Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Nest 'E' / Ecobee 3 Lite Thermostat - $171.88 / $187.18 (+ $100 rebate - YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 4:33 pm
[OP]
Jan 11, 2009
373 posts
294 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

[Home Depot] Nest 'E' / Ecobee 3 Lite Thermostat - $171.88 / $187.18 (+ $100 rebate - YMMV)

The Nest Thermostat E is currently on sale for $190.98 (reg. $229) @ Best Buy, you can price match @ Home Depot plus 10% off bringing down the price to $171.88 pre tax.

The Ecobee 3 lite is also available for $207.98 (reg. $219) @ Best Buy, you can price match @ Home Depot plus 10% off bringing down the price to $187.18 pre tax.

Now, if you are an Enbridge customer (I also believe there is a similar rebate program in Alberta) you get $100 in either a bill credit or rebate cheque, which will bring the "cost" down to approx $71.88 / $87.18; not too shabby. :)
Last edited by remik on Nov 9th, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
37 replies
Jan 4, 2007
26 posts
GVRD
I was refused price match. Reason "not same product" (?!)
lowes.ca model t4000ef
bestbuy.ca model a0063

Nest only makes 2 model. Original and this model e, yet in lowes rep words their is "different" model...Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
BC, Canada
Nov 28, 2013
682 posts
228 upvotes
Quebec
Difference between E and 3rd Gen?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5106 posts
764 upvotes
ratatapa wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 5:19 pm
Difference between E and 3rd Gen?
just materials

plastic vs. stainless
Jun 28, 2009
567 posts
163 upvotes
mskip wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 3:35 pm
I was refused price match. Reason "not same product" (?!)
lowes.ca model t4000ef
bestbuy.ca model a0063

Nest only makes 2 model. Original and this model e, yet in lowes rep words their is "different" model...Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Got denied earlier today at the Lowe's by Highway 7 for the same reason.

Had it gone through, it would have been scratch and save and no tax.
Mar 15, 2007
37 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
milolai wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 6:12 pm

just materials

plastic vs. stainless
Also, 3rd Gen has 8 wire connectors, E has 6. Multi speed fans won't work with the E.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2009
373 posts
294 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jceezy23 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 6:54 pm
Got denied earlier today at the Lowe's by Highway 7 for the same reason.

Had it gone through, it would have been scratch and save and no tax.
Try, and try again. I price matched at Home Depot 1 hr ago without any issues

I believe the consensus is that Lowes is anal when it comes to the model number. I say Home Depot has the best success rate.
Last edited by remik on Nov 11th, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2009
373 posts
294 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
ben35 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 5:17 pm
I'm thinking this is even a better deal for a smart thermostat:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ho ... 82040.aspx?

for $99 and the $100 rebate for Alberta paid for by carbon taxes - this themostat is free!
Yes, Im familiar with the "free" Honeywell but I prefer the specs and look of the Nest.
Nov 21, 2010
304 posts
109 upvotes
Surrey
milolai wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 6:12 pm
just materials

plastic vs. stainless
Wrong.

Screen is different as well. E also lake far sight which is super handy. E supports lesser heating/chilling systems.

Overall, a cheaper product offerings for a smaller niche audience. I personally still recommend 3rd gen over E for most people.
Oct 19, 2015
253 posts
163 upvotes
Vancouver
YMMV. Bestbuy has been giving out 15% off coupons for people who has been purchasing Smart home devices recently.

Alternatively, some BB physical stores have $40 off $400 worth of Smart home devices.
Oct 19, 2015
253 posts
163 upvotes
Vancouver
chiisana wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:13 am
Wrong.

Screen is different as well. E also lake far sight which is super handy. E supports lesser heating/chilling systems.

Overall, a cheaper product offerings for a smaller niche audience. I personally still recommend 3rd gen over E for most people.
Chiisana is right. E's display is somewhat mulky.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2009
373 posts
294 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
chiisana wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:13 am
Wrong.

I have had the E for over a month now and love it. Yes, the E supports less heating/cooling systems, and doesn't display the time when walking by, and may be plastic instead of having a metal ring, but those are not good enough reasons to recommend the 3rd gen over the E for everyone.

In my case I like that it's white with a frosted display, instead of jet black. As the saying goes "different strokes, for different folks" not everyone wants a black coloured "conversation piece" in the middle of their white wall. At the end of the day, it's still a thermostat and it does everything it's supposed to do. It might not support all heating/cooling systems, but it does support the majority.

When it comes to the "far sight" feature, that is not 100% true, it still displays the current temp and target temp when walking by, it just doesn't display the time and date like the 3rd gen. Don't most people have a clock somewhere in the room and already know what day it is?? I also like the simple display that shows the temp in either a soft blue for cooling or soft orange for heating, I find it very subtle compared to the 3rd gen which is more "in your face". It's also for these reasons I just can't justify the almost $150 price difference between the 3rd gen and the 'E', but hey "whatever floats your boat", Just my 2 cents. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2069 posts
351 upvotes
remik wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:04 am
I have had the E for over a month now and love it. Yes, the E supports less heating/cooling systems, and doesn't display the time when walking by, and may be plastic instead of having a metal ring, but those are not good enough reasons to recommend the 3rd gen over the E for everyone.

In my case I like that it's white with a frosted display, instead of jet black. As the saying goes "different strokes, for different folks" not everyone wants a black coloured "conversation piece" in the middle of their white wall. At the end of the day, it's still a thermostat and it does everything it's supposed to do. It might not support all heating/cooling systems, but it does support the majority.

When it comes to the "far sight" feature, that is not 100% true, it still displays the current temp and target temp when walking by, it just doesn't display the time and date like the 3rd gen. Don't most people have a clock somewhere in the room and already know what day it is?? I also like the simple display that shows the temp in either a soft blue for cooling or soft orange for heating, I find it very subtle compared to the 3rd gen which is more "in your face". It's also for these reasons I just can't justify the almost $150 price difference between the 3rd gen and the 'E', but hey "whatever floats your boat", Just my 2 cents. :)
I was at Best Buy recently and played with the Nest E and I was impressed. I thought I wouldn't like the white plastic and the lower res screen, but I found it perfectly functional and slick.
Nov 24, 2015
159 posts
99 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
ben35 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 5:17 pm
I'm thinking this is even a better deal for a smart thermostat:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ho ... 82040.aspx?

for $99 and the $100 rebate for Alberta paid for by carbon taxes - this themostat is free!
went this route. price matched at home depot and it was free with the $100 enbridge credit. no regrets, its a nice thermostat

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)