Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Atticat Fibreglass Attic Insulation + Pink FibreGlass - Buy 4 Get 1 Free

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2016 1:42 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4648 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA

[Home Depot] Atticat Fibreglass Attic Insulation + Pink FibreGlass - Buy 4 Get 1 Free

Home Depot has this sale going on again for the atticat fibreglass attic insulation (BLOW IN) and also OWEN's Corning Pink FibreGlass Ecotouch

I can only speak for the blow - in as I did it a year ago and what a DIFFERENCE...@ 43.24/bag but buy 4 get 1 bag free. Makes it a decent deal.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/value- ... ulation-en

and

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.atti ... 64361.html

You might need to rent the machine for blow - in (I did this in 4 hrs and it was $40-50 bucks if i recall).
50 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Really need to consider this. The insulation in my attic is probably original, from 1972.

Is this the best value to upgrade and lower my heating bills?
Feb 2, 2012
48 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
Your best value would be checking the insulation on the attic hatch/access and adding a bit of weatherstripping so it seals tightly.

After you have done that, I would say this is a great idea.

Blow in a few extra inches while you have the machine rented. It settles a bit over time and I don't think I have ever heard someone say they have too much insulation in their attic.

My $0.02.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
2054 posts
3040 upvotes
Airdrie
Thanks need to insulate my garage. That lowes stuff is a great deal, does anyone know how it compares to the pink panther stuff?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4648 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA
Bisons wrote: Really need to consider this. The insulation in my attic is probably original, from 1972.

Is this the best value to upgrade and lower my heating bills?
If your insulation from your attic is that old you might want to get up there to see how much of it has settled. Just take a tape measure at the hatch and do a depth check (10 seconds) and make sure it's even throughout the attic.

I've found that it's lowered my heating and also my cooling bills.
Feb 8, 2011
665 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
A little too soon for me, I just bought rafter baffles and was planning to get that done this weekend.
Wonder if I should grab this now and then wait till I can blow it in.
Anyone have a calculator so I can check how much I need?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
mcwilly wrote: Thanks need to insulate my garage. That lowes stuff is a great deal, does anyone know how it compares to the pink panther stuff?
I did it last year, I installed extra drywall and put about an inch in between, filled the gap between drywall with insulated foam. and a month ago changed the garage doors with insulated one R-value 13
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1576 posts
697 upvotes
CommonCentz wrote: Blow in a few extra inches while you have the machine rented. It settles a bit over time and I don't think I have ever heard someone say they have too much insulation in their attic.

My $0.02.
Very true as you can never have too much R value. But in fact I did say at my old house that I had too much insulation.... I'm always finding some reason to go up in my attic (usually to fish wires).... having an equivalent R50 up there made it really difficult (and ITCHY!) to move around. So anyone debating adding contemplating adding attic insulation, try to get all your wiring projects done first!
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Over past few years have seen threads about diy attic insulation [fibreglass vs cellulose] vs hiring someone.

Seems it was at least $300 savings for diy.

Has anyone done recently for approx 1250 sq ft either diy or hiring someone.

For couple hundred dollars savings rather hire someone however if more then that then hmm...

Also, any issue with topping off existing blown in fibreglass with cellulose or better to stay with fibreglass?
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
k1ll4hb33 wrote: [...]Wonder if I should grab this now and then wait till I can blow it in.
You should be able to buy the insulation now, while it is on sale, and rent the blower two weeks later to blow it in (the blower rental fee will be the same).
As for a calculator, here is the official one from the manufacturer:
http://insulation.owenscorning.ca/homeo ... =loosefill
Apr 25, 2007
144 posts
39 upvotes
Markham, Canada
what is the best insulation for the basement for Sound blocking (Home depot or Lowe's) please
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1576 posts
697 upvotes
shoaibahmed wrote: what is the best insulation for the basement for Sound blocking (Home depot or Lowe's) please
Roxul Safe-n-Sound.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Bisons wrote: Is this the best value to upgrade and lower my heating bills?
Yes, that and fixing any big air draft in the house.
Adding insulation to the attic is very cheap and easy, especially if you use the blown in machine. Fiberglass and cellulose are the cheapest type of insulation and there is little use for anything else than fiberglass or cellulose in the attic.
k1ll4hb33 wrote: Anyone have a calculator so I can check how much I need?
The R rating is typically directly correlated to the thickness applied. So a 100 square feet of R20 fiberglass has the same amount of fiberglass required to cover 50 square feet of R40, which is the same thing as covering 25 square feet of R80, or 200 square feet of R10.
We can't see the image on homedepot.ca, but we can see it better on this image
Based on that image, the bag can cover 110 sqft @ R20 (To keep numbers round).
Now, if you have a 1100sqft attic and want R60, you'll need to do a simple calculation: 1100sqft / 110sqft) X (R60/R20)
Feb 8, 2011
665 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
alkizmo wrote:
Bisons wrote: Is this the best value to upgrade and lower my heating bills?
Yes, that and fixing any big air draft in the house.
Adding insulation to the attic is very cheap and easy, especially if you use the blown in machine. Fiberglass and cellulose are the cheapest type of insulation and there is little use for anything else than fiberglass or cellulose in the attic.
k1ll4hb33 wrote: Anyone have a calculator so I can check how much I need?
The R rating is typically directly correlated to the thickness applied. So a 100 square feet of R20 fiberglass has the same amount of fiberglass required to cover 50 square feet of R40, which is the same thing as covering 25 square feet of R80, or 200 square feet of R10.
We can't see the image on homedepot.ca, but we can see it better on this image
Based on that image, the bag can cover 110 sqft @ R20 (To keep numbers round).
Now, if you have a 1100sqft attic and want R60, you'll need to do a simple calculation: 1100sqft / 110sqft) X (R60/R20)
Gracias senior, that's exactly how much I need so will do the math
ahoroba wrote:
k1ll4hb33 wrote: [...]Wonder if I should grab this now and then wait till I can blow it in.
You should be able to buy the insulation now, while it is on sale, and rent the blower two weeks later to blow it in (the blower rental fee will be the same).
Thank you. Blower rental is usually free with purchase so was curious if I was missing out on that.
Last edited by k1ll4hb33 on Oct 14th, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1232 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
Anyone have any knowledge of the difference between Owens Corning and Certainteed blown in insulation? The Certainteed is a lot cheaper per 30lb bag ($24 vs $35 after discounts), but I'm not sure if there are any quality or coverage differences between the two.
Jul 29, 2012
101 posts
27 upvotes
I've got fiberglass bats in my garage attic, is there any issue with blowing in cellulose on top of it? Or should I remove the fiberglass first? I'm planning on topping up the cellulose in my house attic and it'd be great to tackle both at the same time.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
ahoroba wrote:
Unless calculated wrong it seems would need about 28 bags [not incl free bags that would use] which is about $1,200 and machine should be free.

Friend got quote of $2,100 for 2,000+ sq ft attic for cellulose top up [already has about R30 fibreglass] plus spray foam a small area.

Suggest folks do the calcs to see if worthwhile to diy... might be in many cases but not all.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
House is from late 60's, original insulation I believe, looks like last owners added some new insulation. Question is should I vacuum out old and blow in fresh new?

Or just pile on top?

Sorry for such noob question.