Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

HDX 2-pack sawhorse $14.94

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2018 11:26 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1600 posts
950 upvotes
GTA
I bought it... Going to be doing the deck in a few weeks.. figured why not.. for the price..
Got home took it out the car.. Within 10 mins I used it for something else.. they are stable and strong..

Just have to set up the legs properly.. aka it's the same way you setup the legs on an step ladder..
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
bobcat99 wrote: According to some here, it is.
Smeh, I'll give them a try, if they suck that bad I'll just return them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6155 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
They are cheap crap, regardless of what others say. Don't use with any sort of dangerous power tools.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
Blubbs wrote: Buy these if you have a death wish when doing circular saw cuts. I felt these at HD. Terrible. Bought two Dewalt folding sawhorses, price matched Amazon for $55 each. Now I stay alive.
Agreed. There is nothing worse (and more dangerous) than working with cheap tools and accessories.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
N8Magic wrote: Agreed. There is nothing worse (and more dangerous) than working with cheap tools and accessories.
If you've got unlimited funds and you're so danger-averse that you never buy anything that's cheap and just barely good enough, then why aren't you paying a pro contractor to do all the work? That's much safer.
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON
flexsingh wrote: +1 picked 2 of these up a month or so ago at $12.99 each.
I have the CT ones. (got them on sale for $10.99)
FYI, they "feel" much sturdier, but in reality, they aren't that strong either.

I was unloading a 300lb tool chest from my car. Mistakenly let all the weight sit on 1 side of the sawhorse and the metal pieces connecting the 2 leg and body was completely bent and the stand fell down.
Definitely user error because all the weight were all on 1 side of the sawhorse and there was probably has some lateral force on it too.
But just to show, they aren't that strong either.

Pretty sure they are still stronger than the cheap plastic ones tho, so if you dont' need the portability, I think they are a better choice at $12 than the $7.5 plastic.

In the end, key thing with sawhorse is to set it up properly on the ground.
You can have a 2000lb+ sawhorse, that if you dont' sit the leg properly, will come crashing down with <100lb weight on top.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6155 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
Exp315 wrote: If you've got unlimited funds and you're so danger-averse that you never buy anything that's cheap and just barely good enough, then why aren't you paying a pro contractor to do all the work? That's much safer.
What a ridiculous statement. You can buy very nice tools that will last your whole life for the cost of labour of one small project.

Also you don't need to buy high end to get something safe. But you do need to spend the money to get to the mid grade on some products.
Feb 2, 2015
675 posts
1217 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I'd suggest looking on Kijiji or local garage sale, getting a quality set of sturdy sawhorses used for about the same price. Definitely the type of item that some people get rid of right after the job is done.
Last edited by ajdeals on Jul 9th, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 25, 2010
445 posts
455 upvotes
HALIFAX
pinkdonut wrote: What were you putting on them...!??

I agree they are the cheapest of sawhorse is extremely flimsy compare to most metal sawhorse.
But I can't imagine them ever breaking or failing with a sheet of plywood on them (4x8 sheet weight around 50lb, 10% of their rated capacity)
And most people aren't putting a slab of stone or stacking few hundred lbs on them.

I have both metal and the cheap HDX ones at home. I found myself using the cheap plastic ones way more often because it is light and portable.
It is much easier to move it around in side the house and unlike the metal ones, you won't get a chip on your drywall if you accidentally bump it on the wall.
The metal ones also needs way more time to setup compare to the plastic ones where you just unfold it.

The plastic on them do flex a bit, so when you unfold them you have to make sure all 4 legs are sitted stable on the floor first
They are light and the clips that keep the legs folded out break or buckle, then the slightest bump makes the legs fold down and everything collapses. Even for painting trim, these suck.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: What a ridiculous statement. You can buy very nice tools that will last your whole life for the cost of labour of one small project.
... and you end up with a garage full of very nice (and very expensive) tools that you may use one time for one small project. You undoubtedly took time to shop for the tools, learned how to use them, bought all the accessories you needed, and took then took the small but significant risk of doing the work yourself. Then the tools will take up the space to store them for years (or decades) to come, and you'll end up disposing of them for pennies on the dollar many years from now.

Or you can be sensible and selective, paying for top-quality tools only when it's justified by the amount of use you're going to get from them, making do with cheap-but-good-enough for the stuff you're only going to use a few times, and paying a contractor when the investment or risk for you to do the job isn't worth it.

I think it's ridiculous to say that you should always buy top-quality tools.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6155 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
Exp315 wrote: ... and you end up with a garage full of very nice (and very expensive) tools that you may use one time for one small project. You undoubtedly took time to shop for the tools, learned how to use them, bought all the accessories you needed, and took then took the small but significant risk of doing the work yourself. Then the tools will take up the space to store them for years (or decades) to come, and you'll end up disposing of them for pennies on the dollar many years from now.

Or you can be sensible and selective, paying for top-quality tools only when it's justified by the amount of use you're going to get from them, making do with cheap-but-good-enough for the stuff you're only going to use a few times, and paying a contractor when the investment or risk for you to do the job isn't worth it.

I think it's ridiculous to say that you should always buy top-quality tools.
You're quite the propagandist eh? Cut out the part in your quote of me where I mentioned that you don't need to buy top quality, then created a straw man to attack with that last line. Lol. Dork.

I have no problem with people who choose to hire contractors. Nor people who buy cheap tools if they are safe. These saw horses are not safe if you are using a circular saw or other dangerous tool with them. Table saws with wobbly plastic fences are not safe. Tons of other cheap black and decker tools are safe and I have no problem with them. Nice, safe used tools are also good value.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
Got my ladder from prime cable and paid 100 and it can do a lot more plus it can change into different ways to do the diy jobs

I’ve used it plenty of times and love it plus I got free shipping too

I actually bought these too it’s great for those small jobs
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1363 posts
336 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
Blubbs wrote: If you want good quality stuff so you don't die, look at these, I had HD price match:

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DWST11155- ... walt+horse

They fold up tiny. I don't skimp out when it comes to basic safety stuff, same reason you don't buy a cheap table saw with a flimsy fence. Your life is on the line.
I could use another couple of quality sawhorses but could I easily attach 2 x 4s to the top of these (so you can saw through the material into the sawhorse)? At the very least I imagine this would interfere with the folding mechanism?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6155 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
Ctrl-Z wrote: I could use another couple of quality sawhorses but could I easily attach 2 x 4s to the top of these (so you can saw through the material into the sawhorse)? At the very least I imagine this would interfere with the folding mechanism?
Yep, there are grooves for 2x4s:

They also latch together to be carried with a single handle.
Apr 2, 2009
333 posts
388 upvotes
vancouver
Exp315 wrote: What's the issue? They collapse too easily? Don't you put some planks across them and then slide your work piece on top of the planks?
They're very light duty and wobble way too easily; if you're using power tools to work material on top of these, unstable surfaces yield sloppy cuts or potential personal injury. If you drop a piece of plywood on top of a pair, they'd probably buckle. Description says 500lb capacity per pair, but I'd be hesitant to put any more than 50 lbs on these, and no way would I attempt to use them as a human support structure (though they'd probably work well for back yard wrestling). Good for painting trim, doors, etc (what I've used them for in the past).

If you want to use as scaffold, buy steel sawhorses.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)