Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Hampton Bay Venturi Spiral Flame Heater $198 (Reg. $656)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2019 3:58 am
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
Anwill wrote: Did a DIY conversion of mine to natural gas.
Increased the bore of the main burner gas supply orifice as well as the pilot gas supply orifice.
Hooked it up to my barbecue natural gas supply line.
No refilling of propane tanks.
Works like a charm!
Sweet! Should have recorded and created a youtube vid :)
Jan 31, 2008
693 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
Anwill wrote: Did a DIY conversion of mine to natural gas.
Increased the bore of the main burner gas supply orifice as well as the pilot gas supply orifice.
Hooked it up to my barbecue natural gas supply line.
No refilling of propane tanks.
Works like a charm!
cool, did the supplies cost much?
I actually saw a bunch of conversion kits from propane -> NG from HD on clearance for about 20 or 30 bucks (labeled 40k btus)
looks perfect for this...maybe that's an alternative for people looking to accomplish something similar?
May 7, 2017
48 posts
43 upvotes
starchoice wrote: Purchased this cover from Amazon. It is 72 inches, shorter than the others, so a better fit. It also has an integrated belt and buckle to cinch it tight. I like the tan colour as it is better in not attracting the heat to the unit.
Because of the odd size, and I'm a bit anal about these things, I had a cover custom made. $98CAD with a coupon code, including tax and shipping, for 1000D 18oz PVC coated polyester custom cover with zipper, 5 year warranty. So I ordered the heater in August, received at beginning of September and received the cover about a week ago. Seems good so far. This is where I purchased through (I am not related to the company in any way, just passing along info): https://www.coversandall.ca/custom-size ... inder.html

I learned along the way that what was actually happening here was that the cover wass being made in India and being drop-shipped to me via DHL. I had concerns once I learned this, but product quality was fine, fit was good, no brokerage fees, I was charged in $CAD as per the site (which also hosts for US and other locales), so things seemed to have worked out well.
Nov 28, 2017
55 posts
56 upvotes
I initially bought a conversion kit from Lowe’s but I didn’t need it. Plus it said it’s not designed for use with Patio Heaters. I’ll be returning it.
The conversion was pretty inexpensive.
You’ll need to already have your natural gas hookup with the hose that you usually use for your barbecue. I already had that.
The additional tools are a good drill, a full set of drill bits, vice grip pliers and a couple adjustable wrenches.
That’s it!
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
314 posts
354 upvotes
Nunavut
Anwill wrote: I’ll see if I can post some detailed instructions in the next couple days.
Hang tight.
How did you even learn to to do that?
Nov 28, 2017
55 posts
56 upvotes
I started off by watching this video posted here by OptimusPrime1:

The mod was mostly the same procedure except that I ended up having to modify the pilot light gas supply orifice as well, by making it larger. It wasn’t large enough to supply enough gas for a larger, hotter flame to the pilot light.
If you don’t do that there is a built in safety feature that will shut off the main gas valve in the heater. You’ll have a beautiful flame, then it’ll go out.
Note I haven’t bypassed any of the safety features of the heater. They all still function.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
1291 posts
423 upvotes
Calgary
I have two questions from users:
1. if I increase the orifice for ng, does it comes with quick connection? so i can hook quickly to ng outlet for i use for my BBQ
2. Since the flame is at table height, do you get some warmth at feet/floor level?
Nov 28, 2017
55 posts
56 upvotes
1. if I increase the orifice for ng, does it comes with quick connection? so i can hook quickly to ng outlet for i use for my BBQ.

Answer: The orifice is being enlarged on the heater’s main burner orifice and also the pilot light gas supply line’s orifice.
No, it does not come with a quick connect hose but you can get a separate one to use with your heater in addition to the quick connect hose you use with your barbecue grill.
Alternatively you could probably get a quick connect double/dual fitting to allow you to hook up both your heater and your grill at the same time. Only issue with that is, depending on how far you are away from your gas meter, you may not have enough gas to supply them both if you want to run them at the same time.

2. Since the flame is at table height, do you get some warmth at feet/floor level?

Answer: The heat is mainly emitted and felt from through the glass tube and upwards. Heat rises so you won’t get heat below that.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
TKakanowski wrote: Because of the odd size, and I'm a bit anal about these things, I had a cover custom made. $98CAD with a coupon code, including tax and shipping, for 1000D 18oz PVC coated polyester custom cover with zipper, 5 year warranty. So I ordered the heater in August, received at beginning of September and received the cover about a week ago. Seems good so far. This is where I purchased through (I am not related to the company in any way, just passing along info): https://www.coversandall.ca/custom-size ... inder.html

I learned along the way that what was actually happening here was that the cover wass being made in India and being drop-shipped to me via DHL. I had concerns once I learned this, but product quality was fine, fit was good, no brokerage fees, I was charged in $CAD as per the site (which also hosts for US and other locales), so things seemed to have worked out well.
You should post a photo of your cover.

I think that most RFDers, myself included, are likely not prepared to pay $98 which is half the cost of the patio heater unit.
Jun 27, 2010
464 posts
119 upvotes
Mississauga
Last one at HD Mississauga Heartland ..hurry up!
Images
  • E33E889B-AF2E-4936-9EE5-512AD703D269.jpeg
Apr 19, 2007
339 posts
118 upvotes
York
sroghen wrote: Last one at HD Mississauga Heartland ..hurry up!
Anyone grabbing this before I head out (save me a wasted trip)?
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1036 posts
285 upvotes
Vancouver
Anwill wrote: I initially bought a conversion kit from Lowe’s but I didn’t need it. Plus it said it’s not designed for use with Patio Heaters. I’ll be returning it.
The conversion was pretty inexpensive.
You’ll need to already have your natural gas hookup with the hose that you usually use for your barbecue. I already had that.
The additional tools are a good drill, a full set of drill bits, vice grip pliers and a couple adjustable wrenches.
That’s it!
Does the length of the hose affect the output of flames? Most conversion kits come with 6-10ft hose. I would like to purchase a 20ft hose and use that instead.
Apr 19, 2007
339 posts
118 upvotes
York
sroghen wrote: Last one at HD Mississauga Heartland ..hurry up!
Thanks Sroghen! Picked it up... last one.
It rang through at $498. I said "no thank you, I was expecting $198". They made the adjustment, and off I went.
Now to figure out what to do with it. I guess 1st step is to get a propane tank.
Thank you OP as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2208 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
Just FYI I looked at mine today. Pretty silly design but there’s a ridge at the bottom of the base that holds water and has began rusting. Mine has been covered since day 2 and I have only used it two times. I’ve also already coated with some rust inhibitor. Just went over the bottom edge again after cleaning it up but a bit disappointed.
Jun 27, 2010
464 posts
119 upvotes
Mississauga
2K6TSX wrote: Just FYI I looked at mine today. Pretty silly design but there’s a ridge at the bottom of the base that holds water and has began rusting. Mine has been covered since day 2 and I have only used it two times. I’ve also already coated with some rust inhibitor. Just went over the bottom edge again after cleaning it up but a bit disappointed.
can you send a pic.
May 3, 2010
443 posts
558 upvotes
Oakville
Do you think the glass should be brought in in the winter?

I think it can crack from freezing other half doesnt
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2623 posts
3724 upvotes
GTA
modelle18 wrote: Do you think the glass should be brought in in the winter?

I think it can crack from freezing other half doesnt
Glass does not crack by freezing. It can crack if something inside it expands, like water turning to ice in a jar.

If glass cracked from freezing, think of the streetlights.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2623 posts
3724 upvotes
GTA
2K6TSX wrote: Just FYI I looked at mine today. Pretty silly design but there’s a ridge at the bottom of the base that holds water and has began rusting. Mine has been covered since day 2 and I have only used it two times. I’ve also already coated with some rust inhibitor. Just went over the bottom edge again after cleaning it up but a bit disappointed.
Mine has been outside uncovered for weeks. No rust. Maybe YMMV?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2623 posts
3724 upvotes
GTA
Twism wrote: Does the length of the hose affect the output of flames? Most conversion kits come with 6-10ft hose. I would like to purchase a 20ft hose and use that instead.
Hose length does not matter in this case. There are many feet of pipe in your house already. Another 10’ won’t make a difference.
100’ might, 10’ won’t.

For those really interested, there are various online calculators on NG pipe sizing for BtU ratings and pipe length. They can get confusing with multiple appliances branching off at different lengths. Generally (YMMV) adding one more small draw appliance (like a BBQ) will likely be fine. Adding more than one may not be as good (they will still work, but if too many are on at once, all get less gas and thus less heat).
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1190 upvotes
Vancouver
Hug this while sleep
Thanks. Op

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)