[Home Depot] Roomba 960 $494.36

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2019 6:50 pm
Jul 30, 2018
87 posts
53 upvotes
sid8tive wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 10:45 am
I have a 690. How much of an upgrade would a 960 be?
Massive. The new rollers alone are a good reason to upgrade
Feb 1, 2007
120 posts
20 upvotes
Edmonton
I just got mine approved. Edmonton.
WarrenC12 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 11:15 am
Does anybody know if Home Depot or others would do this if I'm on the west coast? We don't have Linen Chest here, but the 960 shows as "online exclusive" on homedepot.ca... ie: not available in local stores either.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2019
4 posts
9 upvotes
makingbaconpancakes wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 10:33 am

I have the 960, 980 and the i7+. The new ones are green and supposedly improved but I can't tell what changed / any notable cleaning performance difference.
One of the rollers on the i7 have been updated with longer "teeth" and the dashed teeth have been removed. My guess is it picks up fine dirt better, although I haven't done side by side tests. See https://syonyk.blogspot.com/2018/12/roo ... g-cat.html for some pictures (and to appreciate the amount of engineering that went into the roomba!). My only gripe with the i7 (besides the price) is that I read it expects you to be in the same environment each time. If you move it to another floor, it will confuse the persistent mapping. Can you confirm this? The 900 series restarts the map every time it cleans, so it's more robust in that sense.
sid8tive wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 10:45 am
I have a 690. How much of an upgrade would a 960 be?
Pretty significant I think. Suction improves 5x, redesigned rollers (long hair doesn't get stuck in it as easily), mapping (faster cleaning, can pause-recharge-continue, won't get lost if you have lots of rooms and narrow corridors). It still does the same thing fundamentally though. If you're happy with the 690 and it's still going strong, why fix what's not broken?
makingbaconpancakes wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 12:45 pm
I don't know if this is in my head but I found the battery better on the older models.

I like the mapping on the i7 but feel like iRobot should have just enabled this function via firmware update on the 900 series - they both generate a map so why not?
The battery sizes aren't as large on the new models with exception of the 980. The i7 in particular has space in the shell for a _lot_ more battery. Might be an upgrade worth looking into after the original wears out. (The connectors changed though, so old aftermarket parts don't work anymore.) Also, the newer models have more powerful blowers, which eat power.

The processor in the i7 is significantly upgraded over the 900 series. I'm not sure it would have been possible to do it with a software update alone.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5698 posts
1490 upvotes
Brampton
OP Is the deal done ? I am seeing $949 ????
Jul 30, 2018
87 posts
53 upvotes
roomba12 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 1:13 pm
One of the rollers on the i7 have been updated with longer "teeth" and the dashed teeth have been removed. My guess is it picks up fine dirt better, although I haven't done side by side tests. See https://syonyk.blogspot.com/2018/12/roo ... g-cat.html for some pictures (and to appreciate the amount of engineering that went into the roomba!). My only gripe with the i7 (besides the price) is that I read it expects you to be in the same environment each time. If you move it to another floor, it will confuse the persistent mapping. Can you confirm this? The 900 series restarts the map every time it cleans, so it's more robust in that sense.
I only have one floor but the app lets you store multiple floors on the app. Personally, I'd just buy a second robot if I had a second floor. What's the point of a robot vacuum that you have to manually move from floor to floor?
Apr 7, 2011
625 posts
380 upvotes
ottawa
I guess deal is dead. I am seeing $950 now
[OP]
Jan 22, 2019
4 posts
9 upvotes
Wow that was fast. LC's sale was supposed to go until the 29th... That's too bad.
Jan 28, 2014
552 posts
178 upvotes
I own the i7+ was able to get visions down to 1151 instead of 1299.

I'm pretty impressed with how well it uses the mapping and the self emptying is great too. My wife loves it because it's one less thing to do in our busy schedules.