Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Battery Tender JR, 750 ma, 12 V - $17 @ Home Depot (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 3:47 pm
May 30, 2015
187 posts
84 upvotes
- It looks like life just wanted to show me that things happen even when you don't think that there are too many chances.

- One very nice guy from HD Customer Service (I don't want to mention the location since I don't want him to have any issues) sold me the Battery Tender Junior for $17.

- The picture from the OP first post helped a lot, although I still believe that it was a special case.

- I first called that location last night and I spoke with a lady. I told her that someone saw the item at $17 in Chatham and I said that I can show her a picture on my phone (I already had the picture saved on the phone at that time). To my surprise, she said that she does not necessary need to see the picture and that I can come in the morning (i.e. today) as she was putting one on hold for me. She took my name.

- This morning she was not in the store when I arrived.
- I asked one guy where can I find the battery chargers and he showed me the shelf.
- The item had a yellow price tag but for $40.
- Eventually, I went back to Customer Service and then I started talking with this super nice guy who came with me at the shelf. Then, in that conversation (the first HD guy was also in that area) they saw that the item was on sale/clearance and then they looked at the picture on my phone. It was at this point, when this nice guy said something like "we can do a price close to that, like $20). I said "OK, great! Thank you." and then they kind of concluded among themselves that they can match $17.
- Very unexpected but I am glad for my first ever device for battery maintenance. My car is now 8 years old and I think that it still has the OEM battery. I noticed that, when it was very cold, the battery was showing some signs of weakness but it was still starting with no problems.

Thx
Oct 9, 2006
43 posts
5 upvotes
Winnipeg
They price matched me 2 in Winnipeg by just showing picture from OP.

BIG THANKS.....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
7431 posts
2258 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
milkmilk wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:22 pm
I have had two oem batteries that lasted 10+ years, both cranks without hesitation even when cold cranking at -35C.
So, I never understood the need for a booster and/or charger unless you have seasonal batteries to maintain.

That is until recent years.
The batteries that came with my new car died in 2 years. Costco batteries died in 2 months (in a different car). And a few other occasions of not being able to start the car due to battery problem gave me the incentive to purchase chargers and boosters.

Battery quality's sure not what it used to be.
Try looking at this issue from a different direction... How about it's not the battery but the car? There are a lot of reports out there that in a effort to save gas, cars aren't charging batteries as much as they used to and that's bad for batteries as lead acid batteries like to be full (and I mean fully charged unlike some other definitions). If they aren't full, the battery will start sulphating and that's bad for battery capacity and starting ability.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9678 posts
1775 upvotes
pishta wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 10:05 pm
Hello,

Thank you for posting this.
I was trying to understand the label and maybe find an explanation for $17 price.

- I noticed that right at the top of the yellow price tag it says "THIS ITEM ONLY". Also, from the whole picture, it seems that the item was indeed the only one in that shelf (no other items can be seen behind it).
- Immediately under that, you can see "REDUCED" (on yellow fonts against black background). I was wondering if that could indicate something about the condition of the item (maybe returned or/and damaged).
- It does not say "CLEARANCE".
- In the bottom of the tag, below the black horizontal line, you can see the section titled "Cashier instructions".
- And in that section there are some details too:
- It says Qty: 1 (which, to me, it suggests that it will only apply to this item).
- Then, on the bottom part, it says "Discount to be taken at register 2" (I would understand from this that this item is supposed to be treated separately and the people at register 2 were instructed on how to process this).
- And then there is this lower right corner of the tag which says "Reason Code" and something below that, possible written by hand with black marker. It is not easy to read that detail given the resolution of the picture, but it looks to me that the word written there is "DAMAGED".

Considering all these details, I am not sure if a Price Match at another Home Depot store it is even possible.

Also, it is unclear in this case what "DAMAGED" means.
Does it mean only that the box was opened (maybe because someone returned the item)?
Does it mean that there are other damages that are not visible in the picture? Parts missing?

The price is quite good, but there are so many unknowns.

Thx
Not sure if you are new to HD Clearance tags. They mark all older or out of season items as "Damaged" for the reason code. I can show you a clearance tag for Sponges, still in the package, numerous packages, with the same clearance reason.
They all say "THIS ITEM ONLY" and have a description of the product, so that people can't tag that yellow tag and put it on something else (HD clearance tags peel really easy, the cashiers have to peel them off and keep them for their till), and when you go to the till, sometimes, the price that rings up is actually different than the regular price that shows on the tag. Most clearance has to be manually reduced to the final clearance price, at least that has been the case in the HD's I have gone to.
There were 4 on the shelf in fact. If you look through the KEYHOLE cutout on the picture, you can see the plastic from the one behind it.
The quantity is because sometimes, there are clearance items, that are a bundle, so that would indicate the items in the bundle.
No need to over analyze it, as you can see, you tried and successfully pm'd anyhow, plus someone else in this THREAD had stated that they picked one up at the same price in a store no where near Chatham (Not pm'd, it was clearance priced for the same).
Most of the clearance tags in our store are done this way. Except for the bulk ones, like shown in this thread
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/home-de ... y-2169120/

We have shelf tags similar to this too, but manager clearouts, where the tag goes right on the item and not a shelf, are usually done this way in the stores I've been to.

Anyhow, can attest, nothing was missing, all packages were sealed. All 4 packages had the same tag. HD Clearance for the most part is YMMV, if there is damage or it has been used, or parts are missing, the tag will indicate that.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
May 30, 2015
187 posts
84 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 2:37 pm
Not sure if you are new to HD Clearance tags. They mark all older or out of season items as "Damaged" for the reason code. I can show you a clearance tag for Sponges, still in the package, numerous packages, with the same clearance reason.
They all say "THIS ITEM ONLY" and have a description of the product, so that people can't tag that yellow tag and put it on something else (HD clearance tags peel really easy, the cashiers have to peel them off and keep them for their till), and when you go to the till, sometimes, the price that rings up is actually different than the regular price that shows on the tag. Most clearance has to be manually reduced to the final clearance price, at least that has been the case in the HD's I have gone to.
There were 4 on the shelf in fact. If you look through the KEYHOLE cutout on the picture, you can see the plastic from the one behind it.
The quantity is because sometimes, there are clearance items, that are a bundle, so that would indicate the items in the bundle.
No need to over analyze it, as you can see, you tried and successfully pm'd anyhow, plus someone else in this THREAD had stated that they picked one up at the same price in a store no where near Chatham (Not pm'd, it was clearance priced for the same).
Most of the clearance tags in our store are done this way. Except for the bulk ones, like shown in this thread
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/home-de ... y-2169120/

We have shelf tags similar to this too, but manager clearouts, where the tag goes right on the item and not a shelf, are usually done this way in the stores I've been to.

Anyhow, can attest, nothing was missing, all packages were sealed. All 4 packages had the same tag. HD Clearance for the most part is YMMV, if there is damage or it has been used, or parts are missing, the tag will indicate that.

- Thank you so much for the information that you posted.
- Obviously, I had nowhere near that kind of knowledge.
- I felt very happy that they price matched. It was one of those moments seen in the TV commercial with the woman leaving the store with her shopping bags and screaming to her husband "Start the car!" assuming that they need to clear the area before the store discovers that they made a mistake.
- I was also surprised how much flexibility they have to just drop the price (in my case from $40 to $17). I can only assume that this is only because they have some policy to clear the shelves of the "clearance" items as soon as possible.
- This morning, I stopped at another location first, but there I got a woman with a firm stand saying that their price is $49.99 and they cannot adjust it because it is an "active item". She also said that the stores with the lower prices they must have the item on "clearance" as opposed to "active". Anyway, I did not argue with her, just said "Thank you." and drove to the next store, and I am glad I did.
- RFD is great to learn all these details but it also depends on what kind of person you encounter at the store.

Thank you again for your insights into this system.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7344 posts
1030 upvotes
Winnipeg
craftsman wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 2:20 pm
Try looking at this issue from a different direction... How about it's not the battery but the car? There are a lot of reports out there that in a effort to save gas, cars aren't charging batteries as much as they used to and that's bad for batteries as lead acid batteries like to be full (and I mean fully charged unlike some other definitions). If they aren't full, the battery will start sulphating and that's bad for battery capacity and starting ability.
But not if its occuring across vehicles/age. Plus lets consider that more often than not. No one buys a new battery from say costco for a brand new vehicle it would be under manufacturer warranty anyway.

They are probably, more often than not, buying batteries that have died for older vehicles without any current change in eco practices that "brandnew" may implement.

Bad reputations and concerns come from volume returns. I know from one rep of a oem brand to part stores. That a past bad production resulted in volumes of returns with no indication of vehicle or use.

Damm for 17 i wished I could have found a couple even three. These are so reliable. I have used one over winters for storage for years..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9678 posts
1775 upvotes
pishta wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:16 pm
- Thank you so much for the information that you posted.
- Obviously, I had nowhere near that kind of knowledge.
- I felt very happy that they price matched. It was one of those moments seen in the TV commercial with the woman leaving the store with her shopping bags and screaming to her husband "Start the car!" assuming that they need to clear the area before the store discovers that they made a mistake.
- I was also surprised how much flexibility they have to just drop the price (in my case from $40 to $17). I can only assume that this is only because they have some policy to clear the shelves of the "clearance" items as soon as possible.
- This morning, I stopped at another location first, but there I got a woman with a firm stand saying that their price is $49.99 and they cannot adjust it because it is an "active item". She also said that the stores with the lower prices they must have the item on "clearance" as opposed to "active". Anyway, I did not argue with her, just said "Thank you." and drove to the next store, and I am glad I did.
- RFD is great to learn all these details but it also depends on what kind of person you encounter at the store.

Thank you again for your insights into this system.
Every store manager has some leeway, probably lots. I bought a flashlight a couple of weeks ago. It was on clearance for $10. Went out a few days later,they were down to $6. When I went to return the $10 one, I asked what the price was now, since it had been a couple of weeks, she said $10... I said that they had been on clearance for $6 and now were gone, and she told me it was a manager's special to get rid of stock and since it was now gone, it went back to the Provincial or territory clearance price. Messed up system, great if you can get the deals, but you'll never know if you're getting the best price.
At Christmas time, the christmas stuff here was marked down, pretty low... went to Windsor one day, their prices were the same, but an employee there said, take the lowest price and it's another 50% off of that, their manager wanted it all gone.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
May 28, 2007
118 posts
72 upvotes
CALGARY
craftsman wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 2:20 pm
I know about the new cars not charging the battery, and the higher electrical load.
I'm aware of all the articles about how batteries are the same and the cars have changed. But I don't just have new cars and that just not my experience. (bad luck?)
I've gone through about 5 batteries in the past 10 years or so. None would last more than 4 years. Some not even close. Definitely not 10+ years like it used to be.
Maybe they have changed for cost, for environment or for whatever reason.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2311 posts
1098 upvotes
Ottawa
milkmilk wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 5:21 pm
I know about the new cars not charging the battery, and the higher electrical load.
I'm aware of all the articles about how batteries are the same and the cars have changed. But I don't just have new cars and that just not my experience. (bad luck?)
I've gone through about 5 batteries in the past 10 years or so. None would last more than 4 years. Some not even close. Definitely not 10+ years like it used to be.
Maybe they have changed for cost, for environment or for whatever reason.
Well, I must be one of the outliers then, the original battery in my 2007 Camry since July 2007 is still going even in sub -20C weather this winter, although I didn't want to take the chance so I have been topping up on really cold days with the Ctek 3.3 once a week. The inductance battery tester that I have indicates that it was only 74% capacity (original ~580 CCA) in the fall and sub 50% this winter. I do charge it with the Ctek every few months just to make sure. I've never had a problem with it but seeing the capacity is getting quite low, it may not last much longer, but it has been a long and productive life Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
7431 posts
2258 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
lead wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:22 pm
But not if its occuring across vehicles/age. Plus lets consider that more often than not. No one buys a new battery from say costco for a brand new vehicle it would be under manufacturer warranty anyway.

They are probably, more often than not, buying batteries that have died for older vehicles without any current change in eco practices that "brandnew" may implement.

Bad reputations and concerns come from volume returns. I know from one rep of a oem brand to part stores. That a past bad production resulted in volumes of returns with no indication of vehicle or use.

Damm for 17 i wished I could have found a couple even three. These are so reliable. I have used one over winters for storage for years..
But if you consider that many of cars 5 to 6 years old at this point have the 'eco-friendly' charging system (Subaru has had it in their cars for the past 6 years at least) and the standard warranty on new cars is 3 years, a good portion of the battery replacements maybe in newish cars as there would no longer be a warranty on the car or the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
7431 posts
2258 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gumby wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 6:26 pm
Well, I must be one of the outliers then, the original battery in my 2007 Camry since July 2007 is still going even in sub -20C weather this winter, although I didn't want to take the chance so I have been topping up on really cold days with the Ctek 3.3 once a week. The inductance battery tester that I have indicates that it was only 74% capacity (original ~580 CCA) in the fall and sub 50% this winter. I do charge it with the Ctek every few months just to make sure. I've never had a problem with it but seeing the capacity is getting quite low, it may not last much longer, but it has been a long and productive life Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
That's the way to treat a battery for a long life (also check the fluid levels if you can)!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1892 posts
130 upvotes
Guelph
Thanks op, just got one for this price at local store thanks to your pic.
Feb 28, 2016
84 posts
4 upvotes
No luck here in Sudbury, in the system at regular price with no real appetite to price match.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
7624 posts
7826 upvotes
Mahawka wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 5:04 pm
Was anyone able to find them in Calgary?
In stock at Calgary stores - But $49.98 and not $17.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
1x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Zoomer family plan for 4 numbers $117($72 + 2x$22.5)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1210 posts
316 upvotes
Scarborough

saw some at Markham Rd & 14th. but at $25.