Home & Garden

Home Depot Extended Warranty on Appliances through Comerco - worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2020 9:48 am
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1446 posts
729 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Home Depot Extended Warranty on Appliances through Comerco - worth it?

Bought the following appliances from Home Depot earlier this year. Looking for feedback on whether or not to purchase extended warranty on any or all of the following appliances 

Washer - LG WM3770HVA - Home depot price for 5 yr extended warranty $159; LG price for one price fix (includes parts and labor) $199 

Link to product - https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.52-c ... 26345.html

Dryer - LG DLEX3570V - Home depot price for 5 yr extended warranty $169; LG price for one price fix (includes parts and labor) $199 

Link to product - https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.74-c ... 07401.html

Fridge - LG LFXC24726S - Home depot price for 5 yr extended warranty $259; LG price for one price fix (includes parts and labor) $279 

Link to product - https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.24-c ... 07920.html

Gas range - LG LSG5513ST - Home depot price for 5 yr extended warranty $229; LG price for one price fix (includes parts and labor) $210 (unsure as not clear on LG website)

Link to product - https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.62-c ... 48734.html

Dishwasher - Bosch SHEM63W55N - Home depot price for 5 yr extended warranty $169; unsure of repair costs as it is not a LG product 

Link to product - https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.235- ... 65897.html

LG website where prices for one price fix obtained - https://lgoutofwarranty.ca

Of note is that Home Depot's extended appliance warranty is through Comerco - the reviews on RFD seem to mixed to negative re Comerco but I could only find 2-3 threads. I'm wondering since Home Depot likely sells thousands and thousands of extended warranties on appliances, if 2-3 threads on RFD is a good representation of the type of service/experience to expect through Comerco. See 

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/comerco ... od-750041/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/major-a ... e-2163886/

Home Depot staff claim Comerco will try to repair the appliance x3 and after that they pay out the $$ to replace the appliance (the max amount they would pay is what I originally bought the particular appliance for earlier this year). 

My understanding is that LG appliance parts are difficult to track down so even for minor issues, I would have to pay LG for their 1 price fix prices. Basically, if any of the LG appliances needs repair over the next 5 years, I would come out ahead by getting the extended warranty through Home Depot/Comerco (since LG price fix prices are consistently higher for almost all the appliances listed above). Based on the amount of electronics on appliances, I think odds are that I would have issues at least once on most if not all of these appliances.  

My only hesitation is after reading the comments on Comerco. While it would be nice to have the piece of mind for the next few years, I would kick myself if after reading the reviews on Comerco if I decide to pay the extra $$ for the extended warranty now and experience exactly what many have described on RFD. 

I should also add that the credit card I paid with for all of the appliances was the BMO World Elite MC which i believe doubles the manufacturers warranty so basically i am paying the prices quoted above for 4 years of warranty since i am already covered for another year after the manufacturers warranty.

Any thoughts on if I should or should not consider extended warranty on any or all of these appliances? 
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
No, extended warranties are a waste of money. Every time someone tries to sell you a warranty, decline and put the money into a savings account. You'll come out ahead. The grand you're saving straight off is a great start.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
3208 posts
1526 upvotes
Read post number two, immediately above...
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1446 posts
729 upvotes
Calgary, AB
dirtmover wrote: No, extended warranties are a waste of money. Every time someone tries to sell you a warranty, decline and put the money into a savings account. You'll come out ahead. The grand you're saving straight off is a great start.
fieldhousehandyman wrote: Read post number two, immediately above...
I generally don't buy extended warranties either. Lately, I keep hearing though that appliances aren't built to last like they were in the past and with all the moving parts I figured I would at least look to see what repairs would cost if/once I am out of warranty.

Since most of our appliances are LG, there is also the consideration that there are no small/cheap fixes. Even with something minor over the next 5 years, I would be looking at a bill that is higher in $$ compared to the fee for the 5 yr extended warranty.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2108 posts
300 upvotes
Mississauga
Depends on the value of the item...

I would never buy a warranty on a dishwashwer that only costed me $500.

With that being said, I personally like to buy warranties on the higher priced items - or the ones that it is hard to live without:

the fridge
the washer

I've never purchased on a stove/dishwashwer/dryer

Again, I might be biased because the warranties have saved me.

At my parents house we had purchased a fridge from the bay (back in the day - i think it was still the same comero service provider)...had several issues with it and replaced it under the lemon rule...
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1446 posts
729 upvotes
Calgary, AB
pardnme wrote: Depends on the value of the item...

I would never buy a warranty on a dishwashwer that only costed me $500.

With that being said, I personally like to buy warranties on the higher priced items - or the ones that it is hard to live without:

the fridge
the washer

I've never purchased on a stove/dishwashwer/dryer

Again, I might be biased because the warranties have saved me.

At my parents house we had purchased a fridge from the bay (back in the day - i think it was still the same comero service provider)...had several issues with it and replaced it under the lemon rule...
How was your overall experience dealing with Comerco? The threads I provided links to in OP had several rfd members express Comerco was challenging to work/communicate with...
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1510 posts
994 upvotes
CALGARY
We purchased all our appliances for our new home from trail appliances calgary. They were offering Comerco insurance for 5 yrs for $699 for all the appliances which costed $16k. We felt it is reasonable and took it. Also this will be added to our mortgage as it's a new build. Never used it though but trail appliances service is good and I was told Comerco does it with Trail Appliances in Calgary.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1446 posts
729 upvotes
Calgary, AB
cec4111 wrote: We purchased all our appliances for our new home from trail appliances calgary. They were offering Comerco insurance for 5 yrs for $699 for all the appliances which costed $16k. We felt it is reasonable and took it. Also this will be added to our mortgage as it's a new build. Never used it though but trail appliances service is good and I was told Comerco does it with Trail Appliances in Calgary.
That does sound reasonable for what you paid for the appliances. We bought ours for around half that and our total for extended warranty for fridge, gas range, dishwasher, washer/dryer will be around $1,000 so about 13% of total paid for the appliances
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I found Lg parts to be very reasonable and my dishwasher super easy to work on if you are remotely handy and have YouTube.

I do feel I had to put too many parts into a 2k dishwasher but it’s 11 now and still running like new.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2108 posts
300 upvotes
Mississauga
honestly, i don't remember....i was younger and my parents had to deal with it...but beside waiting for an appointment, i think the rest was fine
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1528 posts
325 upvotes
Grimsby
Wow, you are looking to speculate Just over $1000? How many can go wrong and how often?

I have never bought insurance but I am able to repair many things where only common sense is needed.

These days Youtube is your friend for anything that needs to be repaired, a brilliant addition to my arsenal of fixit tools Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
I bought for all my appliances. $160 is cheap insurance to have for something that we depend on.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Feb 7, 2020
1 posts
I bought Comerco warranty at Home Depot for my LG fridge. The circulation fan is making so much noise we can't sleep at night. It's viberating so bad I am afraid of it catching fire. I tried to get a technician out from Comerco, they said " noises aren't covered, read your contract"

This warranty with this com5is a total waste of money. For what I paid for the warranty I could have LG come and replace the failing fan motor.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)