Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Wall mounted Tire Rack - $52.43

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 2:34 pm
Sep 20, 2017
53 posts
34 upvotes
Ontario
I need one. Is it hard to put on dry wall? I'm not a handy person.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1413 posts
652 upvotes
TracyWater wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:33 am
I need one. Is it hard to put on dry wall? I'm not a handy person.
you'll need to locate the wall studs (either with a stud finder, or by tapping; trying googling it for different tips). You'll also need a drill to drill pilot holes for the lag bolts. Not a hard job, should be very easy with some basic equipment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4139 posts
310 upvotes
lildevilx wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:13 am
kinda silly it fits 5 tires :P
too bad it doesn't solve the problem of lifting the tires up onto the rack
I think the extra space is to accommodate extra wide tires. I can fit 5x 225mm tires on it with a couple inches of space left.

Since the unit is 48". Then it can accommodate 4x 300mm tires.

Yeah it takes a bit of strength to get it up there. Maybe I'll design a pulley system when I'm older.
Oct 21, 2005
326 posts
105 upvotes
The red heavy duty one looks like it would handle tires tipping to the side a little bit better since the top bar extends out further before bending down to meet the bottom bar. Not to mention it is one solid piece of metal compared to four separate pieces held together by a a few tiny hinges and joints. If the foldaway ability was useful it might be worth getting it, but I always either have my winters or summers on there, so I'd never need to fold it away. $20 difference for something that will last basically forever is not even a consideration, IMO.
Sep 12, 2017
141 posts
15 upvotes
lildevilx wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:13 am
kinda silly it fits 5 tires :P
too bad it doesn't solve the problem of lifting the tires up onto the rack
How high do you guys mount these racks? Noticed in the OP photo it's not very high, always assumed to mount these near the ceiling, above garage door. But it would make it harder to lift the tires.
Jun 16, 2008
131 posts
186 upvotes
Brampton
I mount them above the garage door. Out of the way, you only need to put up tires when you swap them so twice a year?
reggyDeal wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:46 am
How high do you guys mount these racks? Noticed in the OP photo it's not very high, always assumed to mount these near the ceiling, above garage door. But it would make it harder to lift the tires.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4139 posts
310 upvotes
LBJackal wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:39 am
The red heavy duty one looks like it would handle tires tipping to the side a little bit better since the top bar extends out further before bending down to meet the bottom bar. Not to mention it is one solid piece of metal compared to four separate pieces held together by a a few tiny hinges and joints. If the foldaway ability was useful it might be worth getting it, but I always either have my winters or summers on there, so I'd never need to fold it away. $20 difference for something that will last basically forever is not even a consideration, IMO.
Exactly, I completely agree. Which is why I suggested the heavy duty one. I had bought the grey one when it was on sale thinking it'll be similar to the red one but when I took it out at home noticed it's much smaller and less sturdy.

I decided to put it up anyways since I needed to store the tires asap.

I've had the red one for 6-7 years and the gray one for 2-3 years now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4139 posts
310 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:46 am
Currently mines are 5 feet above the ground at the bottom of the rack. Which makes it perfect height for me to put up fairly easily (I'm 6' 2")

If I put it any higher, I would be lifting it above my head and that would be a LOT harder to do. Especially with SUV tires.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4139 posts
310 upvotes
Gaggu P wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:03 am
I mount them above the garage door. Out of the way, you only need to put up tires when you swap them so twice a year?
How do you put them up usually? Are you using a ladder?
Jun 16, 2008
131 posts
186 upvotes
Brampton
azncapcom wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:18 am
How do you put them up usually? Are you using a ladder?
A ladder or a smaller folding step ladder (2-3 steps high).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7347 posts
488 upvotes
Question, we were looking at making storage updated to our basement and was going to do shelving units and attach them to the studs in the basemen walls (unfinished basement)

Would these shelves + tires be supported by the studs or should we add additional support somehow?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4139 posts
310 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:33 am
Question, we were looking at making storage updated to our basement and was going to do shelving units and attach them to the studs in the basemen walls (unfinished basement)

Would these shelves + tires be supported by the studs or should we add additional support somehow?
They would be supported by the studs. If you prefer, you can run 2x4s horizontally across 4 or 5 studs to spread out the weight more vs just attaching to 2 vertical studs directly. It's overkill but I did it for one of mine anyways as I wanted to hang some snow brushes on the 2x4.
Feb 1, 2009
822 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, GTA
Thanks OP, bought one. Don't forget cashback from your favorite CB site.
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D