• Nov 18th, 2019 10:11 am
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1335 posts
292 upvotes
Ottawa, On
SPARTACVS wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 9:47 am
Real quesiton IMO is quality and price/quality ratio. Specs is one thing, quality is another. I suspect Ego to be a much better quality product. I cannot comment about the price/quality of any product.
Battery reusability is also important. Nothing else uses those 100v snow Joe batteries, where I can use the ego batteries for a lawn mower, blower, trimmer, etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
1046 posts
364 upvotes
T Dot
Does anyone own corded snow blowers?

Aside from the no cord management factor with the battery operated model, is there any other difference?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1005 posts
504 upvotes
Returned the leaf blower today for $146.01 before taxes.

Tips for a successful leaf blower return. Return it using your electronic receipt zoomed in on your phone showing only the barcode for the cashier to scan. Because with a paper receipt, the smarter cashiers might examine the paper receipt and see that the leaf blower was free and give you hassle or deny you for trying to return it.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2005
1355 posts
189 upvotes
London, ON
For those of you who bought the snow blower, did you get gen 1 battery or gen 2 battery? Gen 2 battery has power indicator telling you how much juice left.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14297 posts
3633 upvotes
London
dk87 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 2:57 pm
Does anyone own corded snow blowers?

Aside from the no cord management factor with the battery operated model, is there any other difference?
Corded machines like snow joes are rated between 600 to 800 lbs/min snow removal where as the ego is rated at 1500 lbs/ min, so almost twice to capacity

For comparison, the gas powered 5hp Toro 518z is rated at 1100 lb/ min and the gas powered 7 hp Toro 721e is rated at 1900 lb/ min
Last edited by l69norm on Oct 20th, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 24, 2011
255 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
anshiren wrote: Good info and all good machines.

But to me as someone in GTA who owns a typical 4 cars driveway, I feel a combination of no need to worry about oil change & fumes, easy handling and storage, one simple push start at any winter, light weight, smaller noise are really tempting.

But yeh, with a steel auger/two stage and more power, definitely a real monster to deal with any weather/heavy icy and wet snow/frozen snowbanks, which ego may not be perfect for. Plus for some decent brands, I know they can last for decades (neighbor’s toro is 15years and still going strong) but not sure if ego can last 8 years even with a second pair of battery replacement after 4 years mark.
Totally agree. If you don't care about the throwing distance, battery snowblower maybe a choice. However, at this price, you can get an small used honda like hs622.
Mar 18, 2008
217 posts
121 upvotes
toronto
This machine is pretty comparable to the toro 721.

I have the toro and my brother has the ego. The toro definitely feels lighter to the push but cannot change the “power” like the ego could.

I believe both are good products but I do think that the toro would last me longer. My brother does not agree lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6185 posts
1792 upvotes
Whitby
P0rkchop wrote:
Oct 1st, 2019 9:49 am
Thanks. Ordered one. Wish I didn't get the Ryobi mower this summer and paid up for the ego. Oh well, the Ryobi mower has been pretty good, it just would have been nice to use one battery
Which Ryobi mower? Wife is complaining she can't pull start our gas mower
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14297 posts
3633 upvotes
London
Zamboni wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 8:02 pm
Which Ryobi mower? Wife is complaining she can't pull start our gas mower
This is a repeat from a different thread:
There’s a two hand starting approach that can double the pulling force on the starter cord. Assume you are right handed
1. Take the machine handle with the left hand and pull it right tight to your body with the elbow bent
2. Extend the right arm fully and grab the pull start cord
3. Take two steps forward and while the machine is still rolling forward, fully extend the left arm, further thrusting the machine forward
4. At the same time pull the starter cord back with your right arm, bending your elbow

The weight/ momentum of the machine moving forward plus the strength of your left arm pushing multiplies the force your right arm has pulling the start cord backwards.

Btw, one common mistake is people forget to pull the blade brake release while pulling the starter cord. They are pulling against the blade brake plus there's an ignition cut off so there's no way they can start the machine
Mar 26, 2013
121 posts
75 upvotes
GTA
zickvon wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 5:36 pm
For those of you who bought the snow blower, did you get gen 1 battery or gen 2 battery? Gen 2 battery has power indicator telling you how much juice left.
Got the first gen battery says manufactured July 2018. Was hoping for gen 2 :(
Jan 31, 2011
749 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
UnluckyDucky wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 9:57 pm

Got the first gen battery says manufactured July 2018. Was hoping for gen 2 :(
technically speaking the one with fuel guage is marketed as gen3, the older one without it gen2. Gen 1 was never made it out to market.

It's an annoyance not having the fuel guage on the gen2 battery, but if you have the rapid charger you can check it there.
rwgs811 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 1:46 am
How do you think this compares to this Snow Joe 100V one? - https://www.lowes.ca/product/cordless-e ... wer-872924

Apparently the auger design is better on the SJ as it "pulls" you forward, not to mention on paper it should be more powerful than the EGO. The main downside I can see however is that there are very few other 100V SJ tools, so you would struggle to use the battery for anything else (which is the biggest part of the cost).
It's good that there's more competitions out there so we all benefit from it as consumers. Snow Joe is the only one comes with awkward 2 years warranty for a $1000 gadget. Not to mention they never mention their dual battery slots are working in parallel (like EGO) or just dumb secondary sequential storage. If that's just sequential then I guess EGO can still provide more peak power usage to the SB motor even it is rated at 2000W. Same goes for the latest Toro 60V snowblower which has batttery charger awkfully look like EGO's design.

If Canadian tire already has 120V lawn mower for sale (even crappy tire comes with 5yrs warranty), they might have 120V snow blower soon.
Jul 29, 2016
146 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
I was at HD today and I noticed the blade is rubber. It should be good to pick up snow, but I am not sure if that's strong enough to cut through some build up. Personally I would avoid the rubber blade.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1656 posts
86 upvotes
typhooney wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 7:54 pm
This machine is pretty comparable to the toro 721.

I have the toro and my brother has the ego. The toro definitely feels lighter to the push but cannot change the “power” like the ego could.

I believe both are good products but I do think that the toro would last me longer. My brother does not agree lol
I have a 721 and am looking at this Ego to replace it. The toro really drives itself with a little upward push on the handle, the paddles walk it forward. Yet, watching videos of people using this Ego, they really seem to be PUSHING this thing. Do you think the Ego functions similarly to the Toro 721 or does it's design simply not allow the paddles to drive itself forward as much? I'm satisfied with the performance of the 721 overall, but since I rarely use it, maintaining it and dealing with fuel isn't ideal.
Mar 24, 2008
218 posts
65 upvotes
Halifax
mork wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2019 8:03 am
I have a 721 and am looking at this Ego to replace it. The toro really drives itself with a little upward push on the handle, the paddles walk it forward. Yet, watching videos of people using this Ego, they really seem to be PUSHING this thing. Do you think the Ego functions similarly to the Toro 721 or does it's design simply not allow the paddles to drive itself forward as much? I'm satisfied with the performance of the 721 overall, but since I rarely use it, maintaining it and dealing with fuel isn't ideal.
I also have a Toro 721 I don't use much (three times last winter) and am considering the EGO. Yes, the self-propelled factor is a difference. On the Toro, the paddles scrape the ground and that action moves it along so you don't have to push much unless it's heavy going. On the EGO, the paddles don't actually touch the ground - there's a scraper bar instead, so to move it you have to push.

No big deal in light snow, but where I live when there's a big dump it's often a "snow changing to rain, then freezing" scenario and I'm leery of having to manhandle the EGO through 20 cm of heavy, wet snow. I might pick up the EGO anyway, run both this winter, and see which works better for me.
Apr 4, 2017
237 posts
174 upvotes
How well does this snowblower work on clearing out the wall (windrow) that the city plows leave at the end of the driveway?
How well does this work on the 10+cm heavy wet snow falls?
(I'm in the GTA, York Region snowbelt area)

Thanks