Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Ring Doorbell Pro - $253.23 after BB PM

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2017 7:55 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2225 posts
765 upvotes
Halton
VTECMAN wrote: So my first one was defective.. I just exchanged it at best buy since i was within their exchange period.

I seem to have connectivity issues 1 out of 10 times I try to connect.. But the wifi is good. Thoughts?
My first one was a dud too. Ring support is miles above anyone else.. absolutely fantastic! They're shipping me a new one with pre-paid return for the defective.
They think the firmware on mine is mostly likely corrupt or missing.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
VTECMAN wrote: I seem to have connectivity issues 1 out of 10 times I try to connect.. But the wifi is good. Thoughts?
I find that the connectivity varies by time of day. For a period every afternoon I can't connect for Live View, but motion and doorbell alerts still work with a live video stream. I suspect that Ring's servers are getting overloaded with the increasing volume of new customers, and when they get overloaded they dump Live View requests.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5680 posts
3098 upvotes
Vancouver
so I have existing doorbell but its disconnected right now and there is no chime inside the house ( I have a cheapy wireless one installed) I checked my transformer and its still live by using those mulitmeters; I'm getting a reading of 19. So if I connect the Ring do I need to buy the wifi enabled chime and plug into outlet
😃
Dec 10, 2005
773 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
Faith24 wrote: I find that the connectivity varies by time of day. For a period every afternoon I can't connect for Live View, but motion and doorbell alerts still work with a live video stream. I suspect that Ring's servers are getting overloaded with the increasing volume of new customers, and when they get overloaded they dump Live View requests.
This is exactly whats happening to me...
Apr 1, 2010
79 posts
86 upvotes
those of you having issues connecting with liveview, are you connected to your router via 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

I just replaced my year old Ring doorbell with the Ring Pro.. Although I was mostly pleased with the standard Ring, It's performance was inconsistent.. Liveview sometimes not working, stuttering videos, poor motion detection. At first I thought it could have been due to poor wi-fi signal..My rssi was around -57.. I installed the Ring Chime Pro with wifi extender and my rssi went down to -43 , however I still had the same issues. When when liveview did work, it would take around 10 seconds before the livefeed actually came up on the screen.

I installed the Ring Pro and this time connected it to my 5ghz wifi channel .. the signal was worse, showing rssi of -59, however there was no stuttering of video.. clicking on liveview brought up the live feed within a couple of seconds.. I connected the Ring Pro to my 2.4ghz channel.. although it was better than the old standard Ring unit, it was not as smooth as when I was connected to the 5ghz channel, even though it had a stronger signal..

I've realized that my particular router's 2.4ghz channel kind of sucks.. okay for everyday browsing, however all requests by devices connected to it had delays..
Attaching the Ring Chime PRO to increase signal strength didn't work because it is only capable of connecting to the same 2.4ghz channel that was giving me issues with in the first place..

So for those of you who are experiencing issues, if you have a Ring PRO, try using the 5ghz channel.. if you have a non PRO unit that only has 2.4ghz, don't rule out your router may be the cause..

By the way, the Ring PRO is definitely worth the extra money. The video's may not be truly 1080p, however it is an improvement over the standard Ring.. Also the definable areas for motion detection is vastly improved over the standard Ring.. If your doorbell faces a busy street with cars going by, it was impossible to set motion detection reliably with the standard Pro, I would get may false triggers everyday due to cars driving by.. decreasing the sensitivity to stop the false triggers basically made motion detection pointless. With the Ring Pro, I have gotten no false triggers and can actually capture motion from the end of my driveway, vs my front steps ..
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
Ok, I'm getting a little exasperated with Ring. This product is just not ready for the market, even after a couple of years of development.

In addition to the previously-mentioned issues: setup problems, unable to connect to Live View at certain times of day, broken audio, and useless motion-sensing adjustments, I've noticed more today:

The enable/disable motion alarm is NOT per device, it's per client app. So if you know you're going to be moving around the front door, you can disable motion sensing from your phone - but it will continue to alarm on any other phone until they also disable motion sensing. That's not right.

On my tablet the Ring app usually (but not always) auto-answers Ring motion notifications and displays the live view without any intervention. It will then proceed to record the live view for > 10 minutes. Ring's tech support response: "it shouldn't do that". Really?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1340 posts
1431 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
ballashotcaller wrote: I need a corner kit for the pro since it's right in a door corner. Can't seem to find one locally. Any ideas for DIY?
Only place I was able to buy it was online from Aartech.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1340 posts
1431 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
I've had the Ring Pro for about 2 months now and have been very happy with it. It's connected to my router via 5Ghz channel, which is about 30 feet away from my door with about 3 drywalls in between. I think it generally works well in most home situations, but if you're experiencing issues, there are a lot of factors at play such as transformer hardware, wireless interference, internet speed, router hardware, location of door bell, etc. My suggestion is to give it a good week to try it out and mess around with it. If you're experiencing any issues within that week, contact customer service and see what they can do to troubleshoot it. Then make a decision after that.

The motion detection and subsequent notification is very good. For those of you who are photogs, it's using contrast detection/comparison to detect motion. I've set my motion zones so that it only detects my sidewalk. But anytime there's a big contrast change in the overall field of view, it will register as a motion. This happens when a big white or black box van drives past my house during the day; at night when the neighbours come home and their headlight bounces off my siding, and lastly when the pro goes into night mode and the infrared camera turns on. Depending on how shaded your front door area is, and if there's a big contrast between the foreground and background, the pro doorbell will sometimes get stuck in night mode even though there's plenty of ambient light such as early morning or late dusk. You can contact customer service, and they will live view into your doorbell and can adjust the sensitivity of the night mode.

Again, very happy with my purchase, and at $30 USD/year subscription, it's well worth it. I've installed it for my other family members and they have been very happy with it as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1340 posts
1431 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
Avisnak wrote: 10-15 seconds delay, isn't that's bad?
In my setup, the delay is only about 2 seconds at most. I know because it constantly alerts me when I'm watering the front lawn, or doing yardwork and passing by the doorbell.
Last edited by dingmah on Jun 11th, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1340 posts
1431 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
For those of you who have to mount it on vinyl siding, but if you did, it would be angled upwards... you can buy a siding mounting block to mount it on, instead of buying the Ring wedge kit.
I bought a scalloped mounting block from Home Hardware for $10 (http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... &Ntt=block), screwed that over top of the vinyl siding, then mounted my Ring Pro to that. The mounting block can be mounted to Double 4, 5, 6-8 and 10, triple 3" and dutch lap siding.

Out here in Alberta, it seems that the only place you can buy a over vinyl mounting siding block is at Home Hardware. Home Depot, Lowes & Rona doesn't sell anything else similar. If you know a vinyl installer, you can buy it from distributor/wholesalers that don't sell to the general public. If you know how to work on vinyl, you can buying a J channel mounting block and trim out the vinyl and install a mounting block over top where your doorbell wire comes out. By going this route, you can find mounting blocks at Lowes that are color matched to your existing siding.

This is what the finished product with the mount over siding block looks like:
May 1, 2006
107 posts
7 upvotes
I don't know if that has been discussed before. But I had issues connecting to Lifeview while using my Telus LTE. But didn't have such issues if I was on wifi. I spent several hours trying to pin point the issue. I thought the router had a firewall issues etc. Eventually, I found that Telus has APN configured to IPv6 only. I had to change APN settings to include IPv4/6. Now everything is working just fine.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
Having problems accessing Live View on your Ring Doorbell for several hours at a time? Events not showing up in the event log for several hours?

If you check Ring's status page, it always shows everything as "operational", but if you scroll down to the log it's clear that they are having server load problems every day, forcing them to limit services while they catch up. It looks like they de-prioritize Live View in order to keep handling doorbell events, and they delay processing and posting of events until later in the day when their servers have time to catch up.

This is the big drawback of buying a product that is dependent on proprietary servers.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
Faith24 wrote: Having problems accessing Live View on your Ring Doorbell for several hours at a time? Events not showing up in the event log for several hours?

If you check Ring's status page, it always shows everything as "operational", but if you scroll down to the log it's clear that they are having server load problems every day, forcing them to limit services while they catch up. It looks like they de-prioritize Live View in order to keep handling doorbell events, and they delay processing and posting of events until later in the day when their servers have time to catch up.

This is the big drawback of buying a product that is dependent on proprietary servers.
My understanding is that they use AWS cloud service, not their own proprietary servers.
Also, I wouldn't call 5 incidents in May (two of them were not related to server issue) and 2 incidents so far in June 'everyday'.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
terry0703 wrote: Also, I wouldn't call 5 incidents in May (two of them were not related to server issue) and 2 incidents so far in June 'everyday'.
I could believe that they use AWS. Nevertheless they seem to be having capacity problems. As for their past performance, I can only judge them by what I've seen since I got my Ring doorbell a week ago, which is frequent problems. For example for the last several hours I can get live video immediately when there's a doorbell or motion alert, but Live View is mysteriously unavailable. Same thing for several hours yesterday - no Live View, events not being posted - before those services suddenly came back. Same thing on Friday.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
Faith24 wrote: I could believe that they use AWS. Nevertheless they seem to be having capacity problems. As for their past performance, I can only judge them by what I've seen since I got my Ring doorbell a week ago, which is frequent problems. For example for the last several hours I can get live video immediately when there's a doorbell or motion alert, but Live View is mysteriously unavailable. Same thing for several hours yesterday before Live View came back online suddenly.
Try it for a few weeks at least.
Mine was also unstable for the first few weeks when I got mine last November, but since like 1-2 weeks later, it's been working really well without any issue.
Also, try complaining to Ring Support. They sent me a Chime Pro free of charge (you may have to pay duty & import to Fedex, though) to boost the Wifi signal.
Jan 21, 2007
534 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Having Ring Pro since last Black Friday, I can honestly say it is utter crap. I have 150Mbs internet/wi-fi with full bars and I LiveView is intermittent, the camera goes black and white mysteriously and Ring alerts often arrive after the person is already walking away.
The free Chime Pro was no help and despite it being "Pro" it did not support 5Ghz.
They got my money, don't let them get yours.
Dec 29, 2007
677 posts
477 upvotes
dingmah wrote: Only place I was able to buy it was online from Aartech.
How long to get a corner kit from aartech?
It looks like they don't have it in stock.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
phreezee wrote: Having Ring Pro since last Black Friday, I can honestly say it is utter crap. I have 150Mbs internet/wi-fi with full bars and I LiveView is intermittent, the camera goes black and white mysteriously and Ring alerts often arrive after the person is already walking away.
The free Chime Pro was no help and despite it being "Pro" it did not support 5Ghz.
They got my money, don't let them get yours.
What's upload speed?
I experienced the same for the first a few weeks after I installed it (and my internet speed was slow back then too at ~2-5mbps upload).
After the first a few weeks of ups and downs, it has been working great for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1340 posts
1431 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
cjam wrote: How long to get a corner kit from aartech?
It looks like they don't have it in stock.
Standard 3/4 days.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)