• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 2:48 pm
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
51 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[Home Depot] Ecobee3 with Room Sensor Kit $219.00

For those that missed Lowes.ca sale on Ecobee3 with room sensor, Home Depot now has it on sale for the same price.

Last night I went to Home Depot to try and price match with Lowes, but the in-store price was on sale at $219.00 as well.

Last night the website said $299.99, but now its updated online at homedepot.ca

Qualifies for energy rebates, so makes it a pretty good deal if you are looking for a smart thermostat.
Last edited by lkalvin1 on Dec 7th, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
39 replies
Dec 22, 2001
702 posts
106 upvotes
Seems very hot to me. Quebecers w/ GazMet can get a $100 rebate on a smart thermostat. I've been thinking about replacing my Nest with one of these, but after seeing how the scheduling works, I am less interested.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2115 posts
944 upvotes
Make sure to buy batteries. All of my sensors died within a few days of each other after about 8 months.

I didn't realize they would die so fast (8 months frlt fast)

Waiting on my order of batteries now to get them going again.
Aug 28, 2007
573 posts
112 upvotes
Vancouver
uklamen wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:52 am
Make sure to buy batteries. All of my sensors died within a few days of each other after about 8 months.

I didn't realize they would die so fast (8 months frlt fast)

Waiting on my order of batteries now to get them going again.
Damn I thought they claimed that it was 2-3 years life span for the sensor batteries lol
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
51 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It looks pretty simple to schedule?

Perhaps compared to the Nest, the Nest is a much better design?

Currently I'm still using a "dumb" thermostat, so will see after I install ecobee3 lol.
Nov 21, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
boojew wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:37 am
Seems very hot to me. Quebecers w/ GazMet can get a $100 rebate on a smart thermostat. I've been thinking about replacing my Nest with one of these, but after seeing how the scheduling works, I am less interested.
If Nest could ever come out with sensors, I would gladly switch over to them. There's no way I'm going back to a comfortable hallway and "cold" rooms.
Jan 31, 2010
323 posts
88 upvotes
St. John's
How many sensors does this come with? It says "with Room Sensors", but also mentions just 1? Is it maybe the ecobee3 comes with 1, and with this room sensor kit there are more?
Apr 2, 2006
402 posts
19 upvotes
Are there any additional discounts available?

Lowes.ca deal was great (I didn't apply RFD principle of buy first, think later and missed out) because of additional 10-15% discount depending on where you live. I checked this morning and they are still OOS.

Amazon.ca has the same Ecobee with 1 room sensor for $219.99 at the moment.
Jun 29, 2010
810 posts
176 upvotes
Unfortunately I missed out on Lowe's and got the Amazon one.
I went to Ecobee compatibility check and my furnace will need the optional Power Extension Kit (included) so it looks fine for me.
I have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000TS.

Even more unfortunate, I am not an Enbridge customer so don't get the $100 rebate. I may have to turn in my RFD card on this one.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1674 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto & north …
crustydragon wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:21 pm
Are there any additional discounts available?
How about 99 cents plus tax, as in $219.00 instead of the thread posted $219.99? Snapped this pic at Elgin Mills / Hwy 404 this morning while adding to my expanding Nest brand collection. Hope the pic is of some use here.

Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2115 posts
944 upvotes
ForbiddenX wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:53 am
Damn I thought they claimed that it was 2-3 years life span for the sensor batteries lol
I think the FAQ said about a year. Less if high traffic area.

Not that its expensive or a big deal, just smart to order some batteries ahead of time to get a deal. I have 4 sensors right now.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10396 posts
3094 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cquilliam wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:12 pm
How many sensors does this come with? It says "with Room Sensors", but also mentions just 1? Is it maybe the ecobee3 comes with 1, and with this room sensor kit there are more?
The Ecobee3 thermostat itself has a temperature and occupancy sensor. The box also comes with 1 remote sensor that you can place around the house. You can add more remote sensors as you see fit, up to 32 remote sensors I believe.
Dec 22, 2001
702 posts
106 upvotes
mrmike1 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:00 pm
If Nest could ever come out with sensors, I would gladly switch over to them. There's no way I'm going back to a comfortable hallway and "cold" rooms.
My issue with the remote sensors is that since we are 4 people in the house (2 adults + 2 kids), there is no scenario in which I can see the sensors actually helping me - as I feel like no matter what - someone gets screwed. And don't get me wrong - they already do, but the scheduling we have on our nest is the manual compensation for it ;)
Mar 18, 2007
226 posts
69 upvotes
EdmontonEdmonton
I took down a 2cnd Gen nest that had heating failure twice in 2 years to put up an ecobee. The ecobee is way better in every regard except ease of schedule through the software - it works just takes some getting used too. I won’t ever go back to nest - I am so much happier with the way the ecobee works and hopefully the reliability.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1264 posts
136 upvotes
boojew wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:25 pm
My issue with the remote sensors is that since we are 4 people in the house (2 adults + 2 kids), there is no scenario in which I can see the sensors actually helping me - as I feel like no matter what - someone gets screwed. And don't get me wrong - they already do, but the scheduling we have on our nest is the manual compensation for it ;)
I have mine set up with a sensor in the bedroom and the night time program only uses that temperature reading to control the thermostat. i.e. I don't care if the sun is shining into the dining room where the main thermostat is, and affecting its room temperature, but I do care that I am warm/cool in my room. The more rooms you have though, unless your house is perfectly balanced the more likely that somebody is going to start to get too hot/cold if you're trying to satisfy the sensor in someone else's room.

The sensors are also really good for setting a more conservative program when people could be away and then automatically overriding when it detects people are at home. You could also just install a sensor and not use it for programs, to act purely as a temperature logger (basement, garage, wine cellar).

I really like the ecobee. However, Enbridge is refusing to honour the $100 rebate for me. I submitted the claim and although I met all the eligibility requirements, the rebate was refused. Ecobee customer service says talk to Enbridge; Enbridge says talk to Ecobee. Very disappointing. But the thermostat itself is excellent.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)