[Home Depot] Philips HUE Smart LED Dimmer Kit by PM Bestbuy

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 4:00 pm
[OP]
Sep 12, 2006
88 posts
61 upvotes

[Home Depot] Philips HUE Smart LED Dimmer Kit by PM Bestbuy

If you have some Philips Hue lights, this is an elegant solution instead of taping or labeling switches that aren't needed anymore.
Home Depot has it for $44.99, but price matching in store with Best Buy gives me a 10% discount so got it for $32.39.

Best buy link is https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ph ... 95306.aspx?

Just show them the Best Buy price with your phone at check out and you are good.

P.S. If you want an even more elegant add on for this, this link has a 3D print solution for a wall plate adapter where you can mount the Hue dimmer over top of the exiting switch. Absolutely no wiring required. Makes it more expensive over all solution depending on where you 3D print, but nice overall solution. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3037731
Images
  • Philips Hue dimmer discount price.JPG
  • Philips Hue Dimmer mounted with adapter plate.jpg
45 replies
Jun 29, 2009
131 posts
33 upvotes
Edmonton
How useful is the dimmer switch? I just use my google home to turn it on/off and dim. Is it pretty much just a replacement for the existing switches so you don’t accidentally switch them off and people without a google home/Alexa?
Last edited by lickmytofu on Jan 14th, 2019 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 22, 2005
75 posts
116 upvotes
North York
Where do I find a 3D print? Do they have that at Staples or something?
May 26, 2014
132 posts
116 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
lickmytofu wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 10:43 am
How useful is the dimmer switch? I just use my google home to turn it on/off and dim. Is it pretty much just a replacement for the exsisting switches so you don’t accidentally switch them off?
It's actually a little bit annoying to turn them on and off by yelling at something. It's also extremely annoying when you're trying to sleep and somebody else is yelling at something.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1346 posts
351 upvotes
Montréal, QC
lickmytofu wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 10:43 am
How useful is the dimmer switch? I just use my google home to turn it on/off and dim. Is it pretty much just a replacement for the exsisting switches so you don’t accidentally switch them off?
It's not a replacement switch, it's a seperate switch you can put anywhere you want. I put it next to the bed to turn off bedroom light without having to get up. But if you have a Google Home, it's even better!
Mar 6, 2011
41 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
Thing is that amazon one for $29.99 does not include the bulb like these sets do.
Jun 29, 2009
131 posts
33 upvotes
Edmonton
Clee wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:22 am
It's not a replacement switch, it's a seperate switch you can put anywhere you want. I put it next to the bed to turn off bedroom light without having to get up. But if you have a Google Home, it's even better!
Thanks for the info, guess this a pass for me then.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1386 posts
122 upvotes
I have a few of these setup, and find them immensely useful. No lag and they're very responsive; use them in tandem with Alexa. That said, I use them in rooms where there isn't naturally a light switch by the door or the switches are in weird places. So they were a good and easy solution to a problem I had.
May 26, 2014
132 posts
116 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
Bart123789 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:33 am
Thing is that amazon one for $29.99 does not include the bulb like these sets do.
I see that now, thanks! Edited my comment.
Mar 16, 2008
952 posts
163 upvotes
I have two of the switches and love them. Single tap to set up any scene of your choosing, and can be programmed to double-tap an additional scene if you wish. The actual unit can be removed from the back plate (it's magnetized) making it a portable remote, and can be placed on anything metal. Smart design.

I keep one right at my entrance, and another in the bedroom.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18307 posts
1765 upvotes
Niagara Falls
pencil364 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:21 am
It's actually a little bit annoying to turn them on and off by yelling at something. It's also extremely annoying when you're trying to sleep and somebody else is yelling at something.
Depending on your system there are things you can do to improve this. Google has night mode for it's assistants. I have it set to change the volume level to 10% between 10pm and 6am. That way when I ask Google to turn off my lights she no longer yells at me before bed. Its made the experience much better.
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14774 posts
1684 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
IIRC I saw it in-store for $32.99 at BB last week.

I have 2 of these setup. One in the living room and one in the bedroom (as a light switch replacement). I didn't have access to a 3D printer so i sandwiched 2 decora plates instead lol.

Both are relatively responsive but once in a while they'll lag. I have a gen 1 hue bridge located in a center of the second floor.

Edit: if anyone is interested in my ghetto mount... :razz:

1. Loosen screws off existing decora trim plate.
2. On 2nd decora trim plate, affix some sort of material to screw philips mounting plate to. In my case, I found some random metal strapping and forcefully tapped 2 screw threads.
3. Use extended screws to mount the second trim plate backwards to existing plate.
4. Screw in hue switch mounting bracket
5. Mount hue switch and done. Not that pretty but it works.