[Home Depot] RIDGID GEN5X 18V Brushless Cordless Drill/Impact + Free Tool $248

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2018 8:36 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2872 posts
627 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
If anyone is in the Burlington/Hamilton area and only interested in the drill and impact send me a message. I'm interested in the circular saw and grinder and would be willing to work a deal out to buy that tool from you thus reducing your cost on the drill/impact. I'm only after the tools themselves and well stocked in chargers and batteries already.
Jan 28, 2005
24 posts
19 upvotes
GVR
Anyone have experience with this hammer drill? I jumped on this deal because I am planning to use this to attach a subfloor to the basement concrete.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2872 posts
627 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
hey_hero wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 8:34 am
Anyone have experience with this hammer drill? I jumped on this deal because I am planning to use this to attach a subfloor to the basement concrete.
I have as I have this set. To be honest I feel a hammer drill that is not an SDS is impractical for most jobs. I use this on hammer if I need to install a few tapcons at most. Anything more and I reach for an SDS drill as it is substantially quicker and easier. Depending on the size of your job I'd definitely consider renting or purchasing an SDS drill. This guy will take you quite a while to do a lot of holes.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2766 upvotes
kenderu wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 10:52 am
Would the impact driver be enough to take lug nuts off a car? Hard to justify an impact wrench for taking swapping wheels twice a year.
Probably not.

I agree it's hard to justify an impact wrench for the average home user. For the couple of seconds that it takes to break the lug nuts free manually with a breaker bar or just the lug nut wrench that came with your car, I can't imagine why people want to buy an expensive tool just for that purpose. Waste of money unless you're doing it all day, every day - in which case you probably want air tools.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2766 upvotes
hey_hero wrote:
I have the Gen5X hammer drill and 7 1/4" circular saw.

The hammer drill is powerful and not too bulky. I prefer my Milwaukee M12 drill, but I occasionally use the Ridgid drill when I need more power. Usually the M12 has no problem driving 3" screws in softwood, but it did bog down recently when I was trying to drive 3.5" screws through two layers of especially dense pressure-treated 2x4, and I had to use the Ridgid. Also when I was driving an 8" lag screw through a fence post to tie it to another post. Minor defects: it jumps from zero to about 25% speed instead of ramping up smoothly with fine trigger control like my M12 drill. And, as many users complain, bits tend to come loose in the chuck after brief use.

The hammer function works - I've used it to drill a few holes through concrete - but the vibration level is pretty spectacular. It's hard enough to hold it, and hard to believe that it's not going to wear the drill out fast if you do much of that.

As for the circular saw, it's a great tool to have at the price I got it ($75 for the hammer drill + circular saw + 2ah and 4ah batteries). It has good battery life for typical cutting. But in a general comparison review of cordless circular saws a few drawbacks were noted that I would agree with: the blade spins a bit slower than smaller 6 1/2" cordless saws, so it cuts a bit slower. And the testers noted that it has a tendency to wander off-line and bind in the cut.
Feb 28, 2016
725 posts
394 upvotes
I've got this is exact drill, with a 4AH battery though. I drilled over 100 3/16" holes in cinder blocks without issue. I also used it to drill 3/8" holes in concrete, this was a bit more of a challenge though once you hit stones.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47232 posts
5166 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah i don't think an impact driver will be able to take it off. I torqued my tires to around 80 ft lbs and used my DeWalt impact driver (20v, 4 or 5 amp battery, impact sockets too) and it was taking long that i could have just used a breaker bar and get them off quicker, heck the batter probably wouldn't have lasted for all 4 tires out and in.. Impact wrench is the way to go if you can find one on sale which is what i'm trying to do, but don't want to spend too much for something you do twice a year.

So i just do the following now with my impact driver:
1. Use breaker bar to loosen lug nuts
2. Use impact driver and unscrew the lugs to make things quicker
3. Use impact driver and screw back in the lugs until they're snug and ready to be torqued (make sure to hand screw in lugs first to prevent cross threading)
May 22, 2012
460 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
hey_hero wrote:
I used this set to attach sill plates to the basement floor with tapcons and it worked pretty well.

I bought this set last month with the free 2.0amp battery, wish I was able to get a free tool instead, haven't even opened the battery yet lol
May 26, 2014
181 posts
169 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 9:54 am
So i just do the following now with my impact driver:
1. Use breaker bar to loosen lug nuts
2. Use impact driver and unscrew the lugs to make things quicker
3. Use impact driver and screw back in the lugs until they're snug and ready to be torqued (make sure to hand screw in lugs first to prevent cross threading)
+1. It takes one extra minute to break all four tires right at the start of your change. Unless you're putting winters on your F1 car, I can't see the practicality of a proper impact wrench for this purpose.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1101 posts
443 upvotes
Does anyone know the return value for the free tools?
Was curious how much drill set would end up
Feb 9, 2003
148 posts
143 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 11:28 am
You can't return the freebies i don't think, either all or none. You can maybe sell the free tool to someone else on RFD lol.
The reality is that YMMV when it comes to returning the free tools. I have seen some customer returns that
are treated as a cash purchase without the receipt and then a store credit is given for the lowest amount.

As per the HD Return Policy;

Returns Without a Sales Receipt

If we are unable to look up your receipt because you did not pay with one of the options listed above, a Store Credit or credit to your Home Depot Commercial credit account may be issued based on the lowest selling price.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2766 upvotes
JIB9022 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 10:49 am
Usually HD spreads the overall discount percentage evenly across all the tools and batteries purchased as a bundle to give you a "return value" right on the receipt.
Jul 31, 2009
446 posts
176 upvotes
Ottawa
JIB9022 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 10:49 am
The max refund of each item is calculated using the percentage of your total purchase at their regular price.

Example:
drill/impact set = $248
circular saw = $198
total = $446
total after discount = $248

circular saw worth = $198/446 = ~0.443*$248 = ~$110
drill/impact set worth = $248/446 = ~0.556*$248 = ~$138
Jul 16, 2017
151 posts
116 upvotes
Thanks OP. It was time for me to upgrade, and these are great tools.

Love the Ridgid warranty, make sure you register your new tools for their lifetime service plan!