Hot Deals

[Home Depot] [HOT] GE 6ft 4k@60hz HDR 18Gbps Premium HDMI Cable $7.48

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2019 6:54 am
Jan 15, 2012
60 posts
3 upvotes
Got some in Ancaster
Thanks op! Great price and they work fine.
Ignore all the haters...
Feb 23, 2008
776 posts
54 upvotes
I bought the 3 pack for $24 so I’d stick with Monoprice
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3654 posts
1677 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
elfion wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 10:13 am
I wish we could put these people who advocate premium HDMI cables in a room and ask them to prove that they can tell a difference between a $10 cable and a $150 cable based on a picture alone in a series of randomized A/B blind trials. I would be willing to bid money that it is not humanly possible, since I'm guessing it's something like a difference of 1 in a million frames.
What a straw men argument.

Nobody in here said there is a difference in picture quality between cable, we're saying premium cable reduce the risk of HDMI sync problem for typical full RGB or 4:4:4 signal.
Last edited by vonblock on Jun 15th, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3654 posts
1677 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
OneAndTrueHeir wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 12:12 pm
The logic doesn't fit. That only means that *your* particular cable can handle a full 18 Gbps signal. Some 10 Gbps cables might run at 18 Gbps, some won't. Most 18 Gbps will run at their full spec, faulty ones might not. But if you need a full 18 Gbps, you should buy a cable rated as such so that it has the best chance of working. And if it doesn't work, then you are fully justified to demand a replacement.

This sort of hyperbole helps absolutely nobody. There is not a single person in this thread genuinely advocating for that overpriced platinum plated, crystal embedded videophool BS. It is a simple matter of matching cable specifications to your needs.

If you have a 4k, HDR, WCG signal at 60 Hz with multichannel audio, you are pushing more than 10 Gbps down a cable. And it isn't a matter of 'oh, 1 in a million frames' is off...... if the cable bandwith is insufficient you will not get a picture at all, or you will get pixelation, sparklies, HDR will drop off, things like that.

So, it is entirely logical that you should buy a cable rated for 18 Gbps, just to be safe. You don't have to spend a ton of money, just meet the spec of the video signal you are using. And 10 Gbps cables are not rated for 4K at 60 Hz, which makes an 18 Gbps cable the correct choice.
I Remember the first time i plug my PC at 4:4:4 in my first 4k TV with a Dollarama cable, it was a green pixelated mess!

Anyway, Keep your energy.

People here won't understand the difference because the joke of a website CNET wrote in 2015 when full 18 Gbps signal was extremely rarely used told them it don't matter.

It's not a tech savvy website here, it's just Redflagdeals with your typical uncle that think he know technology because he's able to plug an HDMI cable!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3654 posts
1677 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Kleftiko wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 10:02 am
Ok the results are in, and they're good! Equipment tested on:

Xbox One X via Yamaha RX-V1083 into Sony 65X930e running a full 4K HDR10 image source

(**important to note that the tests initially failed when utilizing the front HDMI input on my model receiver even though according to the specs all ports are supposed to be the same. Might be handy info for anyone with an RX-V1083 that might be searching the internet for this issue):

20190614_080328.jpg20190614_080335.jpg20190614_080454.jpg20190614_080549.jpg20190614_080620.jpg20190614_081055.jpg

Note HDR10 'active' here:

20190614_082242.jpg
That doesn't prove anything.

First because an HDR signal from an Xbox is only 4:2:2 at 10 bits.

This is only about 15.1 Gbps, much less than 18 Gbps.

It's impossible to have an HDR signal 10 bits 60hz with 4:4:4 or full RGB on HDMI 2.0

Second HDMI sync problem does not occur everytime, but mostly during specific data throughput. It can work perfectly for 40 hours and suddenly you start notifying a flickering, or audio drop.
Last edited by vonblock on Jun 15th, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 29, 2013
800 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
When a manufacturer is selling a 4k hdr cable what should I be looking for? To cut out the jargon and marketing bs companies use to actually focus on if one cable can support the latest and greatest picture that my computer can output?
Dec 14, 2017
186 posts
144 upvotes
Monoprice ones good? Post what you recommend.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3654 posts
1677 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
7865875 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 5:43 pm
Monoprice ones good? Post what you recommend.
Monoprice 115427 Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, 3ft, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01GCGKBWC/ref ... bDbCYKJGAG

Cheap, never had any more HDMI sync problem or audio drop with those.

Especially useful if you want more than 3 foot long.

Again I'm not saying the one from OP will give you dropped frame, just that those cable are a peace of mind. Also bad batch exist.

It look like the new HDMI 2.1 cable are also great, but have no information on them.
Dec 27, 2007
18218 posts
9366 upvotes
Kitchener
vonblock wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 7:11 am
The HDMI 2.0 specification was released in 2013, and revised into HDMI 2.0a in 2015 and then HDMI 2.0b in 2016. This specification increased the maximum bandwidth of HDMI cables from 10.2Gbps to 18Gbps.
Sorry for the late reply, but any passive "certified" high-speed cable "should" be able to handle the increase in bandwidth (18 Gbps) for lengths 2~3 meters (an active cable would typically work for longer runs), thats the reason the "high speed" certification withstood the HDMI updates, so the premium certificate at 6ft (length of this cable) doesn't add much, beside a laminated sticker, again these cables are not individually tested so there is no guarantee they won't be susceptible to manufacturing defects (even with the label stickered on them).

As I said earlier, it's not a debate worth having for a $7 cable, it's just that there is that misconception many people try to pass every once in a while as if a premium certificate is some golden standard for quality control (which couldn't be further from the truth, the premium certification works just like the high speed one, 100% manufacturer staged with 0 verification or monitoring from the HDMI organization, you just get your samples of your "own choice" tested at an authorized certification center once you get the "pass" report all it takes is paying the fees and signing some paperwork and you are good to go). True all stickered lengths are now certified under the premium program but that about the only significant difference, again with no much value for shorter runs.

Long story short I am yet to see a 4K setup (typical short runs from source to display or from source to display via an AVR) that "consistently" fails with passive certified high-speed cables and exclusively works with passive "premium certified" cables, fact is, it has been always the case, for me, that if a cheapo certified cable fails in a setup, the next cheapo one is more likely to work for the same setup than not (assuming the mass-produced cables are of enough resemblance to the samples that were submitted to the test centers for certification).

Edit: side note, you need to pass HDMI 2.0 testing (which is HDMI 1.4b+ 2.0 extension) to enroll in the "premium high-speed certification" program, but you don't need to be enrolled in the "premium high-speed certification" program to pass HDMI 2.0 testing. The manufacturer can opt not to join the "premium high-speed certification" (to cut royalties) yet passes HDMI 2.0 test and get "high-speed certified".
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3654 posts
1677 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
sirisak wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 1:00 am
I am in market looking for 30 feet HDMI cable. I am eyeing at 2 different cables from monoprice

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07D7L ... EEQB&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Active- ... DDFBY3XTFM

While the second one states as Active HDMI cable and considering the long distance(30 feet)...does it really matter ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
For that little price difference, i would go active, especially at 30'

Otherwise you can buy a non active, test it and return it if you get picture-audio drop.

The review look bad though for the active. Not sure if it's because people did not plug it correctly. Those cable are unidirectional, one go in TV, other in source.