Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Korky Quietfill Toilet Fill Valve $14.04

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2019 1:13 am
Apr 3, 2010
425 posts
431 upvotes
I'd say the flapper too. Rubber parts rot when immersed in water for too many years. Open the tank and touch the flapper. If your fingers turn black, you should absolutely replace it, and see if that fixes your problem. It could also be the rubber seal that holds the drain valve to the ceramic of the tank. That's a harder fix, because you'd have to do some disassembly to replace it. Try the flapper disc first.
Jul 23, 2018
142 posts
72 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: The flapper isn't closing fully and allowing water to keep on draining out of the tank. Check to see why the flapper is not blocking the drain hole.
superfigz wrote: Check the flap that is attached to the lever and the chain that goes to the flap. If the flap is not making a proper "seal" when closing, it might just keep running. Also check the chain attached to the flap, some of them may get caught in a "knot" when you press the lever and need to be de-tangled.
raskal wrote: my guess is as above, the flapper.
my bet would be a rotting flapper.
You need to determine the type of flapper it is before going to a store,... there are MANY types of flappers
Hotdiggety wrote: I'd say the flapper too. Rubber parts rot when immersed in water for too many years. Open the tank and touch the flapper. If your fingers turn black, you should absolutely replace it, and see if that fixes your problem. It could also be the rubber seal that holds the drain valve to the ceramic of the tank. That's a harder fix, because you'd have to do some disassembly to replace it. Try the flapper disc first.
Thanks everyone; I will check the flapper! Is water being wasted when this is happening?
May 1, 2004
679 posts
202 upvotes
Montreal
I jumped on the previous deal and semi-regret it. For one thing, it took easy 3 weeks to get the damn thing shipped to store for pickup. Second, I don’t know how they can call this “Quiet” because it’s noticeably louder than whatever OEM one I had. It also wastes quite a bit of water when filling the tank, as the overflow pipe keeps on shooting out water while the tank is filling up. Finally, it also takes quite a bit longer to fill the tank. If I had to do it again, I would have went with something else.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11596 posts
1061 upvotes
Brampton
OongaLoonga wrote: Thanks everyone; I will check the flapper! Is water being wasted when this is happening?
Yes
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Aug 17, 2011
158 posts
104 upvotes
TORONTO
engineered wrote: After a flush, the fill valve fills the tank and has a small tube that partially refills the bowl. I guess the one he's suggesting can vary the flow to the bowl.

In this image, the refill tube fills the bowl through the overflow pipe.
Thanks, seeing the pic, it all makes sense.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1355 posts
294 upvotes
OongaLoonga wrote: Thanks everyone; I will check the flapper! Is water being wasted when this is happening?
Drop some food colouring in your tank and check back in 15 minutes to see if the water colour in your bowl changes.
If it does, you need to change the flapper. To answer you question, If you see colour in the bowl, you are continually wasting water.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13025 posts
13162 upvotes
Oakville
bobmtb wrote: I jumped on the previous deal and semi-regret it. For one thing, it took easy 3 weeks to get the damn thing shipped to store for pickup. Second, I don’t know how they can call this “Quiet” because it’s noticeably louder than whatever OEM one I had. It also wastes quite a bit of water when filling the tank, as the overflow pipe keeps on shooting out water while the tank is filling up. Finally, it also takes quite a bit longer to fill the tank. If I had to do it again, I would have went with something else.
If you don't want water filling the bowl, you can just aim the little hose into the tank to save water. You may have reduced flush performance.
Sep 3, 2002
946 posts
396 upvotes
GTA
Hotdiggety wrote: If your fingers turn black, you should absolutely replace it, and see if that fixes your problem..
Why does it turn black?
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20818 posts
147415 upvotes
GTA
Heard good things about the Fluidmaster fill valves and other replacement parts from them.
Nov 30, 2012
432 posts
367 upvotes
Burnaby
cheapmeister wrote: The flapper isn't closing fully and allowing water to keep on draining out of the tank. Check to see why the flapper is not blocking the drain hole.
Unlikely the following happens often but if if nothing seems to work ...
We were in a new build and from the start, we could tell that a small amount of water was draining out. Called the plumber who installed it over multiple times -- every time he would tweak it a bit and claim it was fixed, but it never was. After a number of months, I finally got fed up and disassembled all of the drain parts and inspected them carefully. Turns out that the silicone flapper was not quite flat -- the silicone had a "bubble" with liquid sealed inside. I took an X-acto knife to it and drained the liquid out. It's worked fine ever since.