• Nov 15th, 2017 10:33 am
[OP]
Mar 15, 2011
220 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga

At Home Fitness equipment for beginner

Hello,

I'm looking to get an at home ab workout and was considering getting an abdominal roller (online, likely sportchek or amazon). Can anyone recommend a good @ home ab machine/equipment for a newbie?

thanks,
6 replies
Feb 13, 2015
875 posts
126 upvotes
Oakville, ON
You dont need much if core is what you are trying to train.

Yoga ball, bosu ball, ab roller, pull up bar, medicine ball.

Yoga ball or bosy ball can be used to planks, there are many variations of this exercise. E.g. 2 legs, 1 leg, 1 arm or 2 arms.. play around with it.
Pull up bar can be used for leg raises. Progress from knee to leg raises. Watch your momentum and try not to swing. You can do static holds or progress to leg raises all the way uo but slowly bringing them down.

Ab roller is self explanatory.

Medicine ball you can do ball slams/throws, overhead tosses while in hook lying position or crossovers while in V-sit position.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2011
220 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
th12mq wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:24 pm
You dont need much if core is what you are trying to train.

Yoga ball, bosu ball, ab roller, pull up bar, medicine ball.

Yoga ball or bosy ball can be used to planks, there are many variations of this exercise. E.g. 2 legs, 1 leg, 1 arm or 2 arms.. play around with it.
Pull up bar can be used for leg raises. Progress from knee to leg raises. Watch your momentum and try not to swing. You can do static holds or progress to leg raises all the way uo but slowly bringing them down.

Ab roller is self explanatory.

Medicine ball you can do ball slams/throws, overhead tosses while in hook lying position or crossovers while in V-sit position.
Thanks for the advice. I was wondering how much to spend on a ab roller/medicine ball. Amazon has ones for $20 and then pricier stuff for $50. Are there any brands you'd recommend.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4522 posts
246 upvotes
I'd just get an ab wheel from Winners or The Treadmill Factory. It's not really a beginner's tool though, IMO. You'd have to have some baseline core strength to avoid trunk extension. Also, be careful with your wrists and shoulders.
Jan 4, 2017
141 posts
38 upvotes
If you're truly a beginner, I would just look up a simple ab program that consists of variations crunches/sit-ups/planks/leg lifts/v-ups/etc. Once you get good at those, then you can move on to bosu balls and ab rollers.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1117 posts
202 upvotes
Kanata
Why is it that you just want to train your abs?
[OP]
Mar 15, 2011
220 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Dark Phoenix wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:07 pm
Why is it that you just want to train your abs?
I do cardio at the gym and then the machine circuit consisting of arms and legs. Its not a full gym, so they don't have ab specific machines, so that is why on my off days, I wanted to throw in some ab exercise.