• Dec 8th, 2017 2:48 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2877 posts
550 upvotes
Ottawa
GreyingJay wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:33 pm
The more rooms you have though, unless your house is perfectly balanced the more likely that somebody is going to start to get too hot/cold if you're trying to satisfy the sensor in someone else's room.
Don't they have a balance mode? i.e. if Sensor1 != Sensor2 != Sensor3 != SensorN then run the fan full tilt until they are equal. Sounds like a no brainer feature to me.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10425 posts
3112 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dirtmover wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:48 pm
Don't they have a balance mode? i.e. if Sensor1 != Sensor2 != Sensor3 != SensorN then run the fan full tilt until they are equal. Sounds like a no brainer feature to me.
Yes, it doesn't try to overheat the warmer part of the house to get the colder part of the house up to a certain level. It applies averaging to try to get all the occupied rooms to a comfortable level.

Here's the explanation from Ecobee:

https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/art ... Follow-Me-
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1264 posts
136 upvotes
dirtmover wrote:
Oh, I didn't realize that. That sounds like a great feature, and a good reason to get more sensors!
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10425 posts
3112 upvotes
Toronto, ON
boojew wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:25 pm
My issue with the remote sensors is that since we are 4 people in the house (2 adults + 2 kids), there is no scenario in which I can see the sensors actually helping me - as I feel like no matter what - someone gets screwed. And don't get me wrong - they already do, but the scheduling we have on our nest is the manual compensation for it ;)
I really don't see how the Nest thermostat can make the whole house comfortable when it only knows the temperature at the thermostat location. It may be smart in predicting your routine throughout the day, but when everyone is home, I can't see it being able to tell if a part of the house needs more heat or more cool. I think that's where the Ecobee really differentiates itself and shines. And what happens if the whole family is in the basement enjoying a movie in the home theatre? Does Nest know everyone is still home? The ecobee will know because the remote sensor will know there are people in the basement.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2913 posts
263 upvotes
Hamilton
Im just looking forward to having the one sensor in the main hallway on the upper level, and I'm glad I read in this thread that you can tell the ecobee to ignore the main temp sensor and only use the remote on at certain times.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
7260 posts
7631 upvotes
dirtmover wrote:
No. Ecobee does not do that.
But you can configure how many minutes(increment of 5 minutes steps) the fan will be on per hour. I wish Ecobee will automate this step. I adjust the fan on minute per hour depending on outside temperature (i.e. differential temperature between the inside and outside temperature).

I have Ecobee3 Lite without humidifier control. My humidifier turns on when the furnace fan is running. I use the fan runtime/hour to regulate inside humidity.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
2x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Zoomer family plan for 3 numbers $94.50($72+$22.5)
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1647 posts
218 upvotes
Calgary
Hasn't it been this price everywhere since black Friday? Anyway, those of us in Alberta can buy at Lowe's with the additional 15% off promo (website banner), or 10% off for the rest of the country using FRIENDS10
Nov 6, 2016
49 posts
15 upvotes
You can also price match this at Best Buy to get it at $211.99

I just show the sales associate Amazon price and he price match it for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1353 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
Anyone know of a deal on room sensors?
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
51 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:18 pm
How about 99 cents plus tax, as in $219.00 instead of the thread posted $219.99? Snapped this pic at Elgin Mills / Hwy 404 this morning while adding to my expanding Nest brand collection. Hope the pic is of some use here.
lol Ooops, yeah its $219. fixed in og post. thx.
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
51 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
GreyingJay wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:33 pm

I really like the ecobee. However, Enbridge is refusing to honour the $100 rebate for me. I submitted the claim and although I met all the eligibility requirements, the rebate was refused. Ecobee customer service says talk to Enbridge; Enbridge says talk to Ecobee. Very disappointing. But the thermostat itself is excellent.
Did they give a reason why they are refusing it?
I only really want it if it qualifies for the rebate lol. They ask you to install first before the rebate is applied, so its I don't think its possible to return if rebate is refused.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5349 posts
760 upvotes
Mont-Royal
not sure why best buy are hiring half brain people, the price match she put me on hold for 30 minutes after having both HD and best order in front of her.. it took her quite a while to type the number orders as well and failed initially because she went to homedepot USA
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jun 8, 2008
498 posts
84 upvotes
I thought I saw this for 179.99 ... During Black Friday on Amazon.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)