the breeze and weather.