• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2010 12:19 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 24, 2008
53 posts
23 upvotes

Home email server to sync Desktop and Laptop Email Clients

I am looking for ideas to solve a problem of mine.

I'm currently transitioning from Windows(desktop) to Linux(Laptop), and want to access my ISP provided email account on both systems.

At my work we use MS Exchange and that works great! what with the synchronizing emails and folders. But it's pretty expensive and complicated, not something I'm willing to get into for this home issue.

I've done some googling, but I may be searching for the wrong key words..

Is there a program that will act as a server and download my emails to Desktop, and then I can point the Email clients to this localhost/network server to keep the clients up to date?

I don't want to make new email addresses, I just want to use my ISP provided email and have a program handle incoming/outgoing/synchronization between 2 Clients, and keep it all up to date.

Should I be looking for an IMAP server??
6 replies
Feb 14, 2008
156 posts
16 upvotes
Calgary
Who is your ISP? A lot of ISPs these day provide webmail access. eg: Shaw, Telus

Also, what are you using right now to access your mail? If it's via POP, you can configure your email client to leave the messages on the server and not delete them so all your computers can download them. Sent messages would only be available on the client you sent them from though.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2008
1321 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario
Thunderbird + Imap protocol

or

Thunderbird + POP Protocol (leave all messages on server)
"blackbox 2.2 aluminus"[INDENT]
Core i5 2500K / Asus P8P67 / 16 GB DDR3
GTX 580 / Samsung 27"
Intel 320 120GB / Win7Pro64
[/INDENT]
[OP]
Nov 24, 2008
53 posts
23 upvotes
disordered wrote:
Apr 6th, 2010 2:10 am
Who is your ISP? A lot of ISPs these day provide webmail access. eg: Shaw, Telus

Also, what are you using right now to access your mail? If it's via POP, you can configure your email client to leave the messages on the server and not delete them so all your computers can download them. Sent messages would only be available on the client you sent them from though.
I use cogeco(POP), and I don't think they let you keep too much on the server at a time. I sometimes receive large emails, so I'm worried it will fill up quick.
Cogeco DOES have a webmail site, but it is really basic, and I can't archive/sort emails properly there.

Was really hoping for a server proxy that would handle it locally on my desktop.
Oct 13, 2008
358 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
I see that you want to use your ISP provided mail account, but I found that without setting up and exchange server with activesych, it simply didn't work. So, what I ended up doing was creating a gmail account, and setting that as my primary email. Then I set up my shaw account to auto-forward email to my gmail at the server. Been using it like this for quite some time now, and it works good. I'm slowly giving up my old shaw email account in the process as well, which eliminates the @shaw.ca part of it, so if I choose to change ISPs, I don't lose my email address. I've set up all the email clients on various devices to use IMAP, so everything is the same no matter what/where the email is accessed.
Jan 31, 2008
131 posts
1 upvote
Barrie
You could create a new Gmail account, and set it up to retrieve your Cogeco e-mail via POP, and check it there. You can even set gmail to reply with your Cogeco e-mail either with Gmail SMTP, or your Cogeco SMTP.
Dec 23, 2006
598 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
codetrap wrote:
Apr 6th, 2010 10:40 am
i see that you want to use your isp provided mail account, but i found that without setting up and exchange server with activesych, it simply didn't work. So, what i ended up doing was creating a gmail account, and setting that as my primary email. Then i set up my shaw account to auto-forward email to my gmail at the server. Been using it like this for quite some time now, and it works good. I'm slowly giving up my old shaw email account in the process as well, which eliminates the @shaw.ca part of it, so if i choose to change isps, i don't lose my email address. I've set up all the email clients on various devices to use imap, so everything is the same no matter what/where the email is accessed.
+1
ardenn wrote:
Apr 9th, 2010 12:07 am
you could create a new gmail account, and set it up to retrieve your cogeco e-mail via pop, and check it there. You can even set gmail to reply with your cogeco e-mail either with gmail smtp, or your cogeco smtp.
+1

+2?