Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Rachio Iro SMART WiFi Sprinkler Controller - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2016 10:07 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham

[Home Depot] Rachio Iro SMART WiFi Sprinkler Controller - YMMV

This is the 1st. generation 8 zone model# 8ZULW-CAN. Very easy to set up and it's also WaterSense certified which a lot of other WiFi controllers are not.

The 2nd. generation is $249 at Amazon.ca

Here is a link to what's new in 2nd. generation. The core functionality is basically exactly the same but they've added a few conveniences like slightly easier setup as well as some manual controls on the unit. It's up to you to judge if it's worth the extra $100 + Tax.

Stock is drying up fast on this but make sure to call ahead and have them PHYSICALLY check the stock for you before you go in as HD is prone to phantom or lost somewhere in warehouse stock. It should be in the Clearance section and already marked down with a yellow tag.

9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1576 posts
697 upvotes
OP did you actually find one in store? I searched long and hard to find one in-store (about a month ago) only to find phantom stock everywhere. Better off PM-ing at BB.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1576 posts
697 upvotes
Thought I should chime in on my thoughts of the product for those interested:

Overall I'm very happy with the unit.

PROS: Great app interface and easy configuration and installation. Programming is a breeze if you go with option that Rachio does it all. I'm finding that it's watering much less than when I was manually programming the timing (and my grass is still green!). Really like the ability to toggle on and off the various email notifications (rain sensor activated, schedule skipped, watering successful etc.)

CONS: Setup via android was a pain with the "blinkup", borrow an iphone for the setup (as much as I hate to admit it). I now know why they did away with that in the second gen. Would be nice to have controls/display on the unit but definitely not a necessity especially if you have to pay a premium (for the 2nd gen). Don't accidentally mate the front and back of the unit together before attaching it to the wall, it's a PITA to separate (but possible). Would be nice to have a wired LAN connection as wifi is weak outside and I always prefer wired over wireless connections (just the way I am).
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
YMMV. Only 3 stores in the GTA, Yorkdale, Scarborough and Bolton.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
majikstic wrote: OP did you actually find one in store? I searched long and hard to find one in-store (about a month ago) only to find phantom stock everywhere. Better off PM-ing at BB.
I found one in Richmond Hill North about 4 weeks ago that was store clearanced down to $137. Also picked up another unit yesterday at Bolton (store said they have 5 in stock but I only see one) and happaned to have the receipt from the first purchase so they PM down to $137 from $149. Markham had 3 (Physically saw them) as of 2 weeks ago but they wouldn't PM Richmond Hill North clearance price back when it was still $183 system wide but looks like those units are already sold out.

As I said it's going quickly but you can still get lucky. My experience with HD is that usually the store inventory is actually correct but you need to find someone who would bother to go in the back and check the nooks and crannies for the units if not anywhere on the floor.
Nov 16, 2015
375 posts
291 upvotes
t.drizl
payam1981 wrote: Stock is drying up fast on this
Nailed it.
Please excuse my son, he's artistic.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
majikstic wrote: Thought I should chime in on my thoughts of the product for those interested:

PROS: Great app interface and easy configuration and installation. Programming is a breeze if you go with option that Rachio does it all. I'm finding that it's watering much less than when I was manually programming the timing (and my grass is still green!). Really like the ability to toggle on and off the various email notifications (rain sensor activated, schedule skipped, watering successful etc.)

CONS: Setup via android was a pain with the "blinkup", borrow an iphone for the setup (as much as I hate to admit it). I now know why they did away with that in the second gen. Would be nice to have controls/display on the unit but definitely not a necessity especially if you have to pay a premium (for the 2nd gen). Don't accidentally mate the front and back of the unit together before attaching it to the wall, it's a PITA to separate (but possible). Would be nice to have a wired LAN connection as wifi is weak outside and I always prefer wired over wireless connections (just the way I am).
I agree 100% with your points. I can never ever go back to manual timers and I too have been using a lot less water but still keep the grass very green. I also love that it runs zones often 2-3 times in a cycle with a soaking interval, it seems to work much better specially as I have a sloping yard, it allows the water to soak and not run-off, pretty smart!

One more Con. that I can think of is if your router WiFi goes offline for an extended period the unit won't automatically pick up the signal once it comes back up, it requires a power on/off before it picks it up. It's really stupid but is not a huge deal cause even when offline, it will revert to last program run so your lawn won't die but functionality would be crippled until the unit goes back online and starts updating with weather etc. as most people buy this to use the smart algorithm not use a physical rain sensor and fixed intervals. I put the unit on a remote controlled receptacle so that way if I'm away on vacation and some power outage manages to throw the Rachio off the WiFi signal, I can just remotely power cycle it.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1576 posts
697 upvotes
payam1981 wrote:
majikstic wrote: Thought I should chime in on my thoughts of the product for those interested:

I agree 100% with your points. I can never ever go back to manual timers and I too have been using a lot less water but still keep the grass very green. I also love that it runs zones often 2-3 times in a cycle with a soaking interval, it seems to work much better specially as I have a sloping yard, it allows the water to soak and not run-off, pretty smart!

One more Con. that I can think of is if your router WiFi goes offline for an extended period the unit won't automatically pick up the signal once it comes back up, it requires a power on/off before it picks it up. It's really stupid but is not a huge deal cause even when offline, it will revert to last program run so your lawn won't die but functionality would be crippled until the unit goes back online and starts updating with weather etc. as most people buy this to use the smart algorithm not use a physical rain sensor and fixed intervals. I put the unit on a remote controlled receptacle so that way if I'm away on vacation and some power outage manages to throw the Rachio off the WiFi signal, I can just remotely power cycle it.
I hear you on the need to power cycle on wifi signal loss. Great idea on the remote outlet idea, I just might have to copy you.
Nov 13, 2011
98 posts
59 upvotes
majikstic wrote:
payam1981 wrote:

I hear you on the need to power cycle on wifi signal loss. Great idea on the remote outlet idea, I just might have to copy you.
Whoa! Remote outlet, of course! I'm going to steal that idea too! I got mine at Home Depot West Kelowna for the above mentioned 143.00. Great Deal. The main reason I got mine was because the sprinkler controller is in my basement suite (tenant occupied) so it's a pain in the butt to ask him to adjust sprinkler timings etc. when I need them changed. This way, I can do it from upstairs myself. I was ab it concerned about wifi loss, etc. But the remote outlet should solve that problem. Great Idea. Thanks.