• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2017 6:40 pm
[OP]
Nov 5, 2007
89 posts
30 upvotes
Winnipeg

[Home Depot] Echo SRM-225 21.2 CC Gas Trimmer - Price Match & Beat - $233.99

Please excuse any simple errors, I will correct them if need, this is my first deal thread!

The Echo SRM-225 is currently selling at Home Depot for $318 - https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.srm- ... 41748.html

Other retailers and shops have it normally for $289.

This week Peavy Mart (I believe a Western Canada chain only) has it for $259.99 - https://peaveymartonline.com/index.php? ... ct_id=2680
With price match and beat via Home Depot you should receive 10% off, making it $233 before taxes.

I was in and out of the store after manager approval in 5 minutes no questions asked. I had prepped myself before hand by calling Peavy Mart and confirming the model as the website does not state it, nor does the flyer. If you have a local store it might be worth going and taking a picture if questioned. For those that do not have a store it might be worth trying to see if you can bring up the ad as HD will beat online prices.

Here is the link to the online flyer with the trimmer on the back page - http://peaveymart.com/flyers.php
19 replies
Dec 27, 2012
3 posts
1 upvote
Can confirm, just pulled this one off. YMMV though, they want the price beat to be local and the model number isn't on the website. I was just really polite and didn't back down, they were very nice and gave an "exception".
Apr 15, 2006
648 posts
140 upvotes
Prefer electric, but seems like a good deal!
Dec 23, 2005
419 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for posting this. Trying to decide if I want to pick up this one or the Worx 56v electric trimmer @ Costco.. not sure if I want to deal with mixing gas and keeping another gas engine running. Wish I knew how many years the newer electric batteries last before starting to die. Any of you have any experience with either unit?
[OP]
Nov 5, 2007
89 posts
30 upvotes
Winnipeg
Deal is still available. I went back and forth on battery or gas, and decided the batteries are just too dang expensive after 2-3 years. HD sells Trufuel which is already mixed and highly rated. The trimmer is a BEAST.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2007
89 posts
30 upvotes
Winnipeg
Pilgrim wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 10:54 pm
Thanks for posting this. Trying to decide if I want to pick up this one or the Worx 56v electric trimmer @ Costco.. not sure if I want to deal with mixing gas and keeping another gas engine running. Wish I knew how many years the newer electric batteries last before starting to die. Any of you have any experience with either unit?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Worx-56-Volt ... /206300005

HOLY ***** and its low rated. The EGO were the only ones I would have considered and the batter is 150$.
Oct 14, 2007
232 posts
92 upvotes
Thedford
Pilgrim wrote:
With all respect, you will still be mixing gas for the Echo (should you buy it) long after the battery for the Worx is sitting in a landfill. I would expect the batteries for these units to last about 5 years as long as they are treated well. This means NOT leaving them to cook indefinitely on the charger and not running the battery into the ground buy discharging it too deeply. For those folks that don't take care of the battery, I'll give it two or three years.

I have used Echo trimmers and saws for thirty years without any problems given proper care (which isn't much). Buy the Echo.
Dec 27, 2012
3 posts
1 upvote
Used the trimmer for the first time today and I can confirm that the price beat was a screaming hot deal. This trimmer is a beast, far better than anything i would have bought in electric... BUY THIS TRIMMER, tell you neighbor to put some ear plugs in for 10 minutes every two weeks, BUY THIS TRIMMER.
Jan 24, 2013
5 posts
1 upvote
Thunder Bay
I started a lawn care business four years ago and bought this trimmer day one. It's needed absolutely no maintenance. Just gas and go every day of the summer. I want to buy one at this price but my current one is running flawlessly after years of abuse. I have no idea how echo makes equipment last so long without problems!! Buy this trimmer instead of an electric one
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2973 posts
652 upvotes
Montreal
darcyh wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 9:23 pm
With all respect, you will still be mixing gas for the Echo (should you buy it) long after the battery for the Worx is sitting in a landfill. I would expect the batteries for these units to last about 5 years as long as they are treated well. This means NOT leaving them to cook indefinitely on the charger and not running the battery into the ground buy discharging it too deeply. For those folks that don't take care of the battery, I'll give it two or three years.

I have used Echo trimmers and saws for thirty years without any problems given proper care (which isn't much). Buy the Echo.
Do you have any evidence to support your claim that leaving the battery on the charger or fully discharging the battery causes harm and will shorten life expectancy? AFAIK those issues do not apply to modern lithium-ion batteries because the charging and discharging is managed by the battery pack to protect it.
Jan 23, 2013
37 posts
18 upvotes
Pilgrim wrote:
I can't speak for the electric one, but the Echo is as good as it gets at this price range and I did a lot of research. These rarely ever go on sale, good find OP.
Oct 14, 2007
232 posts
92 upvotes
Thedford
GT!! wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 12:27 am
Do you have any evidence to support your claim that leaving the battery on the charger or fully discharging the battery causes harm and will shorten life expectancy? AFAIK those issues do not apply to modern lithium-ion batteries because the charging and discharging is managed by the battery pack to protect it.
Lots of information here: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9018 posts
1518 upvotes
Pilgrim wrote:
Went with a gas Stihl last season, love it, still starts first pull all the time. As for mixed fuel, I started buying the premixed stuff, it is more expensive, but for how much I use my gas trimmer, and now gas blower from an Amazon deal, a couple of cans last a season, and in speaking with the dealers, they state that because of being premixed or whatever, it doesn't break down the same as the stuff you mix yourself, I had a gas can that I had mixed up myself, and before I finished it off, it started to look sludgy etc. They advised as well, that I could leave it in the trimmer over the winter, with no repercussions, so I did that, and no issues, pulled it out in the spring and started right up, no residue or sludge on the bottom of the gas tank. Whether or not what they say is true, it's worked well for me. TSC had it on sale recently for $7 per can, I PM'd at HD for another 10% off for a net of $6.30 per can of fuel.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Sep 18, 2012
136 posts
88 upvotes
Quebec City
Buy Trufuel Premixed Gas and Oil for 2 Cycle Engines (available at 40:1 and 50:1 ratio) about 8$-9$ per 1L can.

Has a two year shelf life once opened, 5 years when not opened.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9018 posts
1518 upvotes
li442il wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 11:40 am
Buy Trufuel Premixed Gas and Oil for 2 Cycle Engines (available at 40:1 and 50:1 ratio) about 8$-9$ per 1L can.

Has a two year shelf life once opened, 5 years when not opened.
Thats the stuff. As I was saying, TSC puts it on sale during their dollar days etc for $7/1 litre. When it's not on sale, HD sells a 3.78 litre can for about $28.
Bought 4 cans when it was on sale.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.