• Dec 22nd, 2015 4:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2010
1432 posts
352 upvotes

[Home Depot] StudSensor HD55 Stud Finder with Bonus Level - $19.98

Was looking for a stud sensor and came across this in the Home Depot flyer. Seems like a decent deal with a bonus leveler.

Overview Model # 67326 Store SKU # 1000845726

StudSensor HD55 deep-scanning stud finder boasts more design innovations by Zircon. Featuring an enhanced LCD display, it debuts a new Target Spotlight that illuminates on-screen when youve found the edge of a stud. Select from two stud scan modes to find the edges of wood and metal studs and use the BONUS level to assist with hanging mirrors, shelves, and cabinets to the wall while also avoiding live AC electrical wiring.
Stud Scan mode locates the edges of wood or metal studs up to 19 mm deep
Translucent base and illuminated "V" marker groove for more accurate marking of stud edge location
WireWarning detection indicates the presence of live
Includes BONUS level
DeepScan mode doubles the scanning depth to 38 mm deep
Enhanced LCD display with Target Spotlight indicates approaching stud edge and illuminates when stud edge is detected
Specifications
Images
18 replies
Aug 6, 2014
776 posts
210 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
while it's possible this brand has gotten better over time, or that this model is actually good, i have an old "zircon" stud finder and it's a worthless piece of garbage. it couldn't find a stud to save its life, it just beeps erratically and has no accuracy whatsoever. just a head's up.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1285 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
I've only used these types of stud finders in the past. I needed to mount my Black Friday TV recently and couldn't find my stud finder. I thought I would do some research before buying a replacement. I then came across this Franklin one and haven't looked back.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/frank ... mGv8pTtJaQ

Super accurate and reliable. I installed my fully articulating TV mount with no problems and have been hanging all sorts of other things since (shelves, frames, etc).

hot-precision-franklin-stud-finder-cost ... st24428919
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
7053 posts
1237 upvotes
+1... have one myself - it's the best I've used.
hssironman wrote: I've only used these types of stud finders in the past. I needed to mount my Black Friday TV recently and couldn't find my stud finder. I thought I would do some research before buying a replacement. I then came across this Franklin one and haven't looked back.

Super accurate and reliable. I installed my fully articulating TV mount with no problems and have been hanging all sorts of other things since (shelves, frames, etc).

Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2628 posts
3469 upvotes
Langley, BC
mic2074 wrote: +1... have one myself - it's the best I've used.
except they don't detect electrical, etc...
Oct 26, 2015
34 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Have one of the Zircon's and although it is cheap, I would not buy again. It was difficult to find the stud the first time and I'd have to do several passes to make sure it was right.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2702 posts
1179 upvotes
West Coast
These may be decent but I'd suggest people save themselves the headaches of future issues and pay the extra to get a Franklin (or the Costco rebrand). They're so good and easy to use.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Dec 1, 2003
491 posts
102 upvotes
Ottawa
hssironman wrote: I've only used these types of stud finders in the past. I needed to mount my Black Friday TV recently and couldn't find my stud finder. I thought I would do some research before buying a replacement. I then came across this Franklin one and haven't looked back.

Thanks for your feedback as I was about the return my Franklin studfinder for this one.
Jun 26, 2013
640 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
I just got it last evening, have seen a lot of good reviews. confused
Mar 11, 2012
282 posts
71 upvotes

This is at Costco as well. Same price I believe

Except the Canadian tire one is Franklin. While Costco is pro finder. Google says it's just renamed
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25972 posts
11411 upvotes
steven80 wrote: except they don't detect electrical, etc...
These don't detect studs. So it's a trade off.
Keep both. Use a Franklin for studs and one of these for electrical.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2628 posts
3469 upvotes
Langley, BC
death_hawk wrote: These don't detect studs. So it's a trade off.
Keep both. Use a Franklin for studs and one of these for electrical.
What? My regular stud finder finds both studs and electrical

edit: oh, you meant the one the OP posted :)
Oct 23, 2007
796 posts
95 upvotes
steven80 wrote: What? My regular stud finder finds both studs and electrical
Which brand are you using? I have a stanley one that's 50:50 at detecting studs. Not very accurate.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25972 posts
11411 upvotes
steven80 wrote: What? My regular stud finder finds both studs and electrical
Most of the regular type stud finders are TERRIBLE for finding studs.
The Franklins are awesome at it.