Keigotw wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 12:55 pm

If you don't have whole house humidifier
Costco has ecobee3 lite with 2 sensors for $199.99
pay by masterpass and get $20 off, So $179.99 before tax
https://www.costco.ca/Ecobee3-Lite-Smar ... 21442.html
cappaj wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 12:57 pm
This is what I did a few weeks ago! Also, depending on how fancy you want to get, you can get another $25-50 coupon for Costco.ca through the gift of membership deal:

costco-get-25-50-online-voucher-gift-me ... e-2233372/
plus enter your postal code here and see if you qualify for any rebate In your area
https://www.ecobee.com/rebates/
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1648 posts
1050 upvotes
Ottawa
Keigotw wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 1:02 pm
plus enter your postal code here and see if you qualify for any rebate In your area
https://www.ecobee.com/rebates/
Oh yeah I forgot about that - I did that too haha.
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Oct 28, 2013
2 posts
Mississauga
Ordered for pickup at a store in Mississauga, got the confirmation to pick it up with in 20 min.
Jan 19, 2010
10 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
How does more then one sensors help to save money or keep house at same tempreture on all floors?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2735 posts
1414 upvotes
Toronto
bajigar wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 1:15 pm
How does more then one sensors help to save money or keep house at same tempreture on all floors?
Posted this in another thread:
This is how I use them currently:

My 'Sleep' mode only uses the sensor in our bedroom at night. So if it gets colder on the bottom floor but remains cozy in our bedroom, the heating won't run. I also like using it for different schedules. For example I can work from home a certain da of the week and disable all other sensors and use my 'office' sensor to make sure someone is home otherwise it will set to away. It's also great for 'Smart Away'. It detects if there are any occupants in the home to run the heating/cooling. If motion isn't detected for a while, it sets it to Smart Away.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ecobee-s ... #p30054241
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13295 posts
2598 upvotes
Markham
bajigar wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 1:15 pm
not sure about the saving money part, that is YMMV
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2173 posts
1373 upvotes
Oakville
The problem with the concept behind these sensors (which I bought 4 of on the amazon thread), is that it even if you want to heat one room where the sensor is, you need to install actuator/deflectors to turn of the heat supply to other rooms.

That would be the proper way to go about this, directly leading to energy saving, and for someone like me with 30 vents, its quite cost prohibitive to invest in such a system with a ROI being 10 years at least.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Sep 30, 2008
899 posts
576 upvotes
Pickering
That was fast, just got my ready for pick up email. Thanks again OP!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1523 posts
499 upvotes
Outside of the comfort improvements, does this help increase efficiency? Or does each sensor know when people are in the house (one of mine is in rarely used dining room, beside kitchen)?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1648 posts
1050 upvotes
Ottawa
razrsharp wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 2:27 pm
Outside of the comfort improvements, does this help increase efficiency? Or does each sensor know when people are in the house (one of mine is in rarely used dining room, beside kitchen)?
They build data over time to determine when rooms tend to be "occupied". And you can tell your main thermostat to ignore, e.g., your dining room sensor at night when everyone's in their bedrooms.

Someone else pointed out that this can help with efficiency if it means that your thermostat is staying on top of keeping occupied rooms warm enough (by keeping the whole house warm enough) only when they're occupied, instead of you sitting in your dining room going "man it's cold in here" and cranking your thermostat up temporarily (e.g., until bedtime or something). Where you would have had it running hotter for 6 hours, the smart thermostat may only have it running hotter for 3 hours. I think that's the concept?
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1523 posts
499 upvotes
cappaj wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 2:48 pm
They build data over time to determine when rooms tend to be "occupied". And you can tell your main thermostat to ignore, e.g., your dining room sensor at night when everyone's in their bedrooms.

Someone else pointed out that this can help with efficiency if it means that your thermostat is staying on top of keeping occupied rooms warm enough (by keeping the whole house warm enough) only when they're occupied, instead of you sitting in your dining room going "man it's cold in here" and cranking your thermostat up temporarily (e.g., until bedtime or something). Where you would have had it running hotter for 6 hours, the smart thermostat may only have it running hotter for 3 hours. I think that's the concept?
I think what i mean is - can my dining room sensor know that we're home on the same floor, without anyone being in the room? My dining room gets visited very infrequently - which is potentially why I'd consider getting a couple extra sensors for the family room or kitchen, for example.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1089 posts
758 upvotes
Montreal
razrsharp wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 2:53 pm
I think what i mean is - can my dining room sensor know that we're home on the same floor, without anyone being in the room? My dining room gets visited very infrequently - which is potentially why I'd consider getting a couple extra sensors for the family room or kitchen, for example.
You need sensors everywhere you go obviously (or pass by often so the sensor trigger)... It's not an "on-off" switch type of sensor... There's a delay of X minutes (15, 30, I don't know...). The best I think, instead of investing into sensors, is to get the smart switches. Hopefully they release that feature soon tho...