• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2018 4:05 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2011
339 posts
67 upvotes
GTA

Home Dog Grooming

So, I want to take a stab at grooming my cockapoo myself. Does anyone groom their own pets? If so, can you recommend at good set of clippers for a cockapoo? i want to keep her coat relatively long so basically I want to just trim rather than shave.
Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.
3 replies
Aug 15, 2015
483 posts
72 upvotes
Markham, ON
Have you visited a store near you to see what is available? There's plenty of options in a tiny little store. People tend to make their purchases during the purchase or adoption of their first dog. After the first dog, all the dogs after that dog will get to use all the previous dog's goodies (or whatever is left of them).
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4694 posts
294 upvotes
Has she been professionally groomed before? Did you like the groomer's work? If so, could you perhaps ask the groomer for advice on equipment and perhaps even a 1:1 tutorial to give you some tips on how to do it?
Last edited by amz155 on Jan 11th, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 16, 2007
655 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Took my maltese to a groomer for years at $68 a pop. I decided to ditch the groomer. Groomer was amazing, but just decided I wanted to pocket the $$$. I bought a cheap set of cordless trimmers. I watched a ton of YT videos. But I still made an ugly mess of things.

Thankfully, everything grew back and I'll be attempting my second try in a few weeks. I'll get better with practice.

If you can get your dog to stand still on the kitchen table for 10-15 minutes at a time and not be afraid to use scissors to trim the ears and face hairs, you should be fine.