[Home Depot] 5 tool Dewalt combo kit dck590l2

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2018 8:54 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1693 posts
868 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Isn't the Ridgid Gen5X 5 piece kit better than this Dewaldt kit? It comes with a regular sized circular saw (7 1/4) instead of the smaller 6 1/2. Also Ridgid has a lifetime warranty.

It's $497 at regular price, not sure what kind of discounts we can expect when it goes on sale.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.gen5 ... 37744.html
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1938 posts
1042 upvotes
Milton
BeapChastard wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 8:31 pm
Isn't the Ridgid Gen5X 5 piece kit better than this Dewaldt kit? It comes with a regular sized circular saw (7 1/4) instead of the smaller 6 1/2. Also Ridgid has a lifetime warranty.

It's $497 at regular price, not sure what kind of discounts we can expect when it goes on sale.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.gen5 ... 37744.html
I own both, I love both sets.

But Dewalt has an edge over Ridgid in terms of quality and reliability without any doubt.

I will always buy my ridgids for the lifetime warranty.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Feb 25, 2010
418 posts
396 upvotes
HALIFAX
So this is still $499 at https://www.blackrocktools.com/dewalt-2 ... 590l2.html

It's an online store, so you can still pricematch this with HD and get the free cutoff tool until May 2.

Since another user here said they offer $150 tax in as a return value for the cut off tool (the one tool i probably don't need from this set) that would make the total price for this set around $423.85 Taxes in.

I'm pretty tempted.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1693 posts
868 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Does HD's website allow pricematching when ordering online or can you only pricematch in store?
Feb 25, 2010
418 posts
396 upvotes
HALIFAX
If your saying you'd prefer to have the argument about whether or not you get the cutoff tool with the price match over the phone than face to face, I hear you.

I am RIGHT on the edge of buying this. I just kind of wish they had it for a combo minus the reciprocating saw.

I don't see a 20v 3A batter driving a recip the way I would expect it to. My corded Dewalt still requires a good deal of muscle to power through some materials. Can anyone speak to the difference first hand? I would love one less extension cord lying around my work area for sure, but if this can't keep the pace, what's the point?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17186 posts
2062 upvotes
Langley
I have the Dewalt 20v compact recip and a corded Mastercraft one. I don't think they perform much differently. The lighter weight of the compact Dewalt means it vibrates more. I'm sure a corded Dewalt is better than my MC saw, but I never use the corded one anymore. Can't beat the convenince. I use mine to clean up small trees and branches in my yard.

The battery capacity dictates how long it will run for, not how powerful it is, so 3ah batteries are fine. They recharge in 30 minutes or less. And once you've bought into the system, you'll add other tools that come with more batteries. I'm up to 6 batteries and 3 chargers since I've found a few more tools where the kits on sale weren't much more than the bare tools.
Feb 25, 2010
418 posts
396 upvotes
HALIFAX
Welp, I guess I'll send the kids to bed early. Mommy's about to yell at Daddy for buying $430 in new tools!
i6s1 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 12:33 pm
I have the Dewalt 20v compact recip and a corded Mastercraft one. I don't think they perform much differently. The lighter weight of the compact Dewalt means it vibrates more. I'm sure a corded Dewalt is better than my MC saw, but I never use the corded one anymore. Can't beat the convenince. I use mine to clean up small trees and branches in my yard.

The battery capacity dictates how long it will run for, not how powerful it is, so 3ah batteries are fine. They recharge in 30 minutes or less. And once you've bought into the system, you'll add other tools that come with more batteries. I'm up to 6 batteries and 3 chargers since I've found a few more tools where the kits on sale weren't much more than the bare tools.
Feb 25, 2010
418 posts
396 upvotes
HALIFAX
So I tried to get the free tool+pricematch with amazon.ca (which is back down to $499 by the way) with an online person and they wouldn't do it.

I made the purchase online at full price anyway with the free tool (because ebates) and I'll try and get the price adjusted when I pick-up...hopefully. if not I'll slink back in to the bushes and wait for another deal
Feb 25, 2010
418 posts
396 upvotes
HALIFAX
Update:

Tried to order online and get free tool/price match for an instore pickup - DENIED
Ordered it online anyway at full price with the free tool and tried to get the price match at the counter - DENIED
Went to another store and just picked up the items and brought them to the counter -SUCCESS

The only weird thing was the guy gave me the oscillating tool instead of the cut off tool.. I thought the cut off tool was the mandatory freebie. I see now that you can get extra batteries if you wanted too. Details are here.

So now it adds up like this:

885911314060 Dewalt <A> 179.00
MAX REFUND VALUE $131.81
885911229081 DeWalt <A> 649.00
RSN: 6 NEW AMT 499.99 MKDN -149.01
MAX REFUND VALUE $368.18
Dewalt Free Your Choice -179.00

SUBTOTAL 499.99
GST/HST 75.00
TOTAL $574.99

I had originally planned to just return the cut off tool because it's a tool I very rarely use (which would be a bit over $150 tax in) and bring my total down to $424 tax in) , but I use my oscillating tool all the time and my mastercraft, which has been a workhorse for years is probably due for replacement.

Frigging RFD. This is more than I wanted to spend.