None
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2010
2598 posts
487 upvotes
DFR Headquarter
vodka wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:12 pm
Why not get an angle grinder? You could find one for $20 at a pawn ship likely, even new you can get cheap: $40: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074M2 ... UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the suggestion. Even though im capable of simple DIY, i dont think using this tool will give me an even cut on the bunk bed posts. I have to shorten 8 of them. Cant be having the bunk uneven.

Im thinking a mitre saw is best because its a simple one motion straight cut. Maybe i should look at a 2nd hand one
[OP]
Aug 29, 2010
64 posts
56 upvotes
Bedboi wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:13 pm
Thanks for the suggestion. Even though im capable of simple DIY, i dont think using this tool will give me an even cut on the bunk bed posts. I have to shorten 8 of them. Cant be having the bunk uneven.

Im thinking a mitre saw is best because its a simple one motion straight cut. Maybe i should look at a 2nd hand one
You may need a chop saw for that. Rent one from Home Depot if you just need to use it once?
Using a mitre saw for cutting metal (even with an appropriate blade) might be a bad idea. I've read that mitre saws aren't meant to deal with cutting metal due to their aluminum and plastic base, as metal shards can damage it. RPM may be different between chop saw and mitre saw, too. Be careful!
[OP]
Aug 29, 2010
64 posts
56 upvotes
Bedboi wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:13 pm

Can Tire sells a "multi-purpose" Evolution 10" mitre saw (i.e. designed to cut wood, steel, aluminum etc.). Regularly goes on sale. Only catch is it uses a proprietary blade mechanism, so you're stuck buying Evolution blades. https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/prod ... ku=0556777
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1714 posts
128 upvotes
Has anyone used a Dewalt 10" mitre saw on this and fits? I bought my 10" mitre saw at HD during the black friday sale, and need a stand for it.
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Aug 30, 2008
46 posts
11 upvotes
Questionz wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:32 pm
Has anyone used a Dewalt 10" mitre saw on this and fits? I bought my 10" mitre saw at HD during the black friday sale, and need a stand for it.
I use this with my 12” sliding Dewalt and it’s been awesome. Bought it back when $99 was the regular price. It’s an excellent stand, especially for the price.
Apr 15, 2006
755 posts
225 upvotes
Fellow rfd'ers, I was one of the fortunate to get the $199 sliding saw and stand deal. The saw has been really good and instrumental for my baseboards and laminate wall, to name a few examples. The stand is a solid mofo and allows me to cut and support long pieces of lumber. There is a sliding mechanism too that allows to me adjust even further.

All in all, the sliding saw and the stand are an excellent buy.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3038 posts
319 upvotes
Hamilton
I also got the saw+stand deal for $199 and the very solid. I was surprised how heavy it was. The saw on the other hand doesn't feel as good as the Mastercraft one I was borrowing for awhile, just doesn't slide as nice.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1714 posts
128 upvotes
redsands wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:02 am
I use this with my 12” sliding Dewalt and it’s been awesome. Bought it back when $99 was the regular price. It’s an excellent stand, especially for the price.
Thanks! Going to take advantage of this deal then!
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
May 8, 2007
806 posts
178 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
h3nry8888 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:18 am
How does this compare to the Mastercraft? https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/prod ... ku=0571646
Looks like you are referring to the Mastercraft mitre saw stand (link not working), I have the MC stand and the rails are too closely spaced to fit the Ryobi 10" slider saw so I had to make a simple adapter from plywood. Otherwise the MC stand is OK. I would have got the Ryobi stand but when I bought about 2 years ago the price was always about $120.

Like a lot of other stands the MC support extension arm on the left is positioned a bit far back so it does not support wide boards very well (but no problem if cutting narrow wood like baseboard trim). The extension arm on the right is further forward so the support is better, but that is not the best arrangement for most right-handed users.
Aug 22, 2007
539 posts
282 upvotes
Questionz wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:37 pm
"Offer cannot be combined with any other coupon, promotional offer or discount and cannot be used towards gift cards"

Are you sure they will accept this for the Ryobi stand?
Hm, maybe YMMV. I'll try it out tomorrow and get back to you. My local home depot doesn't have any in stock at the moment.
Jul 31, 2008
346 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver
Questionz wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:37 pm
"Offer cannot be combined with any other coupon, promotional offer or discount and cannot be used towards gift cards"

Are you sure they will accept this for the Ryobi stand?
I used the coupon during the purchase of this stand no problem.
This isn't a promotional price anyway, just a new lower price.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3408 posts
833 upvotes
Coldfinger wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 11:58 am
I used the coupon during the purchase of this stand no problem.
This isn't a promotional price anyway, just a new lower price.
Unfortunately I passed on ordering this last night based on your post and was just going to go in store to get one today, but it is now back up to $128 so I'm going to be out $40.