Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Battery Tender JR, 750 ma, 12 V - $17 @ Home Depot (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 4:09 pm
May 28, 2007
141 posts
75 upvotes
CALGARY
dantey wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 12:53 pm
Not to deflate the hot deal, but it looks like just a power adapter that provides 12V 750mA constant power.
For the true RFD's, I wonder if you can just frankenstein an unused power adapter with the same power output 12V 0.5-1A to do the job.
you probably could, but it take a fair bit of frankenstein work.
first, you need to supply more than 12V to charge a 12V battery. More preciousely, you need about 14V.
second, you need a current regulator, otherwise your power adaptor would fry itself in a minute or less.
3rd, (not necessary) for the 'smart' charger feature, you need automatic cut off when battery reaches desired charge, top up every few days, and cycle the battery every week or two.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
1403 posts
524 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:29 pm
Simple float chargers are basically A/C adapters at 12V DC but to charge or maintain a car battery without causing long term damage is the problem. Car batteries like to be charged in the range of 14V to 14.4V - anything lower won't do much except for maintaining a charge and anything higher, you risk causing the battery to off gas reducing the levels of the electrolyte which could permanently damage the battery if you don't remember to top off the battery.

And on the A/C adapter side, most of them aren't regulated very well so you could get over or under voltage situations very easily.
I will market the unregulated voltage as a "de-sulphation" feature. =)
Going to put to use some unloved adapters to use.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
1403 posts
524 upvotes
milkmilk wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:35 pm
you probably could, but it take a fair bit of frankenstein work.
first, you need to supply more than 12V to charge a 12V battery. More preciousely, you need about 14V.
second, you need a current regulator, otherwise your power adaptor would fry itself in a minute or less.
3rd, (not necessary) for the 'smart' charger feature, you need automatic cut off when battery reaches desired charge, top up every few days, and cycle the battery every week or two.
But what's different between the battery tender jr and a regular 12V adapter?
May 28, 2007
141 posts
75 upvotes
CALGARY
dantey wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:45 pm
But what's different between the battery tender jr and a regular 12V adapter?
it's all 3 point I listed.
it supplies 14.4V (with current limiter) when charging. automatic drops to 13.2V for charge maintenance. automatically resumes charge when battery voltage drop below certain points

a 'full' car battery is around 14V. it is considered 'empty' when 50% discharged and has voltage of 12V. A 12V adaptor supplying 12V will just hold the battery in the empty state and prevent it from going fully dead.

12Vdc@750mA is just a power specification. It isn't the only voltage/current it supplies.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8104 posts
2598 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
milkmilk wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:57 pm

12Vdc@750mA is just a power specification. It isn't the only voltage/current it supplies.
Also marketing... it's easier to sell a 12V charger for a 12V battery!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
1403 posts
524 upvotes
milkmilk wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:57 pm
it's all 3 point I listed.
it supplies 14.4V (with current limiter) when charging. automatic drops to 13.2V for charge maintenance. automatically resumes charge when battery voltage drop below certain points

a 'full' car battery is around 14V. it is considered 'empty' when 50% discharged and has voltage of 12V. A 12V adaptor supplying 12V will just hold the battery in the empty state and prevent it from going fully dead.

my bad, thanks for pointing that out. i didn't visit the website to view specs.
it even has a four stage charging. i confirm the hot deal! now, where can i get one? =)
Nov 17, 2014
243 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just got one at the Bristol Circle location in Oakville (Border of oakville and mississauga)

They have 2 left, on the clearance desk in the tools section but priced at 29.99

I showed the very nice cash lead this thread and she agreed to price match for me after not being able to find the price on chatham store's website - saying normally this wouldnt be allowed, so YMMV
Oct 15, 2016
163 posts
199 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:25 pm
'It clicks instead of cranks' isn't zero for the battery...
Yes, that's exactly what I said.
Revival from zero is possible
Not with this device.
As far as the definition of full is concerned, I'm just going by what you posted... BTW. 1/4 of a battery's capacity is no-one's definition of FULL.
Most people's working definition of a full car battery doesn't involve getting out the multimeter. They use the same definition I did: crank at normal speed for reasonable time = full.

And that quarter charge is a quarter of new capacity. A 3 year old "45 Ah" battery might hold only half that:

Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8104 posts
2598 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
redbag wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 4:30 pm
Most people's working definition of a full car battery doesn't involve getting out the multimeter. They use the same definition I did: crank at normal speed for reasonable time = full.

And that quarter charge is a quarter of new capacity. A 3 year old "45 Ah" battery might hold only half that:

Now you are just trying to justify what you said. No-one, and I mean no-one, thinks that a battery that 'works' is FULL. FULL does not equal works. It's like saying that there is gas in the tank and the engine doesn't stall out so the gas tank must be full which isn't the case.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2014
1118 posts
1611 upvotes
Alberta, AB
Was anyone able to find them in Calgary?
Pro tip - If you can't stop thinking about it ....BUY IT !
Deal Expert
Jul 13, 2008
15584 posts
1367 upvotes
Markham/Hamilton
This is a hot deal. I picked up one of these for my motorcycle back in October for $40 tax in and it's been working great.
May 30, 2015
193 posts
84 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:10 pm
Another Home Depot yellow tag clearance deal.

Chatham store has the Battery Tender JR 12V, 750 mA battery maintainer, on sale for $17, normally $50.
Amazon and Canadian Tire have them for around $50 regular as well.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/batte ... 1940p.html
These are great for motorcycles, lawnmowers, marine batteries, atvs, even car batteries, that will be stored over time, keeps the battery charge topped up, then shuts down and periodically checks to see if a trickle charge is needed again.
A definite steal at $17, I didn't pick one up, as I am already using one of the Mastercraft Eliminator ones, but this is a smaller unit, simple plug and play. Comes with the clamps, and ring attachments. The rings are nice, as you can leave them connected at all times to your battery terminals, and during the riding season, unplug and tuck the cable away, not having to remove the rings from the battery at all.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.juni ... 46237.html
SKU is 1000846237 (thanks CMAG for pointing it out)

Hello,

Thank you for posting this.
I was trying to understand the label and maybe find an explanation for $17 price.

- I noticed that right at the top of the yellow price tag it says "THIS ITEM ONLY". Also, from the whole picture, it seems that the item was indeed the only one in that shelf (no other items can be seen behind it).
- Immediately under that, you can see "REDUCED" (on yellow fonts against black background). I was wondering if that could indicate something about the condition of the item (maybe returned or/and damaged).
- It does not say "CLEARANCE".
- In the bottom of the tag, below the black horizontal line, you can see the section titled "Cashier instructions".
- And in that section there are some details too:
- It says Qty: 1 (which, to me, it suggests that it will only apply to this item).
- Then, on the bottom part, it says "Discount to be taken at register 2" (I would understand from this that this item is supposed to be treated separately and the people at register 2 were instructed on how to process this).
- And then there is this lower right corner of the tag which says "Reason Code" and something below that, possible written by hand with black marker. It is not easy to read that detail given the resolution of the picture, but it looks to me that the word written there is "DAMAGED".

Considering all these details, I am not sure if a Price Match at another Home Depot store it is even possible.

Also, it is unclear in this case what "DAMAGED" means.
Does it mean only that the box was opened (maybe because someone returned the item)?
Does it mean that there are other damages that are not visible in the picture? Parts missing?

The price is quite good, but there are so many unknowns.

Thx
Oct 15, 2016
163 posts
199 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 4:40 pm
Now you are just trying to justify what you said. No-one, and I mean no-one, thinks that a battery that 'works' is FULL. FULL does not equal works. It's like saying that there is gas in the tank and the engine doesn't stall out so the gas tank must be full which isn't the case.
If starting the car also refilled the gas tank then, yes, I think people would often refer to a less-than-full tank as full. When someone at the dinner table says they're full, do you also scoff at them and get out the calipers?

There's an important difference between a car battery and, say, a phone battery or gas tank. The way people actually use car batteries -- starting a car which will then charge the battery -- lends itself to a loose definition of the word "full." Because, for practical purposes, many levels of charge are the same thing as a full charge. Just like how I can say I'm full even when my stomach might still be several liters away from rupture.
May 28, 2007
141 posts
75 upvotes
CALGARY
I have had two oem batteries that lasted 10+ years, both cranks without hesitation even when cold cranking at -35C.
So, I never understood the need for a booster and/or charger unless you have seasonal batteries to maintain.

That is until recent years.
The batteries that came with my new car died in 2 years. Costco batteries died in 2 months (in a different car). And a few other occasions of not being able to start the car due to battery problem gave me the incentive to purchase chargers and boosters.

Battery quality's sure not what it used to be.
May 3, 2008
461 posts
140 upvotes
Markham
Its a steal if you can find it for $17. Never saw it below $30 (bot mine 5 years ago and paid $40) One of the most durable top-up charger. Amperage not enough to charge a battery from empty given 750ma, but strong enough to top up even regular sized car (think its advertised as for motorcycle but works fine on both of my cars.)