Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Ridgid 18v Gen5x 5 piece +extra battery $359 reg $667

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2016 1:56 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1363 posts
336 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
Mixam wrote:
Ctrl-Z wrote: I stopped buying Ridgid tools some time ago when I discovered their lifetime warranty refers to whatever lifetime they want to assign to a particular tool. They generally don't make available a lot of warranty replacement parts once they discontinue a line of tools and your LSA eventually becomes useless.
Thanks for your post, I appreciate the input. I've never had experience using the LSA as I forgot to register my first Ridgid tool. I still love my nicad drill, aside from one of the two batteries dying, very happy with it. Even with one battery though it works great and the chargers for ridgid are fast. The old charger charged my battery in 15-20 mins from dead. When i still had two batteries, by the time one ran out the other was always charged.

I almost bought a few other brands since then till i read the reviews and found out how long the batteries took to charge. Some of the good brands also quick charge, although not as fast as Ridgid. But the ones cheaper or comparable in price take forever charge and have notoriously bad batteries.

Ridgid does really well in comparisons with other cordless tools like DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Makita. At the same price, I might choose Ridgid just because of the faster charging and LSA. But it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the other brands that are comparable right now.

Only tools that usually are comparable in price are Mastercraft, Ryobi, Kobalt, etc. Basically Ridgid is comparable in price to the other crappy house brands but in quality and performance to the good brands. It's not the cheapest, it's not the best, but when you buy Ridgid, especially when on sale, it's the best value you can get in my opinion.
I own and use a lot of cordless tools (primarily Makita 18v but also Ridgid, Ryobi and Milwaukee (12v). I have pretty much all the cordless tools I can foresee having a use for but there's a part of me that wishes I could start over from scratch. If that were to happen, I would undoubtedly buy the Milwaukee 18v line (preferably their Fuel line) even though I currently own not a single one of that particular line. That's because of my experience with their 12v line and excellent reviews in professional circles and because Milwaukee is the only manufacturer who makes their own motors and their own batteries.

This is a good sale for Ridgid tools but every manufacturer will have good sales on every so often. Personally I despise Ridgid for their misleading warranty coverage (the last time they pretended they didn't have my lifetime warranty registration even though I had previously used it!) and Home Depot in general. Good luck with your purchase though.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1320 posts
314 upvotes
oujifye wrote: I recently had to warranty a 5 year old battery and I was told that I had to leave my whole kit with the repair shop to test for 2 weeks before they can determine if it's really dead or not. =\

edit: drill kit; drill + 2 batteries + charger
Inno wrote:
oujifye wrote: I recently had to warranty a 5 year old battery and I was told that I had to leave my whole kit with the repair shop to test for 2 weeks before they can determine if it's really dead or not. =\

edit: drill kit; drill + 2 batteries + charger
Which repair shop?

I returned two batteries to the one in Oshawa and they didn't even test.
Ctrl-Z wrote: I stopped buying Ridgid tools some time ago when I discovered their lifetime warranty refers to whatever lifetime they want to assign to a particular tool. They generally don't make available a lot of warranty replacement parts once they discontinue a line of tools and your LSA eventually becomes useless.
That is crazy to have to give the entire tool kit for them to test for the bad battery. 2 weeks is an eternity if you are on a job with a deadline. One would just go out and get a new battery asap to continue the job.

I am glad I too didn't go with Ridgid when I transitioned from my old Mastercraft tool. Most are Milwaukee M18s now and I am thinking of getting some of the M12.
Jul 31, 2009
516 posts
296 upvotes
Ottawa
Inno wrote: Which repair shop?

engmsf wrote: That is crazy to have to give the entire tool kit for them to test for the bad battery. 2 weeks is an eternity if you are on a job with a deadline. One would just go out and get a new battery asap to continue the job.
Yeah, it does suck since I actually need it atm.

This is at Mytek power tools in Ottawa, they said 2 weeks was ridgid's idea.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
oujifye wrote:

engmsf wrote: That is crazy to have to give the entire tool kit for them to test for the bad battery. 2 weeks is an eternity if you are on a job with a deadline. One would just go out and get a new battery asap to continue the job.

In this scenario it would be reasonable for them to give you a loaner.

Does it really take two weeks to confirm a dead battery? I can diagnose one in a few minutes after putting it on a charger.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
oujifye wrote:

In this scenario it would be reasonable for them to give you a loaner.

Does it really take two weeks to confirm a dead battery? I can diagnose one in a few minutes after putting it on a charger.
Jul 31, 2009
516 posts
296 upvotes
Ottawa
I already borrowed a kit from a friend.

It's not really worth my time to argue with the middleman (mytek), I just won't buy ridgid anymore. That is assuming the 2 weeks is really their idea and not mytek's.
Jul 16, 2003
617 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
oujifye wrote: I already borrowed a kit from a friend.

It's not really worth my time to argue with the middleman (mytek), I just won't buy ridgid anymore. That is assuming the 2 weeks is really their idea and not mytek's.
You could likely have just brought the dead battery to the tool rental desk to get a replacement. Apparently some of them do that. It's supposed to be quite fast if you do that. Not sure if all of them do it though or just some. Unfortunately some of the ridgid certified repair shops are pretty crappy from what I've heard.
Lucky Mobile $20/m 3Gb (unlimited at 128Kbps)
Rocking a Pixel 6A for $299 till Google makes a better finger print scanner
Jul 31, 2009
516 posts
296 upvotes
Ottawa
Mixam wrote: You could likely have just brought the dead battery to the tool rental desk to get a replacement. Apparently some of them do that. It's supposed to be quite fast if you do that. Not sure if all of them do it though or just some. Unfortunately some of the ridgid certified repair shops are pretty crappy from what I've heard.
I called ahead and that's what they said I needed to bring
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1320 posts
314 upvotes
Mixam wrote:
oujifye wrote: I already borrowed a kit from a friend.

You could likely have just brought the dead battery to the tool rental desk to get a replacement. Apparently some of them do that. It's supposed to be quite fast if you do that. Not sure if all of them do it though or just some. Unfortunately some of the ridgid certified repair shops are pretty crappy from what I've heard.
In Canada it is crappy and you hear these stories about having to drop the entire tool kit for inspection with the dead battery. Imagine you are missing just one of the tool from this 5 kit? They won't take it back, or so I hear.
Jul 16, 2003
617 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
The 10% with HD credit card is back!
May 21, 2002
775 posts
212 upvotes
Is this dead ? Anyone have a link to last weeks flyer with the deal? I think it said two weeks but I don't see it in this weeks flyer.
Jul 16, 2003
617 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
99SiR wrote: Is this dead ? Anyone have a link to last weeks flyer with the deal? I think it said two weeks but I don't see it in this weeks flyer.
Still alive. Courtesy of drfritz from several pages back in the thread this is the link fixed to home depot...

Still shows its good till October 26 at the link

And the 10% here
May 21, 2002
775 posts
212 upvotes
Thanks got this deal with the extra batt but just $400 may refund the battery as I don't really need it. Looks like now it's $500. Thanks OP this will be my lifetime backup set although I find myself using these tools first over my dewalts.
Jul 16, 2003
617 posts
272 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
99SiR wrote: Thanks got this deal with the extra batt but just $400 may refund the battery as I don't really need it. Looks like now it's $500. Thanks OP this will be my lifetime backup set although I find myself using these tools first over my dewalts.
You're welcome. Well it couldn't last forever, I'm still pretty sure it was a price error. And actually it used to be $569 before it dropped to $399 for a few weeks. So still cheaper than it used to be. But $399 - 10% and a free battery (I returned mine for like $75) made for one sweet deal.