Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Honeywell RTH7500D 7-Day Programmable Thermostat - $30 YMMV instore only

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3005 posts
1557 upvotes
Calgary

[Home Depot] Honeywell RTH7500D 7-Day Programmable Thermostat - $30 YMMV instore only

My old(er) Ritetemp touchscreen thermostat in my old house went on the fritz (touchscreen is failing) & I waltz into homedepot 1/2hr ago & saw this basic Honeywell rth7500d 7 day programmable thermostat on clearance @$30! Could be wrong but I believe they were going for over $60 ($89 at amazon).

Reviews seems good & install seems even easier. I dont have a C wire (2 wire heat only system in my old house) & this thermostat dont need it. As far as I know, it takes power direct from the furnace (R/W) & the 2 AA batteries are only for backup. Good deal for a basic thermostat for those who don't want wifi or other fancy smancy options.

update: just installed it & it took me a whole 15mins which included drilling 2 new holes to mount the base. programming while not the most intuitive, isnt that complicated either. works fine on my 2 wire system (heat only) but there's lots of options for heat/ac cool/multistage heat&cool, etc etc. all in all, a super easy install :)
19 replies
Oct 30, 2015
49 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver
Just as an info: Does not work with electric baseboard heat (120-240V).
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1752 posts
137 upvotes
Maybe if you install a low voltage transformer and a relay :P but obviously that's extra work.

I thought that typical thermostats wouldn't be capable of 120/240V, and you'd need a contractor for that to work...
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1873 posts
1534 upvotes
Does 7-day programmable mean it can program each day of the week individually?

I have a 5+2 right now and am looking for something more flexible.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3005 posts
1557 upvotes
Calgary
13inches wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 12:18 am
Does 7-day programmable mean it can program each day of the week individually?

I have a 5+2 right now and am looking for something more flexible.
yup 7 day programmable is exactly that - 7 days individually programmable Winking Face. I actually picked up the 5+2 (@$50) & installed it 1st but I found the controls & thermostat module very flimsy. I took it back to see if there's something else better & saw this one on sale for $20 less. ofcos its a no brainer to try it out.

discovered that not only is the rth7500 a 7 day programmable, its also much better built & has a current temp indicator inaddition to the set temp, it also has a built in battery charged by the furnace w&r wires making it a zero maintenance proposition. luckily, the base screw holes match exactly with the 5+2 so no further damage to my wall as well making it a win win Smiling Face With Open Mouth

edit: forgot to mention that this thermostat also has a recovery mode which for eg, if u set a temp (eg 20c) for waking at 7.30am from the sleep temp of 17c, this thermostat's recovery mode turns on the furnace way before wake up time so that the temp will be at 20c at 7.30a so one doesnt have to wake up to a cold house - I like it! the only other thing on my wish list is remote wifi controls which will make it just about perfect. I actually thought long & hard about getting the nest but ultimately cant justify the price difference just for wifi.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1873 posts
1534 upvotes
Reading the reviews on the HomeDepot US site is giving me second-thoughts. Overall it's rated well, however the low ratings (1*, 2*) are a bit concerning.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3005 posts
1557 upvotes
Calgary
13inches wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 9:54 am
Reading the reviews on the HomeDepot US site is giving me second-thoughts. Overall it's rated well, however the low ratings (1*, 2*) are a bit concerning.
as we all know, there's always negs reviews on most anything. thing is its $30 which is even cheaper than the old (old old) school mercury mechanical thermostats. also given the fact that its from homedepot, get it try it & return if it doesnt float your boat. no need to destroy any more braincells thinking too much.

fwiw, install is a 15 min job (likely less now since I've done it) so my best advise, get it & try it out. at $30 I cant justify spending anymore for a somewhat basic thermostat as this is working really good for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4717 posts
1519 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Same price online for pickup in GTA
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2685 upvotes
ON
Considering upgrading my 5+2 to get the 7 day flexibility and auto DST.
Regular price is indeed $60. Still marked that at my local HD.
In a bin in the aisle, not on the shelf with the other thermostats. Still in the same aisle, though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3005 posts
1557 upvotes
Calgary
aqnd wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 5:57 pm
Considering upgrading my 5+2 to get the 7 day flexibility and auto DST
imo do it. its not just abit better but its another level of better. not just 7day & dst but built in battery (2xAA are for backup), better build quality & better display info. I dont think there's a better thermostat for $30. also, though the size isnt the same, the mounting holes are exactly the same so it a cinch to switch over the base plate .
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4717 posts
1519 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
What is temp swing on this?

If set at 20C will it go on at 19 or 19.5 or ?? Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3005 posts
1557 upvotes
Calgary
georvu wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 9:38 pm
What is temp swing on this?

If set at 20C will it go on at 19 or 19.5 or ?? Thanks.
dont have an ambient temp sensor so dont know how accurate the thermostat is but ambient temp is exactly set temp shown on display.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4717 posts
1519 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Local HD displayed at $60 even though online had $30... got ready to argue :) and lo and behold it scanned at $30.

Could have PMed at Lowe's but would rather buy at store that actually has on sale [unless could save big bucks with PM]

Lowe's has at $99 and HD regular price seems to be $60

Thanks.

Note: They had one on wall panel with other tstats and then a display on floor with more then a dozen.

Out of habit I checked back of several boxes and noticed some said ver A and some ver B. Got ver B but not sure what difference is. Box was same except ver A box has sticker that batteries not included while ver B had it written [no sticker]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2297 posts
922 upvotes
I bought this one a while ago for $39.99 from HD. Install it and it works well. I like it but Missus absolutely hates it. Programming the schedule is absolute pain. I'm now in the hunt for a simpler 5+2.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1809 posts
501 upvotes
Woodbridge
Thanks OP and Thanked ..Bought last 10 from my location as that is all they were left with.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.