Hot Deals

[Home Depot] RYOBI 18V ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless 3-Speed 1/2 inch Impact Wrench Kit

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2019 9:24 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5599 posts
1382 upvotes
Calgary
dirtmover wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 11:15 am
You actually over tighten and can potentially stretch the stud beyond it's state of elasticity resulting in insufficient clamping force and a permanently deformed stud. Repeat this over enough cycles and the stud will eventually fail.

The torque spec would need to be de-rated for lubed fasteners to ensure the correct clamping force without risking damaging the hardware. In the cases where assembly lube is required the manufacturer will always provide very specific instructions on what to use, where to apply it and in what quantity.

I've never seen any vehicle manufacturer recommend lubing wheel studs.
we also have problems with our rims on our race team's cars due to over torquing, it causes the acorn seat on the rim to flatten out and then the lug nut doesn't seat tightly on the wheel causing a slight wobble, putting a lot of stress on that wheel makes it progressively wobble more and eventually rip the wheel causing a flying wheel and a bunch of damage, usually needs new studs and lug nuts at minimum... but that's in racing application so the stress we put on these cars isnt typical.
Jan 2, 2009
118 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
ahoo99 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2019 4:21 am
$34? l already bought one last month after my son took mine. It is a lot better than the 12V one
My local HD had the inflator for $47.52

I'd rather have this than pay at the gas station now that they've all installed those pay per use inflators.

Also I stacked with my $5 email signup coupon for purchases over $50 :)
Nov 14, 2012
610 posts
285 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Good, I'll need this to get my winter tires on.
Jun 6, 2019
24 posts
27 upvotes
T3rry wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 11:20 am
we also have problems with our rims on our race team's cars due to over torquing, it causes the acorn seat on the rim to flatten out and then the lug nut doesn't seat tightly on the wheel causing a slight wobble, putting a lot of stress on that wheel makes it progressively wobble more and eventually rip the wheel causing a flying wheel and a bunch of damage, usually needs new studs and lug nuts at minimum... but that's in racing application so the stress we put on these cars isnt typical.
interesting.
Nov 5, 2018
120 posts
124 upvotes
dirtmover wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 11:15 am
You actually over tighten and can potentially stretch the stud beyond it's state of elasticity resulting in insufficient clamping force and a permanently deformed stud. Repeat this over enough cycles and the stud will eventually fail.

The torque spec would need to be de-rated for lubed fasteners to ensure the correct clamping force without risking damaging the hardware. In the cases where assembly lube is required the manufacturer will always provide very specific instructions on what to use, where to apply it and in what quantity.

I've never seen any vehicle manufacturer recommend lubing wheel studs.
That makes sense... The fluid would decrease friction in between the threads. If someone is using a torque wrench set to manufacturers spec, I'd bet money that it wouldn't damage it.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2007
103 posts
146 upvotes
saint john
Stock back available today.
Jan 2, 2009
118 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
I just unpacked mine and noticed a burning smell from the motor. Also small sparks flying from the vent. It's my first impact wrench but I doubt that's normal. Probably gonna return it.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1356 posts
916 upvotes
Montreal
Captainsave26 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 3:07 pm
I just unpacked mine and noticed a burning smell from the motor. Also small sparks flying from the vent. It's my first impact wrench but I doubt that's normal. Probably gonna return it.
If it ain't brushless, that's normal. DC brushed motor produce sparks. The burning smell is probably because it's new and will go away. Don't worry about it.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2007
103 posts
146 upvotes
saint john
Captainsave26 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 3:07 pm
I think it is normal. That burning smell is the lube oil.

If you run any brushed drill/driver in dark, I bet you will see sparks all the time, any brand.

Unless you return for a brushless one.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2007
103 posts
146 upvotes
saint john
SquadG wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 3:48 pm
If it ain't brushless, that's normal. DC brushed motor produce sparks. The burning smell is probably because it's new and will go away. Don't worry about it.
exactly. I think HD puts this one onsale so that could have space for brushless ones.
Jan 2, 2009
118 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
SquadG wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 3:48 pm
This was my first foray into Ryobi. Most of my tools are Milwaukee and I'm assuming brushless as well.
Jan 2, 2009
118 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
ahoo99 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 3:49 pm
I think it is normal. That burning smell is the lube oil.

If you run any brushed drill/driver in dark, I bet you will see sparks all the time, any brand.

Unless you return for a brushless one.
Funny thing I tested it out in my well lit bedroom lol.
Sep 15, 2013
715 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
The rigid impact for 179 has a battery and charger value of 149. What do I get back if I return the battery and charger?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6766 posts
1311 upvotes
Mont-Royal
kaisin82 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2019 6:22 pm
it's sold out online now
cant add to the cart
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101