Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Scotts Turf Builder (ez seed $20 YMMV - Markham, Woodbine/Hwy 7)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 10:56 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2015
5 posts
11 upvotes
Markham

[Home Depot] Scotts Turf Builder (ez seed $20 YMMV - Markham, Woodbine/Hwy 7)

Hi everyone,

Long-time-lurker, first-time-poster. Please excuse any errors in formatting or posting guidelines.

Just got back from the Home Depot in Markham (Woodbine / Hwy 7). The cashier and I were both surprised to find the Scott's Turf Builder (ez seed 6.5kg bucket) came out to $20 each at the register.

The shelf price and online price still show it as $39.87 each, so YMMV.

I've included a photo of my receipt.
Images
  • IMG_7122.JPG
Last edited by Quarkz21 on Aug 3rd, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3752 posts
175 upvotes
Markham
Not sure which is better (they seem to be comparable in price at Home Depot), but the coated Turf Builder is $29.97 at Costco (Woodbine/Hwy 7)
Images
  • Scotts.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
1791 posts
835 upvotes
mb
i-o_o-i wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 4:30 pm
Not sure which is better (they seem to be comparable in price at Home Depot), but the coated Turf Builder is $29.97 at Costco (Woodbine/Hwy 7)
If you have good soil this stuff will be fine and grow well. The stuff op posted is mulch, fertilizer and seed in one.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2015
5 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
Sorry for the confusion everyone.

Sumrandomguy is correct in identifying the right product.

i-o_o-i, I have also used the product you mentioned. It's good for overseeding the lawn to help thicken it.

The product I'm referring to is ideal for covering up and repairing dead patches where my dog's urine has burned the grass. This product comes with its own growth medium, which makes it more effective (and expensive) than the coated seeds you mentioned.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1254 posts
571 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Quarkz21 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 4:49 pm
Sorry for the confusion everyone.

Sumrandomguy is correct in identifying the right product.

i-o_o-i, I have also used the product you mentioned. It's good for overseeding the lawn to help thicken it.

The product I'm referring to is ideal for covering up and repairing dead patches where my dog's urine has burned the grass. This product comes with its own growth medium, which makes it more effective (and expensive) than the coated seeds you mentioned.
Just for everyones quick reference the OP's location is at Hwy7/Woodbine. When the OP said Hwy7/Warden I was puzzled as I don't remember thier ever being a Home Depot there. I know there is the No Frills/McDonalds/Shoppers Drugmart and formerly Futureshop there. Was thinking for a minute that maybe HomeDepot opened a smaller location in the Futureshop building but checked the OP's recipet address and it confirms Hwy7/Woodbine.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Jun 29, 2017
92 posts
159 upvotes
I saw a bigger bag discounted at costco for around $25-30 at cyrville location in Ottawa this past wednesday. Was in a rush, so didn't get the details.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2006
2582 posts
144 upvotes
I guess since op's version has mulch in it then it's not good to use this over existing grass? Never used mulch on grass before.
====================================
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1416 upvotes
Richmond
I've been doing some seeding on a couple of bare patches of lawn in the last few months, using some cheap seed from Canadian Tire and some Scott's seed from Home Depot. The Canadian Tire seed germinated very well everywhere I scattered it. The Scott's stuff, not so much.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2015
5 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
@robfun
Yeah, I normally buy the larger 25lbs bags from Costco for $55, but it looks like the ones in Markham are all out for the season.

But at $20 for 15lbs, this is even better.

@ludhi
If your grass is green and healthy, I wouldn't recommend this product (too expensive). Get some of the grass seeds that are coated with a moisture absorbing layer, and then add a light dressing of black earth over top. That will help to add density to your lawn and minimize the number of weeds that can grow.

If you have patches of dead grass or gaps you'd like filled in, this product is perfect for fixing them. The mulch helps to retain water, allowing the seeds to germinate/establish themselves quicker.

In both cases, be sure to water your lawn deeply and frequently. I find it best to set the sprinkler timer for 4:30am (to avoid soaking 6:00am joggers) and to allow the soil to absorb the water before the sun gets a chance to evaporate it away.
Apr 3, 2006
934 posts
210 upvotes
Thanks Op. My HD was regular price but showed your receipt and they matched. Picked up 2 bins.
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Nov 22, 2012
34 posts
3 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Does that usually work showing a photo of a receipt to price match?