Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

YMMV Scott’s Weed B Gon 1L concentrate

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2020 11:54 am
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2007
1247 posts
521 upvotes
Calgary
Seriously, dandelion is for sure annoying. But this stuff doesn't work!! They will die but come back in the worst form and harder to get rid off. And these chemicals just gets wash down into the soil and drain. So bad for you and the environment. I used to be one that used to use this stuff and find it to work like a band-aid. I kept looking at my neighbor and his grass is immaculate having maybe a few throughout the year and he just plucks them but they never come back and he never uses weed killers either.

So I spoke with him about his secret. I found out he works for the Calgary city parks and he said his experience is that chemicals does get rid of them temporarily, but not permanently. The true easy way it to keep your lawn fertilized! Once in early spring, once in late spring, once in mid-summer and then one more in the fall before winter. He said Grass itself is a very invasive species, just like the dandelion. So if your grass is healthy, they actually choke out the dandelions. He said the key is water and fertilizer. You don't need anything else.

I was very skeptical. But my front and backyard were one of the shame of the neighborhood. I started doing what my neighbor told me. Started about 5 years ago. and to date, my yard is so nice that even when green drop come to sell me and I said no thanks, they will comment, looking at your lawn, I won't even try to further sell you. Beware tho, this method is like Chinese medicine vs western medicine, it take 1-2 years to see the good result, I was about to give up, but my neighbor said, just keep at it. It will get better and sure enough, on my 3rd year, everything was soooooo good, as if my lawn is dandelion proof.

Also, I don't pick out the dandelions until they become the yellow flower.

On the other hand, I have a new neighbor on the other side and their stupid lab is marking my side of the fence and a strip of 1 foot wide grass along our fence is completely yellow and disgusting, so if anyone knows of any "Dogs-B-Gon" go on sale....I'd take some...LOL
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2018
1515 posts
2810 upvotes
Winnipeg
frostiex wrote: Seriously, dandelion is for sure annoying. But this stuff doesn't work!!
This sort of advice is useless, unhelpful and wrong. It kills weeds very well.

I bought my house two years ago and the lawn is *absolutely riddled* with weeds, and the remaining grass is very weak. I have taken extensive remedial action to improve soil quality (aeration, topdressing, fertilising, mineral/pH balancing), but the old grass is too far gone to out compete the weeds and new grass seed just doesn't take very well because the weeds are just so well-established. Last year I tried using the EcoSence chelated iron product; THIS stuff doesn't work. The leaves drop off and go brown, but a week later they sprout right back. I had to reapply WAY faster than recommended to get any benefit, to the point where the existing grass suffered even more and none of my new seed survived the winter. So this year I have lots of bare patches, lots of weeds re-sprouting.

The only thing that I can see working for me, short of ripping it all up and laying down new sod, is to knock the weeds back with a proper pesticide, that will give new grass seed a chance to grow. I am going to cackle maniacally as I poison my weeds *dead*.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2007
1247 posts
521 upvotes
Calgary
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: This sort of advice is useless, unhelpful and wrong. It kills weeds very well.

I bought my house two years ago and the lawn is *absolutely riddled* with weeds, and the remaining grass is very weak. I have taken extensive remedial action to improve soil quality (aeration, topdressing, fertilising, mineral/pH balancing), but the old grass is too far gone to out-compete the weeds and new grass seed just doesn't take very well because the weeds are just so well-established. Last year I tried using the EcoSence chelated iron product; THIS stuff doesn't work. The leaves drop off and go brown, but a week later they sprout right back. I had to reapply WAY faster than recommended to get any benefit, to the point where the existing grass suffered even more and none of my new seed survived the winter. So this year I have lots of bare patches, lots of weeds re-sprouting.

The only thing that I can see working for me, short of ripping it all up and laying down new sod, is to knock the weeds back with a proper pesticide, that will give new grass seed a chance to grow. I am going to cackle maniacally as I poison my weeds *dead*.
AGAIN, If you even read my entire post and not just take my words out of context.
I said this stuff WORKS....to an extent.
What you described in YOUR CASE is a severe situation. VERY obviously my advice is not for your case. You need to learn RFD have all sorts of people and situations and experiences. And to me, this is where the RFD strength is. with so much diversity and experiences, we can learn from. Our job is to look at what applies to you and see if it works for you. There is no one size fit all solution on this forum, unlike what the liberals try to tell me. I am just here to share my experience and maybe someone can benefit from it too. Because I sure did and am glad for the advice my neighbor gave me.

My yards were VERY bad with LOTS of Dandelions too, my wife was contemplating on ripping the backyard out and re-sod as well, and I said I will, but not until I give it a good shot. Leave or take it's up to oneself.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
2690 posts
2708 upvotes
Ottawa
asifnana wrote: I got one, paid with PayPal.

So if it ends up being a scam, I will get my money back.
And it’s a scam...

Hello chriscabob,
Our records show that you recently contacted or received messages from maelletb through eBay's messaging system. We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have compromised this member's account security. It’s important to note that we’re unaware of any problems with your account. We recommend the following precautions to help keep you safe:
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I don't get what the scam is though, everyone who ordered can simply cancel the payment in paypal so how will the scammer get any money?
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1122 posts
1174 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: I don't get what the scam is though, everyone who ordered can simply cancel the payment in paypal so how will the scammer get any money?
The scammer tried to do something and tripped ebay's fraud detection which shut him down. I cancelled the payment last night, especially when I saw where the money was going to go to:
Seller info
eBay - fanynnaa@yahoo.com (maelletb)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
MikeMontrealer wrote: especially when I saw where the money was going to go to:
What is suspicious about that email address?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1575 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
frostiex wrote: Seriously, dandelion is for sure annoying. But this stuff doesn't work!! They will die but come back in the worst form and harder to get rid off. And these chemicals just gets wash down into the soil and drain. So bad for you and the environment. I used to be one that used to use this stuff and find it to work like a band-aid. I kept looking at my neighbor and his grass is immaculate having maybe a few throughout the year and he just plucks them but they never come back and he never uses weed killers either.

So I spoke with him about his secret. I found out he works for the Calgary city parks and he said his experience is that chemicals does get rid of them temporarily, but not permanently. The true easy way it to keep your lawn fertilized! Once in early spring, once in late spring, once in mid-summer and then one more in the fall before winter. He said Grass itself is a very invasive species, just like the dandelion. So if your grass is healthy, they actually choke out the dandelions. He said the key is water and fertilizer. You don't need anything else.

I was very skeptical. But my front and backyard were one of the shame of the neighborhood. I started doing what my neighbor told me. Started about 5 years ago. and to date, my yard is so nice that even when green drop come to sell me and I said no thanks, they will comment, looking at your lawn, I won't even try to further sell you. Beware tho, this method is like Chinese medicine vs western medicine, it take 1-2 years to see the good result, I was about to give up, but my neighbor said, just keep at it. It will get better and sure enough, on my 3rd year, everything was soooooo good, as if my lawn is dandelion proof.

Also, I don't pick out the dandelions until they become the yellow flower.

On the other hand, I have a new neighbor on the other side and their stupid lab is marking my side of the fence and a strip of 1 foot wide grass along our fence is completely yellow and disgusting, so if anyone knows of any "Dogs-B-Gon" go on sale....I'd take some...LOL
This is quite accurate, but just wanted to add on.

Very true, I use the weed b gone as a "spot treatment" these days, as really all it does is kill a weed but they just come right back shortly after if they can find another bald spot in your lawn.

So very true that if your grass is thick and healthy, it will absolutely crowd out weeds and make it much easier to maintain.

A tip that I mentioned earlier, is that please- for the love of god DONT over seed and fertilize in the dead of summer for numerous reasons.

-You need to water the new grass everyday basically twice a day or more for a few weeks, otherwise the grass will just die in the summer heat
-Again using lots of water your water bill will take a hit
-Weeds are HIGHLY active when its warm. Ever see it being super hot outside, grass is turning brown but the weeds are nice and lush and green?

Best time to over seed and fertilize is early spring when there is consistent rain, but even better time is Fall.

-Fall there is rain
-Weather is cooler, so weeds are MUCH less active, but grass can still grow as long as its above 5 celsius
-Morning and evening dew to keep the ground moist

Basically thats the golden window to over seed. As your not fighting weeds, or having to water twice a day
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
3262 posts
1220 upvotes
chillychin wrote: This is quite accurate, but just wanted to add on.

Very true, I use the weed b gone as a "spot treatment" these days, as really all it does is kill a weed but they just come right back shortly after if they can find another bald spot in your lawn.

So very true that if your grass is thick and healthy, it will absolutely crowd out weeds and make it much easier to maintain.

A tip that I mentioned earlier, is that please- for the love of god DONT over seed and fertilize in the dead of summer for numerous reasons.

-You need to water the new grass everyday basically twice a day or more for a few weeks, otherwise the grass will just die in the summer heat
-Weeds are HIGHLY active when its warm. Ever see it being super hot outside, grass is turning brown but the weeds are nice and lush and green?

Best time to over seed and fertilize is early spring when there is consistent rain, but even better time is Fall.

-Fall there is rain
-Weather is cooler, so weeds are MUCH less active, but grass can still grow as long as its above 5 celsius

Basically thats the golden window to over seed. As your not fighting weeds, or having to water twice a day
Very informative. Thank you!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1575 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: This sort of advice is useless, unhelpful and wrong. It kills weeds very well.

I bought my house two years ago and the lawn is *absolutely riddled* with weeds, and the remaining grass is very weak. I have taken extensive remedial action to improve soil quality (aeration, topdressing, fertilising, mineral/pH balancing), but the old grass is too far gone to out compete the weeds and new grass seed just doesn't take very well because the weeds are just so well-established. Last year I tried using the EcoSence chelated iron product; THIS stuff doesn't work. The leaves drop off and go brown, but a week later they sprout right back. I had to reapply WAY faster than recommended to get any benefit, to the point where the existing grass suffered even more and none of my new seed survived the winter. So this year I have lots of bare patches, lots of weeds re-sprouting.

My two cents for this

Im not sure when you did all your remedial action, but time of season plays a big part.

Its excellent that you aerated, top dressed and fertilized. That at least preps the soil to allow new grass to potentially take root.

But as you mentioned the old grass has lost the fight against the weeds in your lawn already.

So having said that, my best tip for you is to try killing as many weeds as you can, then just re-seed doing this all in the Fall.

If you aerate/topdress/fertilize anywhere from March to August, your fighting a losing battle. As the weather warms up, the weeds start to grow pretty much right away while grass remains dormant and sluggish until its about 10 degrees out.

So by the time grass wakes up, weeds already took over the block.

Over seeding in the fall has numerous benefits

-Its rainy and moist, with morning and evening dew, so you dont need to water grass "twice a day" or more
-When it gets cooler outside weeds start to slow down BUT they are not totally gone

So your new grass has a bit less competition, and more hospitable conditions to grow.

Another thing I highly advise is to allow your grass to grow a bit longer. It helps crowd out weeds.

If your looking for that "golf course green look" - Its a LOT of work - Thats why they have full time staff to just maintain the green.

For a normal person working 9-5, better to leave the grass a bit longer. Sure its not as nice as that golf course look, but I will take a bit longer grass any day over a lawn full of weeds.

Edit: Was trying to find some helpful links for grass info

https://www.doctorgreen.com/weed-contro ... d-control/

Fall is basically the best time for fix up your lawn, kill and remove any weeds so next season your lawn has a better chance at fighting.

It sucks at first, as you need to live through the summer with a nasty looknig lawn, but down the road it definitely works out

These are photos I just took of my backyard. Grass is a bit longer at the moment as I havent mowed.

But as you can see from my neighours on the left (100% weeds) and my neighbour on the right (a handful of weeds) I think Im doing pretty well for myself
Resized_20180525_114259.jpg
Resized_20180525_114312.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1122 posts
1174 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: What is suspicious about that email address?
eBay account was compromised by a third-party according to eBay. Email doesn't seem to match username at all (not even close) which can be normal but also looks to be randomly generated (ie disposable). Search for email gave zero results. Nothing conclusive, but enough for me to revoke the payment (especially as eBay cancelled the sale itself anyway).
Aug 19, 2013
434 posts
380 upvotes
Etobicoke
ChippewaBarr wrote: Does Amazon.com still ship things like Spectracide Weed Stop and Ortho Weed B Gone to Canada? I was thinking of ordering another bottle before i run out.
I think they stopped that from end of last year. My last order of Ortho Weed-B-Gon from amazon.com was July 2017. When I tried again on Jan 2018, no luck. All of them stopped shipping to Canada.
Aug 12, 2010
149 posts
27 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion
How do you cancel a paypal transaction? Ebay Resolution Center says
"Unfortunately, PayPal reports that we can't open a case for this item"

And Paypal says
"If it's still not resolved, go to the eBay Resolution Centre. "

Do I need to call paypal?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3155 posts
12777 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
chillychin wrote: This is quite accurate, but just wanted to add on.

-Fall there is rain

What do you recommend grass seed and fertilizer when over seeding?
Rogers Unlimited Province, 12gb $39/month!
Jan 8, 2018
138 posts
138 upvotes
As others have emphasized, anyone obsessed with eliminating weeds should really be obsessed with good lawn care practices. No better deterrent than healthy grass
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1575 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
Rlcky wrote: What do you recommend grass seed and fertilizer when over seeding?
I generally lean towards wanting a larger concentration of kentucky blue grass.

Kentucky blue grass is a good type of grass as it grows via rhizomes - Meaning that any new grass grows grows out horizontally. So it can theoretically cover up bald spots and spread around.

The caveat to this type of grass though is that it tends to grow more shallow, so when the temperatures rise it requires more watering since its roots are not as deep. So it can turn brown more easily in hot temperatures.

But generally, what you want is a good grass mix - So really I usually just pick up a bag of something that at least contains some kentucky blue grass. Since we have varying temperatures, its good to have a mix of hot and cold season type of grass. So your grass stays more consistently green in all temperatures. So stuff from Canadian tire or home depot does work.

If you want a bit more of a no brainer thrown it down type of over seeding you can try this

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cil-g ... p.html#srp

Its similar to EZ Seed. Both of these bags contain a mix of grass, fertilizer etc. So you can throw it down and not worry too much about other stuff.

I would then mix in a bit more grass seed, and throw down some of this

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/scott ... p.html#srp

I know the EZ seed and the CIL can get expensive if you have a big lawn, or if you want to do your ENTIRE lawn, so these days I use it to spot treat.

I find I maybe spend no more then $50 a year for lawn supplies, if at all these days. Bag of CIL, fertilizer, some weed b gone can last me a year or two.

Just my two cents.
Nov 26, 2004
663 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
Paulie1RFD wrote: I use vinegar. Its cheap or should I say, value priced ? :)

avoid over spraying on grass and flowers, it will harm them. I use a pump sprayer and can target the weeds pretty good.
Same: vinegar, salt, and soap solution. Kills weeds within 30 minutes or so, and won't harm the environment. But it'll harm all vegetation, so I only use on walkways or around the foundation. It will also sterilize the soil for a few months, so weeds won't come back.

Actual weeds I just uproot with a digger as I mow the lawn. The trick is to pull straight up to get the entire root. Just weed as you go and save your money - don't let your lawn get out of control.

+++ath0
NO CARRIER
+++ath0
NO CARRIER
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
With Killex 2,4-D: now 6 days after test application to a 1m square patch of lawn, the creeping buttercup weed is starting to look a little sickly, still green but starting to shrivel a bit. The grass seems ok.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3155 posts
12777 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
chillychin wrote: I generally lean towards wanting a larger concentration of kentucky blue grass.

Kentucky blue grass is a good type of grass as it grows via rhizomes - Meaning that any new grass grows grows out horizontally. So it can theoretically cover up bald spots and spread around.

The caveat to this type of grass though is that it tends to grow more shallow, so when the temperatures rise it requires more watering since its roots are not as deep. So it can turn brown more easily in hot temperatures.

But generally, what you want is a good grass mix - So really I usually just pick up a bag of something that at least contains some kentucky blue grass. Since we have varying temperatures, its good to have a mix of hot and cold season type of grass. So your grass stays more consistently green in all temperatures. So stuff from Canadian tire or home depot does work.

If you want a bit more of a no brainer thrown it down type of over seeding you can try this

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cil-g ... p.html#srp

Its similar to EZ Seed. Both of these bags contain a mix of grass, fertilizer etc. So you can throw it down and not worry too much about other stuff.

I would then mix in a bit more grass seed, and throw down some of this

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/scott ... p.html#srp

I know the EZ seed and the CIL can get expensive if you have a big lawn, or if you want to do your ENTIRE lawn, so these days I use it to spot treat.

I find I maybe spend no more then $50 a year for lawn supplies, if at all these days. Bag of CIL, fertilizer, some weed b gone can last me a year or two.

Just my two cents.
I have a left over bag from last year, its the scott premium grass seed and look like these type of grass seed are seasonal and the grass look like different from my existing lawn. The grass grow faster and are taller from my existing one.

If i overseed in fall they don't last till next year, I have did a test last year around May and the year after they were gone.
Rogers Unlimited Province, 12gb $39/month!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)