• Oct 1st, 2014 3:51 pm
Tags:
None
May 15, 2006
520 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto

Home Depot's Lifetime warranty on water heaters

Now that the good folks at Direct Energy (Ontario) have decided to change their terms and conditions on rental water heaters even more to their flavour ... I decide to look at buying my own from Home Depot. While I was there I notice that they offer lifetime extended warranty. Does anyone know the details? I believe you must buy the "best" water heater which offer a 12 year limited warranty and have HD install it. Thanks.

Update: From HD website on Extended Service Plans
** The Lifetime Water Heater Extended Service Plan is the only item that is not transferable.

Update 2: reported by Pete_Coach
you buy the tank from them and have them install it, then you get a "lifetime" limited warranty for the water heater. If you buy from them and get someone else to install it, the "lifetime" limited warranty will cost you $99.

Update 3
There are 3 levels of extended warranty (offered by a 3rd party):
If you buy the water heater that has 6 years warranty - pay $59 for 5 more years (in home labour only)
" " " " " " " " 9 " " - pay $79 for 8 " " (" " " " )
" " " " " " " " 12 " " - pay $99 for lifetime on all parts and labour (Blanket warranty)

The rep. claims that with the lifetime warranty, it will be the last water tank that you will buy.

If you need a 50/60 Gal. gas power vent tank - HD does not sell any 12 year tanks so you cannot buy the lifetime warranty.
None of my local stores do water heater installation. So I cannot verifiy Pete_Coach report (Update#2).
30 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12750 posts
3649 upvotes
You'll want to look into whether the warranty covers parts, labour, or both. A lot of these warranties just cover parts (and only for the original owner). As well, look into whether the warranty is pro-rated.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
6127 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting... I have never seen a lifetime warranty on a water heater. Do you have specs or the model?

As ^ mentioned, mostly cover just parts.

I priced out and got a typical 7 or 9 year warranty is parts, and 2 of those years is labor.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24569 posts
2333 upvotes
Ottawa
threeflags wrote:
Mar 14th, 2012 10:44 am
Now that the good folks at Direct Energy (Ontario) have decided to change their terms and conditions on rental water heaters even more to their flavour ... I decide to look at buy my own from Home Depot. While I was there I notice that they offer lifetime extended warranty. Does anyone know the details? I believe you must buy the "best" water heater which offer a 12 year limited warranty and have HD install it. Thanks.
Let me understand. You were at Home Depot. You "noticed" they were giving a lifetime warranty. Then you rush home and get on the internet and come on RFD and ask " Does anyone know the details?"?
I suspect that the guy at Home Depot...where you were when you made the discovery, would probably have the answers?
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2551 posts
524 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I was there a few weeks ago looking at the GE water heaters.

The 6, 9 or 12 year warranty they advertise on the units is for parts only. But they also offer the first year as a full warranty meaning it covers all parts and labour if anything happens during first 12 months. After the first year, you would need to pay for the labour.

Also make sure you understand exactly what parts of the heater are under warranty. I remember at least one of the main components (motor?) was not covered at all for some reason.

I've heard the heaters of the same size/company with longer warranties are actually made with better material, so they wont wear out as fast. So be cautious if buying the 6-yr warranty product.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1253 posts
162 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Mar 14th, 2012 4:37 pm
Let me understand. You were at Home Depot. You "noticed" they were giving a lifetime warranty. Then you rush home and get on the internet and come on RFD and ask " Does anyone know the details?"?
I suspect that the guy at Home Depot...where you were when you made the discovery, would probably have the answers?

+1 :cheesygri
[OP]
May 15, 2006
520 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Mar 14th, 2012 4:37 pm

OK let me detailed your understanding.
U: You were at Home Depot. You "noticed" they were giving a lifetime warranty.
M: Correct. There was a sign posted that indicated the various types of extended warranties that they offer.

U: Then you rush home and get on the internet and come on RFD and ask " Does anyone know the details?"?
M: Incorrect. Didn't rush home. I returned after my shopping and searched the internet the next day for more details. Having found no additional information on the HD website. I posted my Q here.

U: I suspect that the guy at Home Depot...where you were when you made the discovery, would probably have the answers
M: Maybe. I spoke to someone in plumbing for direction to the water heater section. Then I saw the sign. I guess I could have search around for someone to assistance further. However I decided not to, I would check at the front desk for printed literature as I would trusted printed material over the word of some employee. No literature was found.

Here's some additional information. My HD currently does not offer installation service for heaters. So the extend warraty may not apply. This could account for the lack of printed materials. Luckily for me, other HD stores are nearby and they may offer this service. Also, I believe the current on floor merchandise for 50 gallon power vent gas heaters is rate for only 6 years. To get the lifetime, one would need to buy the best level which is 12 years. I think HD could special order these however I'm pretty sure that the price is going to be more expensive.

That about sums it up.

Do you have any information that you would like to share with us?
Jul 26, 2010
827 posts
54 upvotes
eastern Ontario
I rememberibeing in one of the box lumber stores and getting frustrated in finding someone to help me. I expressed that to a young employee walking by and I suggested I need to go to the other box store to get some service. He responded " and how does that impact my life?" Probably I could have impacted it by getting him fired but instead I just went to the other box store.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24569 posts
2333 upvotes
Ottawa
threeflags wrote:
Mar 15th, 2012 10:46 am
OK let me detailed your understanding.
U: You were at Home Depot. You "noticed" they were giving a lifetime warranty.
M: Correct. There was a sign posted that indicated the various types of extended warranties that they offer.

U: Then you rush home and get on the internet and come on RFD and ask " Does anyone know the details?"?
M: Incorrect. Didn't rush home. I returned after my shopping and searched the internet the next day for more details. Having found no additional information on the HD website. I posted my Q here.

U: I suspect that the guy at Home Depot...where you were when you made the discovery, would probably have the answers
M: Maybe. I spoke to someone in plumbing for direction to the water heater section. Then I saw the sign. I guess I could have search around for someone to assistance further. However I decided not to, I would check at the front desk for printed literature as I would trusted printed material over the word of some employee. No literature was found.

Here's some additional information. My HD currently does not offer installation service for heaters. So the extend warraty may not apply. This could account for the lack of printed materials. Luckily for me, other HD stores are nearby and they may offer this service. Also, I believe the current on floor merchandise for 50 gallon power vent gas heaters is rate for only 6 years. To get the lifetime, one would need to buy the best level which is 12 years. I think HD could special order these however I'm pretty sure that the price is going to be more expensive.

That about sums it up.

Do you have any information that you would like to share with us?
Good summation. Exactly as I thought. It was easier for you to ask questions in a forum than to ask the store that is advertising the product. :facepalm:
I have no information to share except to offer a suggestion that one should ask the people who can give you definitive answers. It does prevent you from getting false hopes built on innuendo and rumours.
Point is,if you want the correct answers in the correct context, you need to ask the correct people and those would be at the Home Depot where you "notice that they offer lifetime extended warranty".
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1211 posts
170 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Pete_Coach, just in case you live in the GTA, would you be so kind to direct me to a Home Depot that for certain will have at least one qualified employee that for certain will be capable of answering the following basic questions with regards to a water heater:

1. How often, or ever do you have sales on water heater?
2. What brands of Power Direct Vented gas water heaters you can order for me?
3. What brand do you recommend, and why?
4. How does your brand compares to other brands not carried by HD, but available from other retailers in the GTA?
5. What kind of warranty do I get when I'll buy it from HD, and if I chose to install it myself?
6. Doe the warranty cover both parts and labour?
7. If I get the tank installed by HD what warranty will I get? Who would arrange for repairs in case of a problem? Do I call HD, or do I call third-party installer (who might be out of business by the time I have a problem), or do I call the manufacturer?
8. What are the efficiency ratings of the models that you have available?
9. How are the tanks constructed, what design elements do they have to ensure long trouble-free operations?

Guess what? So far I failed miserably to find a HD, or Rona, or Lowe's store where I could get answers to these questions. This is also a reason why I come back to this forum on RFD to get more info, and why I haven't yet got off the rental band wagon.

Do you have something constructive to offer, or are you satisfied by answers received from unqualified personnel working part-time for a minimum wage at big box retail stores?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24569 posts
2333 upvotes
Ottawa
LarryLat wrote:
Mar 17th, 2012 4:13 pm
Pete_Coach, just in case you live in the GTA, would you be so kind to direct me to a Home Depot that for certain will have at least one qualified employee that for certain will be capable of answering the following basic questions with regards to a water heater:

1. How often, or ever do you have sales on water heater?
2. What brands of Power Direct Vented gas water heaters you can order for me?
3. What brand do you recommend, and why?
4. How does your brand compares to other brands not carried by HD, but available from other retailers in the GTA?
5. What kind of warranty do I get when I'll buy it from HD, and if I chose to install it myself?
6. Doe the warranty cover both parts and labour?
7. If I get the tank installed by HD what warranty will I get? Who would arrange for repairs in case of a problem? Do I call HD, or do I call third-party installer (who might be out of business by the time I have a problem), or do I call the manufacturer?
8. What are the efficiency ratings of the models that you have available?
9. How are the tanks constructed, what design elements do they have to ensure long trouble-free operations?

Guess what? So far I failed miserably to find a HD, or Rona, or Lowe's store where I could get answers to these questions. This is also a reason why I come back to this forum on RFD to get more info, and why I haven't yet got off the rental band wagon.

Do you have something constructive to offer
, or are you satisfied by answers received from unqualified personnel working part-time for a minimum wage at big box retail stores?
I do have something constructive to offer. Instead of trying to be a smart a$$, try using some common sense and find out for yourself. Trying to get all your answers from a forum full of opinion is as helpful as a rectal pluck. Go to someone who can give you the answers. All Home Depot's have an installation department. They have people there that have the answers and whatever they make is really inconsequential isn't it, they do work there. I presume you are saying that people who make minimum wage are all stupid and have no answers?
No, I do not live in the GTA but, if you are so hamstrung that you cannot get to a store, they have a 1-800 number that will provide a person to give you answers.
Now, having said that, yes, I am in the market and did go and find out. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and am waiting to hear from some independent retailers/installers. For the OP and his superhero (you), the "deal" at Home Depot is that if you buy the tank from them and have them install it, then you get a "lifetime" limited warranty for the water heater. If you buy from them and get someone else to install it, the "lifetime" limited warranty will cost you $99. This information was right at their water heater display. For all the details and fine print, you will have to unfortunately get off your couch and actually go to them.
As for "failing miserably", perhaps your approach and technique requires work? The people and answers are there, your effort may not. I found enough info to know that a storage tank water heater is really not much more efficient today as it was 20 years ago. I also found I do not want a "power vent" type for my application or home. I also know that there is not much difference between brands.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke
LarryLat wrote:
Mar 17th, 2012 4:13 pm
1. How often, or ever do you have sales on water heater? I was in HD yesterday to pick up some ducting, there 10 mins and 2 heater left the shelf.
2. What brands of Power Direct Vented gas water heaters you can order for me? From what I saw GE is what they carry, I doubt they will order another brand that they don't sell
3. What brand do you recommend, and why? They will recomment what they sell.
5. What kind of warranty do I get when I'll buy it from HD, and if I chose to install it myself? Warranty varies by grade (good 6yr, better 9yr, best 12yr) covered by the manufacture whether you install or a pro (I would think)
6. Doe the warranty cover both parts and labour?1 year labour and full for manufacture defects 6, 9 or 12yr
7. If I get the tank installed by HD what warranty will I get? Who would arrange for repairs in case of a problem? Do I call HD, or do I call third-party installer (who might be out of business by the time I have a problem), or do I call the manufacturer? Manufacture
8. What are the efficiency ratings of the models that you have available? They have a chart in store that you can take home, I did that yesterday so I can make an informed decission before I purchase one.
9. How are the tanks constructed, what design elements do they have to ensure long trouble-free operations? Once you decide on what model/make you want. Research it on the interweb. Most if not all are ceramic coated internally.

Do you have something constructive to offer, or are you satisfied by answers received from unqualified personnel working part-time for a minimum wage at big box retail stores?

You could also walk into the nearest NOBLE and ask questions there. This is a HVAC/Plumbing wholesale outlet that would have guys more qualified to answer some of your questions.
[OP]
May 15, 2006
520 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Mar 18th, 2012 9:04 am
Instead of trying to be a smart a$$, try using some common sense and find out for yourself. Trying to get all your answers from a forum full of opinion is as helpful as a rectal pluck.

If these forums are so "full of opinion ... helpful as a rectal pluck" how come you post so often? You post 1000s in the TRAVEL section. You seem to be helpful and I see many have thanked you for your comments. So why are you so bitter to LarryLat and I? There is no need to be rude, calling people a A$$, superhero or giving me a side fingers (should I take that to mean an upward finger?). I simply ask a question in this discussion forum. You needn't comment on every thread that you see. In the Travel forum, do you typically said stuff like: there's stuff to see there and find out for yourself? I don't think so, so why do you feel it necessary to say that to me?

Pete_Coach wrote:
... Go to someone who can give you the answers. All Home Depot's have an installation department. They have people there that have the answers ... if you are so hamstrung that you cannot get to a store, they have a 1-800 number that will provide a person to give you answers.
As for calling, I just did ... unfortunately the operator's response to my questions on water heaters was to contact the store. As installation is handled individually on a store to store basis. So if you recall, from an earlier post, my local store does not offer water heater installation. So even if I stayed at the store and asked the employees ... what do you think they would say?
Pete_Coach wrote:
... Now, having said that, yes, I am in the market and did go and find out. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and am waiting to hear from some independent retailers/installers. For the OP and his superhero (you), the "deal" at Home Depot is that if you buy the tank from them and have them install it, then you get a "lifetime" limited warranty for the water heater. If you buy from them and get someone else to install it, the "lifetime" limited warranty will cost you $99. This information was right at their water heater display. For all the details and fine print, you will have to unfortunately get off your couch and actually go to them.
However when you use the "lifetime" in quotes ... isn't that the same things that I originally asked? You called me lazy and then gave me the finger. Is it better to start a thread just saying "HD offers "lifetime" on water heaters call for details"? As you didn't say anything further regarding the details what does that say about you? When you chimed in with the bit about who does that installation ... now that's adding value to our discussion. People can judge this informative for what's it worth.

When I get more of the "details", would you like me to share it with our forum members which also include yourself? Check out the HOT DEALS forum sometime, there you will find fine examples of people telling others of deals that they came across. You won't find threads that say "Found A store (not telling you) that is giving away PCs for free. Get them while you can".

P.S. If you are coaching people, I truly hope that your better than this.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24569 posts
2333 upvotes
Ottawa
threeflags wrote:
Mar 19th, 2012 3:27 pm
If these forums are so "full of opinion ... helpful as a rectal pluck" how come you post so often? You post 1000s in the TRAVEL section. You seem to be helpful and I see many have thanked you for your comments. So why are you so bitter to LarryLat and I? There is no need to be rude, calling people a A$$, superhero or giving me a side fingers (should I take that to mean an upward finger?). I simply ask a question in this discussion forum. You needn't comment on every thread that you see. In the Travel forum, do you typically said stuff like: there's stuff to see there and find out for yourself? I don't think so, so why do you feel it necessary to say that to me?

As for calling, I just did ... unfortunately the operator's response to my questions on water heaters was to contact the store. As installation is handled individually on a store to store basis. So if you recall, from an earlier post, my local store does not offer water heater installation. So even if I stayed at the store and asked the employees ... what do you think they would say?

However when you use the "lifetime" in quotes ... isn't that the same things that I originally asked? You called me lazy and then gave me the finger. Is it better to start a thread just saying "HD offers "lifetime" on water heaters call for details"? As you didn't say anything further regarding the details what does that say about you? When you chimed in with the bit about who does that installation ... now that's adding value to our discussion. People can judge this informative for what's it worth.

When I get more of the "details", would you like me to share it with our forum members which also include yourself? Check out the HOT DEALS forum sometime, there you will find fine examples of people telling others of deals that they came across. You won't find threads that say "Found A store (not telling you) that is giving away PCs for free. Get them while you can".

P.S. If you are coaching people, I truly hope that your better than this.
Touchy aren't we. Yes, I do try to be helpful in many of the forums, but I also point out to people that they are quite capable of getting information too. Both of you did not ask questions when you were in the store. When it was pointed out to you, you get on your haunches and come up with a few more tidbits of info. If you would have mentioned some of those things in your initial post, you may have gotten a different response.
As for the "finger" you claim you were given, it is a facepalm, something quite different http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ace%20palm. Take it easy, no one was fingering you.
I think I gave the details. I told you the "deal" at Home Depot is that if you buy the tank from them and have them install it, then you get a "lifetime" limited warranty for the water heater. If you buy from them and get someone else to install it, the "lifetime" limited warranty will cost you $99. This information was right at their water heater display."
As far as coaching, I coached sports. I expect effort from each and every one of my athletes. I coached at a high level and also expected them to know or have the ability to get information, go to the right assistant or position coaches. A smart player athlete is an asset, a not so smart one takes up precious time from others and the game. I do not tolerate or will have lazy players on my teams.
Ease up, don't get overwhelmed by your emotions, read what is written and understand that the information is there.
[OP]
May 15, 2006
520 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Bump up ... new details on the warranty. The lifetime warranty sounds impressive provided it underwritten by a major insurance company. Then again, we all seen "Companies too large to fail" do recently. You put your money down and take your chances.

Pete_Coach ... if you think I was emotional ... you would have seen a vastly different reply.
× < >