• Jan 13th, 2019 4:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1125 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto

Home Depot store/credit card Fraud?

Recently I have ran into some ads on Kijiji that were selling Home Depot store credit and Gift Cards for up to 20% off.
I am particularly interested in the store credit (as it has the most percentage off) and the person who is selling it is willing to meet in person at the store.

What precautions should I take? The store credit is non transferable so technically what ever I buy he would be the rightful owner, right?
Can he cancel the order after I leave and get his store credit back?

If you have any positive or negative experience in this area please share, Thanks.
8 replies
Apr 29, 2018
48 posts
47 upvotes
ON
Oldest scam in the book. They're bought with stolen CCs, usually shortly before the meet. You check the balance in store and all will be good. You hand over the $.
A few days later, you go to use the card and bam $0 balance. The cardholder disputed the charge and the retailer locked the card. The retailer and the police won't care and the only one who gets screwed is you.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/blocked- ... s-1045826/

The only way not to get screwed would be to buy something on the spot with the scammer, but then you'd be on camera and the retailer will definitely care since they'd be the one out the money once the bank reverses the charge.

Don't do it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1125 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
fusion52 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:58 pm
Oldest scam in the book. They're bought with stolen CCs, usually shortly before the meet. You check the balance in store and all will be good. You hand over the $.
A few days later, you go to use the card and bam $0 balance. The cardholder disputed the charge and the retailer locked the card. The retailer and the police won't care and the only one who gets screwed is you.

The only way not to get screwed would be to buy something on the spot with the scammer, but then you'd be on camera and the retailer will definitely care since they'd be the one out the money once the bank reverses the charge.

Don't do it!
I would never fall for that gift card scam, I'll only hand over cash after I use the gift-card to buy the product that I need. I'm more interested in the store credit ads and trying to figure out if it can work without being scammed.
Apr 29, 2018
48 posts
47 upvotes
ON
FoMoHotDeals wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:24 pm
I would never fall for that gift card scam, I'll only hand over cash after I use the gift-card to buy the product that I need. I'm more interested in the store credit ads and trying to figure out if it can work without being scammed.
Store credit are probably refund cards obtained by returning stolen merch without a receipt (sometimes just by taking it straight off a shelf to the CS desk for a refund). I don't know if loss prevention would later find out and disable the card if they missed it the first time around but I wouldn't bother for a 20% discount.
Just buy GCs when they're on sale for 10-15% off every now and then. Combine with a cashback CC and you can probably do close to 20% off without meeting up with some scammer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1125 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
Store credit can only be used by the person that it's issued to and Home Depot requires ID's now for that type of transaction.
Let's say I go into Home Depot and let the sales rep and cashier know that I will be making a purchase with someone else's store credit and he is here to authorize the transaction.

What can possibly happen, after I buy the product?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1125 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
lol I guess a scammer just downvoted this post, probably the same guy who DM'd me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6995 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
fusion52 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:58 pm

Don't do it!

This

fusion52 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:30 pm
Store credit are probably refund cards obtained by returning stolen merch without a receipt (sometimes just by taking it straight off a shelf to the CS desk for a refund). I don't know if loss prevention would later find out and disable the card if they missed it the first time around but I wouldn't bother for a 20% discount.
Just buy GCs when they're on sale for 10-15% off every now and then. Combine with a cashback CC and you can probably do close to 20% off without meeting up with some scammer.
And this

Follow the RFD 2019 Gift Card thread, and you can do extremely well for yourself ... totally legit / above board

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/various- ... 9-2255585/

Use the GC when stuff is on sale, or join the Loyalty Programs at Store, and STACK your savings (Indigo - Cdn Tire - AirMiles - PCO ) or by buying online (AirMiles Shops.ca - Aeroplan Estore - Ebates) etc. Sometimes you can even DOUBLE or TRIPLE STACK your Savings / Rewards

There’s a reason that scammers & thieves are getting into the GC Biz... it’s extremely profitable one way or another

BTW... remember NOT EVERY BARGAIN IS A GOOD DEAL

IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE ... IT PROBABLY IS
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1399 posts
513 upvotes
Hamilton
FoMoHotDeals wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:52 pm
Store credit can only be used by the person that it's issued to and Home Depot requires ID's now for that type of transaction.
Let's say I go into Home Depot and let the sales rep and cashier know that I will be making a purchase with someone else's store credit and he is here to authorize the transaction.

What can possibly happen, after I buy the product?
That's not true. I've bought and used store credit a ton of times. I've even bought them and bought a gift card with it to make sure I'm covered. Or buy an item with it worth the value of the card so when I return that item I'm getting a new store credit.

Never had an issue buying these store credits even for large amounts (over $700)